D&D 5E Helping melee combat to be more competitive to ranged.

cmad1977

Hero
Funny, I thought I was talking to Hemlock. In fact, don't I remember telling you to take your reprehensible blame-it-on-the-DM argument elsewhere, Cmad?

Ah, yes, here it was. Let me repeat my answer, since it still holds true.

Funny how it's
A: a public forum
And
B: still within the DMs power to easily make either type of play possible.

It's as if it was the intention of the designers to empower the DM with the ability to mold the game to their liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapnZapp

Legend
Hmm. So when you talk about "mitigating" the -5 part of the -5/+10 things, how are you contrasting this with "what you'd get if you used those same tactics to gain plusses, and didn't offset them with the -5 to hit"?

Say you have a tactic which allows you to get +5 to hit, precisely offsetting the -5. Is taking the -5/+10 necessarily better than keeping the +5?
That is a valid question, Seebs.

If you can come up with another source of great damage, or even a build where something else is more valuable than damage; I'm all ears, because we haven't (so far).

Regards
Zapp

PS. This still leaves the remaining issue to be addressed. Namely, that no matter how you increase your damage potential from (weapon + ability) x attacks, to (weapon + ability + a shitload of extra damage) x (attacks plus bonus attack), you're still faced with the reality that the monster manual wasn't designed to withstand effectively "double damage".

CapnZapp

Legend
I think, instead of -5/+10, the feat would work better if it were based upon proficiency in some way.

"Take a penalty to your attack roll that may be up to your proficiency bonus. If the attack hits, you deal extra damage equal to twice that penalty."

Between 3e's Power Attack and 5e, the designers decided that getting to choose the penalty/bonus for each attack wasn't as fun/balanced for some reason. I think it was 4e that moved to the current rule, and 5e just stuck with it figuring that it works better for most games.

But there is of course no reason not to switch to what you say if your players want that granularity of choice.

And I like basing it on Proficiency.
We've tried it. Unfortunately, while it does help with the low-level issue ("how the hull does a level 1 fighter do 25 damage with a single blow?!" the overall impact on build choices is minimal.

At level 11, where the Crossbow Expert fighter gets four attacks, the proficiency bonus is +4. Only two levels later, it brings back the exact same -5/+10 mechanic as in the original.

My conclusion is that this solution works only if you're running a predominantly low-level game, one that is likely to end at level ten, twelve or so.

For a more general solution, my only finding is to remove the mechanism entirely. For what it's worth, this has been discussed extensively elsewhere with the consensus being to replace the -5/+10 part with a straight and simple "+1 to Strength (max 20)".

CapnZapp

Legend
Unless of course the DM is someone who doesn't believe that ranged combat is mechanically superior to melee so is unwilling to make any changes because they believe nothing is wrong in the first place.
Or, perhaps more pertinently, unless the DM's players are somebodys who doesn't believe that.

After all, this doesn't become an issue unless the players explore the new generous ranged options.

CapnZapp

Legend
The -5/+10 is important to keeping Fighters relevant--otherwise archers would just all be Sorlocks using Spell Sniper Hexed Agonizing Eldritch Spear, and sometimes Quicken another one to boot, and have no logistics to worry about. But there are situations where you don't want to use it even if you have it.
Whatever reasons the designers had to include GWM and SS, I really don't believe it was to compete with that.

Funny how your players must have found the Sorlock combo early (while mine didn't, instead finding the SS/CE combo), Hemlock.

CapnZapp

Legend
Every edition is a reaction to earlier editions. In this case, they saw that people weren't happy dealing less damage in Pathfinder,...
Just a quick question - you sure you don't mean 3rd edition? Pathfinder is not a WotC game.

Ranged attacks are better than melee attacks, when everything else is equal, which is why you need something else to not be equal.
Exactly this.

Thank you.

CapnZapp

Legend
Funny how it's
A: a public forum
And
B: still within the DMs power to easily make either type of play possible.

It's as if it was the intention of the designers to empower the DM with the ability to mold the game to their liking.
This still doesn't even begin to explain why the designers couldn't have made the game work from the beginning, instead of you blaming DMs if they don't fix WotCs mistakes for them.

DMs empowered to tweak the game is a good thing. You're confusing that with the responsibility for making the base game (the game the DMs then tweak) work.

Or more accurately, you seem unable to accept that the designers still need to make the base game work, even though it is technically within the realm of possibilities for each of us DMs to make it work using our empowerment to tweak it.

In short, your argument is irrelevant and needlessly shifts blame onto those that does not deserve it.

cmad1977

Hero
This still doesn't even begin to explain why the designers couldn't have made the game work from the beginning, instead of you blaming DMs if they don't fix WotCs mistakes for them.

DMs empowered to tweak the game is a good thing. You're confusing that with the responsibility for making the base game (the game the DMs then tweak) work.

Or more accurately, you seem unable to accept that the designers still need to make the base game work, even though it is technically within the realm of possibilities for each of us DMs to make it work using our empowerment to tweak it.

In short, your argument is irrelevant and needlessly shifts blame onto those that does not deserve it.

If the base game 'didn't work' it wouldn't be enjoying the sales and success that it is. You're premise is silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rhenny

Adventurer
I think you are completely correct - I too believe this.

But as a customer, we do not need to look at the greater situation. Keeping a watch out for unintended systemic consequences is something we pay designers for.

If taken to a somewhat extreme point, you and I could both want to play the Legolas, but that only works if somebody else plays the Gimli.

Many posters here doesn't have any problems right now, but I foresee how the game will get ripped to shreds when all their players start playing the Legolas and none the Gimli.

The game simply can't handle an all-Legolas party. It's not built for it. It's quite evidently not designed with this assumption in mind.

But more importantly - I don't think it leads to a fun game. That is what I meant above: playing the Legolas is fun precisely because you're a special snowflake. In a game with only Legolases and no Gimlis, it's not funny anymore. And when the laughter has died down, all you're left with is a broken game. A game that's built on fantasy melee assumptions but where players run modern range and mobility tactics.

(I don't have anything against games revolving around modern SWAT-teams, but it sure as hell ain't what I play D&D for)

I'm convinced WotC designers simply and honestly forgot to make sure the most fundamental assumptions of the game would still be true, even after meeting these customer demands on point after point after point.

I'm convinced WotC needed to have said "no" at some point. For the game to keep featuring traditional D&D combats, there needs to be a significant downside to ranged builds.

Where to put that downside is certainly something we can discuss, just as long as it's there - somewhere.

Yes, I see what you mean, and I totally support all discussion where community members point out what they feel as flaw in an attempt to determine a way to modify.

I think overall with 5e, WotC is using more fluff and story as well as a reliance on most groups choosing PCs based on "fun" and desire to play different builds -without overmaximizing party construction, to keep control of the extremes. For that, DMs will have to make their own limitations if and when they feel that there is something "broken." This isn't an excuse defending them. It is just pointing out a design choice that will make some more happy, some less happy and others indifferent.

The fact that some want more powerful ranged attackers, some want more powerful melee attackers, some want more spellcaster dominance, some want more melee dominance, is a Catch-22 that WotC realized from the get go with 5e. In a way, they had to accept that people would need to modify the game to their own tastes. That's the lesson learned from their examination of the way an aggregate of people played all D&D versions from basic through 4e.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Yes, I see what you mean, and I totally support all discussion where community members point out what they feel as flaw in an attempt to determine a way to modify.

I think overall with 5e, WotC is using more fluff and story as well as a reliance on most groups choosing PCs based on "fun" and desire to play different builds -without overmaximizing party construction, to keep control of the extremes. For that, DMs will have to make their own limitations if and when they feel that there is something "broken." This isn't an excuse defending them. It is just pointing out a design choice that will make some more happy, some less happy and others indifferent.

The fact that some want more powerful ranged attackers, some want more powerful melee attackers, some want more spellcaster dominance, some want more melee dominance, is a Catch-22 that WotC realized from the get go with 5e. In a way, they had to accept that people would need to modify the game to their own tastes. That's the lesson learned from their examination of the way an aggregate of people played all D&D versions from basic through 4e.

But....but...then who do we blame?!?!?

Remove ads