RPG Print News – Free League, Modiphius, Mongoose, and More

Mongoose Traveller, Achtung! Cthulhu, Star Trek, Dragonbane, D&D 5E, G.I. JOE RPG, Pathfinder 2E, OSR, and Storytelling games all have new products this week.

Mongoose Traveller gets a cargo bay full of rule and adventure support. Modiphius supports 2d20 games including Achtung! Cthulhu and Star Trek. Dragonbane gets a starter guide, GM screen, and more dice. Dungeons & Dragons 5E is supported with a book on ruined lands with lots of new rules and the G.I. JOE RPG gets Cobra miniatures. Pathfinder Second Edition gets mini adventures and the OSR gets new rules. Finally, there are dice bags for Storytelling games.
Note: RPG Print News covers new RPG releases and some classics, reprints, and sales available from retailers. It does not cover products that are only available directly to customers only through Kickstarter or as print on demand.

152 journal traveller 7.JPG
152 journal traveller 8.JPG

The Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society - Volume 7 | The Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society - Volume 8 by Mongoose Publishing
  • SYSTEM: Mongoose Traveller Second Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover digest supplements
  • RETAIL PRICE: $24.99 each
  • DESCRIPTION: In Volume Seven: two adventures, the alien Ithklur, a beast called the Harlari, new gear: Initial 24 Armaments Go Cases and Initial Arms Energy Weapons, new areas of charted space and new encounters, new ship support: Advanced Lasers and the Golden Dawn Yacht, new patrons, vehicle support with the Iderati Space Defence System, Deepnight Character Creation, and Immigration in the Imperium. In Volume Eight: two adventures, the alien Halkans, beasts (Atichnae, Ynchaeir, and Giant Scuttlefish), gear: the Gauss Rifle's Big Brother and Omicron - The Mythical Weaponsmith. New space and NPC encounters. The Sojourner Light Trader, the Hunter career, a patron, BB-2 Nuclear Powered Bus, and more.
152 vive la resistance.JPG
152 star trek lower decks.JPG

Vive La Resistance | Star Trek: Lower Decks Campaign Guide by Modiphius Entertainment
  • SYSTEM: Achtung! Cthulhu 2d20/Star Trek Adventures 2d20
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover supplement/hardcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $30.99/$54.99
  • DESCRIPTION: Refuse, Resist, Retaliate. PCs get new Resistance archetypes like Assassin, Saboteur, Propagandist, or Resistance Leader, with new weapons, equipment, and tools to help heroic Resistance movements rise up to counter the hated occupier. Resistance games are thrilling but deadly and the possibility of discovery or betrayal is constant but the struggle for liberation can be an inspirational one. Features: archetypes, backgrounds, characteristics, Dauntless Resistance NPCs and evil Nazi nemeses, weapons, tools, equipment, a demonology spellbook, and tables and charts to create randomly-generated Resistance missions and objectives. For GMs there are also five new Resistance-themed sandbox adventures to run. The Star Trek: Lower Decks Campaign Guide provides detailed advice on creating junior officers with the irreverent tone presented in Star Trek: Lower Decks. PC junior officers may clean holodeck biofilters (yuck), conduct an anomaly consolidation day, participate in a second contact, or enjoy some well-earned Buffer Time. New lifepath options for player characters, including eight new playable species (including Cetaceans, Gorn, Pakleds, and Exocomps). Game statistics and graphics for seven spaceframes, including the California, Obena, and Parliament classes, and game statistics for over 20 ships from Starfleet and other polities (as well as a selection of ground vehicles). New gear, technologies, and creatures, and a complete system for creating creatures. More than 50 NPCs of different species. And finally, a three-part mini-campaign.
152 dragonbane quickstart.JPG
152 dragonbane gm screen.JPG
152 dragonbane dice.JPG

Dragonbane Quickstart Guide | Dragonbane GM Screen | Dragonbane Dice Set (6) by Free League
  • SYSTEM: Dragonbane RPG
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover supplement/screen/dice
  • RETAIL PRICE: $6.99/$24.99/$19.99
  • DESCRIPTION: The Dragonbane Quickstart Guide includes condensed rules for mirth and mayhem roleplaying, a complete adventure, and five pre-generated characters. PCs experience magic, mystery, and adventure, room for laughs at the table and even a pinch of silliness while still offering brutal challenges for the adventurers. A GM Screen and a set of Dragonbane Dice are also available. Note: one dice set is already included in the Dragonbane RPG box set listed above. The transparent dice include one each of D4, D6, D8, D10, D12, and D20. The D20 has custom engraved symbols on the 1 and 20 sides, to mark dragon rolls and demon rolls.
152 wastes of chaos.JPG
152 wastes of chaos limited.JPG

Wastes of Chaos | Wastes of Chaos (Limited Edition) by Kobold Press
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $49.99/79.95
  • DESCRIPTION: Helps to create adventures in ruined lands, including: chaos magic, corrupted locales, fiendish cults, ancient treasures, four playable races and subraces like automatons and dust goblins, eight subclasses such as the doombringer fighter and the wasteland ranger, four wasteland factions and their followers, 38 new creatures including the eldritch horror and the chaos drake, new spells, magic items, and more. Limited Edition has two-color foil, chaos-flavored endpapers, and a ribbon bookmark.
152 gi joe mini.JPG
152 cobra con fusion.JPG

G.I. Joe RPG Villain Miniatures Set #1 | Cobra/Con Fusion (Free RPG Day 2023) by Renegade Games Studios
  • SYSTEM: G.I. JOE RPG
  • PRODUCT TYPE: box set of 12 unpainted 28 mm miniatures/softcover adventure
  • RETAIL PRICE: $55/$0.01 with another purchase
  • DESCRIPTION: The G.I. JOE RPG Villain Miniatures Set #1 includes antagonists or possibly Allies or Player Characters if using the Cobra Codex. Contents: Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander, Destro, Serpentor, Major Bludd, Dr. Mindbender, and more. Cobra/Con Fusion is a crossover scenario (Transformers RPG) with Cobra up to their villainous deeds again, but this time using Cybertronian technology.
152 black pudding 7.JPG
152 black pudding journal.JPG

Black Pudding #7 | Black Pudding Adventure Journal by Random Order Creations
  • SYSTEM: B/X OSR
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover supplements
  • RETAIL PRICE: $6.49 each
  • DESCRIPTION: Black Pudding #7 includes a small number of character classes such as the eyeball, as well as a few new monsters, such as the incredibly handsome grave crusader. There is a gazetteer of the world of Yria including the five cities of Yria, many random tables, and small blurbs suggesting other parts of the world. The mythos of twelve deities is also covered. The Black Pudding Adventure Journal has lined pages for recording campaign and adventure notes. The journal is A5 size and has 24 lined pages printed on uncoated 100gsm paper and a 350gsm card cover.
152 mini-dungeon.JPG

Mini-Dungeon Tome by AAW Games
  • SYSTEM: Pathfinder Second Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $59.99
  • DESCRIPTION: More than 130 complete and ready-to-run scenarios from the depths of the darkest dungeons to the primal dangers of the untamed wilderness. Themed and organized for convenience, these setting-neutral fantasy adventures work for every party level and size. Reference materials are included in a convenient index.
152 vampire dice bag.JPG
152 hunter dice bag.JPG

Vampire the Masquerade Dice Bag | Hunter the Reckoning Dice Bag by Renegade Game Studios

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

antiwesley

Unpaid Scientific Adviser (Ret.)
I could also simply point out that this list is also just an opinion of Charles.
Other people post items that they favour over someone else. It's but a small sampling of many other items that may not ever see a mention on these very pages simply because he thinks it's not worthy.
Does Charles feature only items that interest him?
Does Charles feature items that may possibly net him more payola affilate credit than other items?
I'm sure if you were to look at the stats for the products presented, the bell curve's height would be centered on 5E and Pathfinder offers,
not only because they are popular items, but he makes money from EVERY purchase made with his afillate link.
Thus, he is incentivized to feature more popular materials as well.

This is more of an exercise in futility than thought, mainly because switching from the payola afilliate links will inevitably in the long run,
cost him income, as little as it may be. He won't change for the good of the people, he'll keep plugging away with links that put money into his pockets. DJ's often bought into the 'pay for play' scheme because they made more money than they sometimes would be being paid by the station. So how has it really changed? Different name, same scheme.

@antiwesley I wish you the best, but I think you have missed the point that you are stepping over the line of what is and is not an insult.

Stating four facts here.

1.) I write about RPGs because RPGs are a lifestyle for me. Of all the important things in my life, they are the least of the important things. But they are important. Also important are all the other readers, players, GMs, creators including other writers, game companies, fan sites, hobby RPG stores, YouTube RPG channels, and more out there also enjoying the hobby. One reason I also do RPG interviews.

2.) Writing (and other RPG creating skills) should make anyone who can sell their work money, including me. I'm not embarrassed by that, I'm proud that I can make a bit of money with my hard work.

3.) I actually rarely post WotC D&D or Paizo Pathfinder books with the occasional exception of deluxe versions. Other writers on EN World cover both of those companies really well so I don't feel the need to double up and list those here as well. I actually try to cover mid-size companies all the way down to one person operations and sometimes follow up a new find with an interview in a later article. One caveat is an RPG has to be available in the physical retail market space since I'm covering RPG books (and occasional support items) traditionally printed and available.

4.) I need to post to hobby stores for two reasons. One is to support hobby stores which help gamers find each other and in many cases try out new RPGs or at least read new RPGs on the shelves. Two is to find new RPGs I've never heard of before. If I only went to company websites, I'd never find new RPGs like TerrorHog. My articles would revolve around only the small handful of RPG companies I know about well enough to go to their company websites on a regular basis. And some RPG creators don't have company websites at all. Linking only to company websites would make this column much less useful and cut out the RPG creators without a company website or storefront.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm more insulted by people posting that I make them feel like my posts have touched them in a bad place. I'm a polymath with poor social skills. Goes with the territory.

Mod Note:
First, please read our Terms and rules. If you see a moderator post in "Mod voice" (indicated by red text and such), that is not an opportunity to discuss the moderation. If you have an issue, we ask that you reach out using our Private Message system, rather than clutter the discussion with it. Please don't respond to moderation in-thread.

Second, we are sorry to hear your social skills aren't up to snuff. We cannot take that as an excuse for treating people poorly. We expect and require folks show a baseline level of respect for their fellow posters. You may need to come up with techniques to manage that.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads