Judgement calls vs "railroading"

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Why does the character want silk? Well, if the player won't tell the GM - as in, if the players are trying to establish fictional positioning ("I've got a bolt of silk!") that they see as giving them an advantage down the track that they don't want to betray to the GM - then we are already so far from playing in my preferred style that none of the stuff I've been talking about really has any bearing at all.
Read literally, this tells me nothing can happen in your game just for the hell of it or for no particular reason other than "because", which sounds stiflingly dull.

But assuming that the GM understands, from the motivational/dramatic/thematic point of view, why silk matters, then that tells the GM how to handle the matter: say "yes"; frame a haggling check; open up the possibility of dealing with smugglers; etc.
In your game, would the following exchange be able to occur:

Player (whose character has rarely expressed interest in shopping and has never mentioned silk before): "Hey guys, I'm going to head into town and pick up some silk - Calimshite, preferably. Anyone want some?"
DM (to whom this comes right out of the blue): "Er...any particular reason why?"
Player: "Nah, just tired of these old trail duds, thought I could make something out of silk to wear instead now the weather's warmed up"
DM: <either says yes or rolls the dice>

The same thing applies to the owlbear. Given my preferences as a GM, why am I going to frame the PCs into a conflict with owlbears that doesn't serve any larger purpose, of speaking to the players' concerns/interests for their PCs?
Again, just "because". This is where you as DM get to do something just for the hell of it...and if nothing else the PCs will pick up a few xp.

Also, it adds to the depth of the game world if not everything revolves around the PCs and their own interests and it adds to the mystery (not to mention believability) if there's always a level of question whether any given thing is in fact relevant to the PCs or not. Maybe the owlbears are the key to the whole story. Maybe they're just some xp on the hoof and not relevant to anything.

If you read/watch fantasy stories - or at least the ones I know best, whcih are the Earthsea stories; Tolkien; REH's Conan; and then fantasy cinema like Excalibur, Star Wars, Hero, Crouching Tiger, Bride With White Hair, Ashes of Time, etc - there are not encounters just for the sake of it. Conflicts establish colour - including colour relevant to the protagonist - and/or allow something about the protagonist to be questioned and perhaps changed. (For some LotR paradigms consider the Mines of Moria, or the fight with Shelob.)
Tom Bombadil.

Total side quest just for the sake of it. Its only function is to level the Hobbits up a bit.

Self-evidently the real world doesn't work that way. It's not an authored fiction. But I'm not sure how that has any general relevance to RPGing. (I mean, if someone has a particular desire to have their RPGing resemble the real world, go for it; but that desire doesn't have any general significance.)
It has more relevance than just about anything else, in that things are likely to work in any game world much as they do in the real world whenever the game doesn't force them not to e.g. by magic or environment. People take diversions and go on what equate to side quests all the time...and that's just fine. Nothing says the game world characters can't do the same.

Lan-"I'm obviously far too chaotic a player for this type of game, as I've always got my characters doing stuff just for the hell of it"-efan

Imaro

Legend
I think that this sort of "flexibility" claim about D&D is overstated.

I think maybe technically and from an official perspective you may be correct but with the advent of the OGL for 3e and the DM's Guild with 5e from a practical point of view I disagree... With this type of openenss and the numerous options created by 3rd party publishers, independent publishers, etc. I think D&D has an unprecedented amount of flexibility.

For instance, if I don't want movement-based and action economy-based tactics in my combat resolution, D&D won't deliver that for me. It's got no "simple contest" combat resolution mechanic (whereas HeroWars/Quest does, and BW actually has two such systems, as well as a full-blown tactical system).

http://slyflourish.com/guide_to_narrative_combat.html

If I want to run a game which will be driven by conflicts within a PC's commitments and inclinations, and also across the commitments and inclinations of PCs, the Ideals/Bonds/Flaws mechanics won't offer very much. BW handles both, and MHRP handles at least the second and to some extent (maybe quite an extent - I'm yet to find out) the first also.

Not sure why the Ideals,Bonds,Flaws and Inspiration mechanics (along with Background) "won't offer very much" (especially since there are rules for fleshing these out in ther DMG...but I think my point is they are there as a framework for a DM to hang more or less on. It seems you are claiming they are not integral... which is exactly my point, they are not necessary for the game but for those who want to hang more on them they exist... can I even play BW without these types of mechanics if I don't desire them to be front and center?

If I want closed, scene-based non-combat resolution then the only edition of D&D that delivers that is 4e.

So there was at least one edition of D&D that covered it. More relevant though there are plenty of people doing just this with 5e...

http://www.critical-hits.com/blog/2016/08/16/skill-challenges-in-5th-edition-dd/
https://boccobsblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/1421/
https://deathbymage.com/2015/09/17/skill-challenges-in-5e-the-red-headed-stepchild-of-dd/

You seem to be confusing something being integral with the ability to drift a game in that direction.

And, from the other side, BW can be played beer and pretzels as well as theme and drama: see Burning THACO, and the discusssion of "microdungeoneering" in the Adventure Burner. Not to mention the OSR-inspired Torchbearer, which is a BW variant that delivers a Moldvay Basic-type experience.

And yet Beliefs are still central to the BW variant you cited above, the advice is to tell the players what module you are running and what it is about... and to ignore "filler" combat... de-emphasize loot... not really seeing how this shows flexibility as opposed to a change in the scenery with the same game.

As to your second point you're citing a different game, Torchbearer, irregardless of whether it is based on similar rules to BW, is not BW. If we are going that route the sheer number of d20 games and OGL games and D&D variants (from Mutants and Masterminds to True20) just further proves my point about flexibility. Is there any game that has as many of these as D&D?

HeroQuest revised can be used for high drama in Glorantha, or lowbrow superhero hijinks.

Could you go into more depth about this? I mean just stating it doesn't make it true. How can Heroquest be used for lowbrow superhero hijinks without it becoming an entirely different game? Is there an example of someone using it for this?

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Tom Bombadil.

Total side quest just for the sake of it. Its only function is to level the Hobbits up a bit.

He could be viewed as part of the Barrow Wight encounter where the hobbits get their Knives of Westernesse. Without those knives the Witch King wouldn't have been killed two books later, and without Tom the hobbits die to the wights.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
[MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION], in the second of the quotes above, seems to have completely misconstrued the technique.

Why does the character want silk? Well, if the player won't tell the GM - as in, if the players are trying to establish fictional positioning ("I've got a bolt of silk!") that they see as giving them an advantage down the track that they don't want to betray to the GM - then we are already so far from playing in my preferred style that none of the stuff I've been talking about really has any bearing at all. This is something that I would associated with Gygaxian-style AD&D tuned to a high level of player/GM adversarialism.

I just don't thing it has to be any level of adversarialism. I was exaggerating to make a point. All I'm saying is that as a DM, if the players tell me they are doing something, and I don't know why they are doing it, I don't need to know, nor would I usually ask why. I'll see how it plays out and it may become obvious over time.

I'm not sure I can remember a time that the players actually hid something from me. It's just that they don't always explain why they're doing something. I might think I know the reason, only to find out later it's different.

But assuming that the GM understands, from the motivational/dramatic/thematic point of view, why silk matters, then that tells the GM how to handle the matter: say "yes"; frame a haggling check; open up the possibility of dealing with smugglers; etc.

The last time buying cloth came up in one of my games was when a PC was trying to delay an NPC's departure from the Keep on the Borderlands. Something - I think the efforts of the spirit-summoning PC - had led this NPC to slip over in the mud, ruining his fine robes. The elven princess offered to have new robes made for him - which would take time. Because there was something at stake in the availability of suitable cloth at a price she could afford, I called for a Resources check.

If the real issue was not the availability of cloth but the tailoring of it - eg suppose the PC was not trying to delay the NPC, but rather to trick him into wearing clothes sewn with some secret pattern of supernatural sigils - then it would have made sense to "say 'yes'" to the Resources check and instead focus on the Tailoring check.

And that's where we differ. I don't view my job as DM to frame the haggling check for them. The framing takes care of itself. In D&D we don't have Resources checks, of course, but I don't even see a check as such necessary. If they are in a village of 250, then it's something too rare to find there. If they're in Waterdeep, you have plenty of choices. We probably wouldn't play out the haggling itself anyway, we're not the acting types. I might call for a check, but most of the time it seems like you're just rolling dice. So I usually compare passive scores, consider any circumstances that might give an advantage, and come back with a discounted price.

It would generally play out along the lines of:
I want to get some Calishite silk, can I find any here?

Sure, there are plenty of merchants in Waterdeep eager to sell their wares. Do you have any skills or history with regard to purchasing silks that would give you an idea of what's good quality or price?

Yes, when I was working as as merchant in Athkatla, we often traded in fine Calishite silks.

OK, makes sense. You find that some of the "Calishite" silk is bogus (based on his Wisdom (Insight) modified by his past expertise), but for the legitimate goods, the price is higher than you'd expect, even up here in Waterdeep.

Can I haggle for a better price?

Of course, the best you've been able to manage is 18% so far, do you want to continue to pressure, or go with that price. None of the others are willing to come down more than 5%, unusual from your experience.

Hmmm, I wonder why that is? (His Charisma (Persuasion) score is very high due to expertise, and his background as a merchant from Athkatla also probably tips him off). Maybe there's something going on - is anybody giving a reason why the prices are so high?

Inquiring, you find that the supply is very limited, due to the threat of a civil war in Calimshan right now. They will sell there wares without any problem at this price, and will likely be raising it.

So that one selling cheap is really unusual. I'll buy a bolt from him. I'd like for us to keep an eye on him, though, and see if there's another reason why his prices are so good. I wonder if the silk is stolen. In the meantime, I'll make a special robe for the (NPC) who ruined his. Since it will take me some time to do that, the others can keep watch on the merchant. If I make it out of rare Calishite silk with a special pattern worked into it, can the wizard use that to help scry on them?

Yes - if you keep some of the same cloth, and the wizard studies the pattern (or perhaps draws it for you), then it will be easy for her to target the (NPC) with her spells.

While you're busy making the robe (no check is needed, I'm using passive skills again, he's a seamstress/tailor as well), the others are watching the merchant. There's one man in particular that visits, in plain brown leather armor, no cloak, muscular, the merchant gives him what looks like a coin purse, but looks nervous while doing so, checking around before getting it from behind the counter.

PCs - we'll see if we can follow him, see where he's going...

At which point we go back to "encounter level" detail, following the thug to several other merchants before heading to a warehouse in the Dock Ward. The PCs may investigate further, finding a bandit/smuggling ring that are taking advantage of the problems in Calimshan by waylaying other merchants, stealing their goods, then bringing them north to Waterdeep to undercut the other merchants. The plot is funded by a somewhat down-on-their-luck noble family that is trying to drive one of their rivals out of their trade territory. Their tactics with the local merchants they are using to sell the wares (who don't know who is providing the goods), is tough. They don't want them asking questions, and they don't want to risk their rivals from making the connection to them.

There's a good chance something like a civil war in far away Calimshan comes from a published source, rather than me. Unless I have a need to concern myself with Calimshan in the current thrust of the campaign. If they choose not to follow the thug, or go any further with investigating the merchant, they may simply return to him to purchase more goods, since his prices are good. In the meantime, the hook is there, and I can move it forward should the need arise.

But in the process of the scenes unfolding, I don't need to frame anything related to the PCs at all. It's just a part of the world around them and providing color. It might provide a future adventure should they choose to follow it.

The "yes" comes from a combination of the expected resources in a city like Waterdeep, combined by their skills. I don't need to frame a haggling check, he'll tell me if he's looking to get the price down or not. Often they aren't worried about it, or have other goals. It's Waterdeep, so there's always the possibility of dealing with smugglers. Again, based on their background and skills, particularly this one character since he is a former merchant (and thief, and fence) from Athkatla Amn, north of Calimshan. No real need for a tailoring check, either, based on his level of skill.

The same thing applies to the owlbear. Given my preferences as a GM, why am I going to frame the PCs into a conflict with owlbears that doesn't serve any larger purpose, of speaking to the players' concerns/interests for their PCs? Maybe, in 4e at least, to establish some colour (4e really favours using combats to establish colour) - but even then I would want the colour to speak to those concerns/interests, even if it doesn't immediately put them under pressure.

Well, to begin with, it doesn't have to be a conflict - which is one of the reasons I don't like 4e because of it's tendency to lean toward combat. The owlbear thing was something that came up in my campaign, and the PCs hadn't seen the cubs, just the angry owlbear. They killed it, only to realize afterwards that it was not a real threat, only defending her cubs. They could have easily found a different, probably better, solution. The ranger in particular took it to heart, and it was a moment where they all recognized that they needed to change their approach a bit (as players and characters).

If you read/watch fantasy stories - or at least the ones I know best, whcih are the Earthsea stories; Tolkien; REH's Conan; and then fantasy cinema like Excalibur, Star Wars, Hero, Crouching Tiger, Bride With White Hair, Ashes of Time, etc - there are not encounters just for the sake of it. Conflicts establish colour - including colour relevant to the protagonist - and/or allow something about the protagonist to be questioned and perhaps changed. (For some LotR paradigms consider the Mines of Moria, or the fight with Shelob.)

Self-evidently the real world doesn't work that way. It's not an authored fiction. But I'm not sure how that has any general relevance to RPGing. (I mean, if someone has a particular desire to have their RPGing resemble the real world, go for it; but that desire doesn't have any general significance.)

Yes, but if you read/watch those stories, and for that matter most character driven stories, a lot of the "action" is the establishment of characters and relationships between the conflicts. It's the scenes where they spend time trudging through the wilderness, talking and learning about each other, and themselves. The problem is, those don't translate as well to RPGs. Unless you have a group of really good acting-style players. But the other problem is that those types of scenes take much more time as well.

So scenes that establish the "normalcy" of the world, the ones that make them stop and consider that the characters are people, interacting with other people, and that "normal" is not "anything we meet is an adversary" brings some of that humanity into the game, gets them thinking a bit more. It also provides dynamics, and provides a broader framing around the action and of the world.

You feel that knowing the player/character motivations are essential to being able to frame the scenes. I think that can be quite helpful, but I've found that giving the players a broader understanding of the world, and their characters within it, helps them build better character motivations. I'll learn of the motivations through the course of play (what I don't know from the backstory, that is). The characters seem to take on a life of their own, leading the players down paths they don't expect.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Read literally, this tells me nothing can happen in your game just for the hell of it or for no particular reason other than "because", which sounds stiflingly dull.

In your game, would the following exchange be able to occur:

Player (whose character has rarely expressed interest in shopping and has never mentioned silk before): "Hey guys, I'm going to head into town and pick up some silk - Calimshite, preferably. Anyone want some?"
DM (to whom this comes right out of the blue): "Er...any particular reason why?"
Player: "Nah, just tired of these old trail duds, thought I could make something out of silk to wear instead now the weather's warmed up"
DM: <either says yes or rolls the dice>

Again, just "because". This is where you as DM get to do something just for the hell of it...and if nothing else the PCs will pick up a few xp.

Also, it adds to the depth of the game world if not everything revolves around the PCs and their own interests and it adds to the mystery (not to mention believability) if there's always a level of question whether any given thing is in fact relevant to the PCs or not. Maybe the owlbears are the key to the whole story. Maybe they're just some xp on the hoof and not relevant to anything.

Tom Bombadil.

It has more relevance than just about anything else, in that things are likely to work in any game world much as they do in the real world whenever the game doesn't force them not to e.g. by magic or environment. People take diversions and go on what equate to side quests all the time...and that's just fine. Nothing says the game world characters can't do the same.

Lan-"I'm obviously far too chaotic a player for this type of game, as I've always got my characters doing stuff just for the hell of it"-efan

The only thing I sort of disagree with here is the concept of diversions and side quests. I see those as a construct from games.

The characters (and people) in my world rarely have one overarching story. And even when they have something that is specifically driving them, it's for a relatively short period of time, usually a year or few at most. The plot often changes as well - they were considering looking for this ancient tomb, and got caught up investigating a smuggling ring instead. It's not a "side-quest" - it's the new plot.

But if there isn't a central story line, then everything is a side-quest. Or everything is the main plot.

Lives are much more complex and full of multiple threads at any given time. Some of them more exciting than others. By allowing those multiple threads to exist in the game, it often goes in unexpected directions, and things that seemed unimportant become important.

It also highlights another aspect of life. Sometimes the characters are simply reactive, seeing what the world has to offer, and sometimes they are proactive, with a specific goal and direction. The reactive staff provides a lot of fodder for potential future adventures.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think that this sort of "flexibility" claim about D&D is overstated.

For instance, if I don't want movement-based and action economy-based tactics in my combat resolution, D&D won't deliver that for me. It's got no "simple contest" combat resolution mechanic (whereas HeroWars/Quest does, and BW actually has two such systems, as well as a full-blown tactical system).

If I want to run a game which will be driven by conflicts within a PC's commitments and inclinations, and also across the commitments and inclinations of PCs, the Ideals/Bonds/Flaws mechanics won't offer very much. BW handles both, and MHRP handles at least the second and to some extent (maybe quite an extent - I'm yet to find out) the first also.

If I want closed, scene-based non-combat resolution then the only edition of D&D that delivers that is 4e.

Etc.

And, from the other side, BW can be played beer and pretzels as well as theme and drama: see Burning THACO, and the discusssion of "microdungeoneering" in the Adventure Burner. Not to mention the OSR-inspired Torchbearer, which is a BW variant that delivers a Moldvay Basic-type experience.

HeroQuest revised can be used for high drama in Glorantha, or lowbrow superhero hijinks.

Etc, again.

I disagree. D&D 5E is an intentionally mod-able system.

And I also find it odd that you would deny flexibility on the part of D&D and then use an example of an alternate version of Burning World in support of system flexibility.

There are and can be alternate versions of any game. Or alternate rules and/or subsystems. If you're going to hold up BW as a flexible system, then I can't see how you can deny that D&D is, as well.

Well, I don't think so. What's the illusion being perpetrated on the players?

It's not as if some fate or future for the skulker has already been settled, and - as GM - I am manipulating outcomes of action resolution, behind-the-scenes fiction, etc, to bring that about. Quite the opposite!

It's similar to illusionism in that things that the players do not know about are being changed. Or in this case, not necessarily changed, but left open to be determined later on....which is not the way that the real world works.

So the players see the yellow skulker....they will assume that the guy has some kind of motivation or goal, even if it is not clear to them at this point....and yet, his motivations and goals are undetermined at this point. So, there is an illusion of sorts at play.

It's definitely not exactly the same, I wasn't implying that it was....just that there are some similarities. And as I said, this is a technique I use in my games, so I'm not knocking it.

Personally I can't see any difference: the player has an idea that there might be a secret door there, and the GM "thwarts" it.

That's not to say that there's not a difference that is salient to you. But I will have to leave it to you to articulate that. From my point of view, the examples don't differ in terms of some being bad thwartings and others benign narrations of the gameworld. I see the GM narrating the absence of a secret door (because the notes say there isn't one there), narrating the court or the baron rebuffing the PCs (because the notes record facts about an assassination, or a kidnapping, that is as-yet unknown to the PCs) or narrating the unavailability of silk (because the notes say the country it is imported from is in turmoil) as all on a par, as far as GMing techniques are concerned.

The difference I would point out is that in most of the examples the "thwarting" is done simply to "thwart". In the example you just provided, the GM is simply going with the prepared material....the purpose of his decision to not have a secret door there is not to deny the player's desires, although the end result is the same.

I suppose an argument could be made that either way, the GM is trying to steer the narrative...in the earlier examples, he's taking away the player's desire for knowledge of the king's death or whatever, and in this case, he's making the players use the established exit from the room rather than a previously unknown exit.

But I don't think that establishing some limitations on what the players can introduce through action declaration is a bad thing. I don't see that as railroading. I mean....can players simply try to find a secret door in any room in which they find danger? Is it forcing a specific narrative to not allow that?

All I can really do is reiterate that a desire to play whatever it is the GM is offering up isn't an interest or concern of the sort I was referring to.

If I ask, "What film would you like to see?" and you answer "I don't care - whatever's showing", then I just don't think there's any interesting sense in which, in choosing a film for us to see, I have taken your desires into account in refining the selection. Rather, you didn't have any desires that needed to be taken into account.

What if I say "I'll go see anything that's not a rom-com or sappy drama...I'd be happy with just about anything else"? There are degrees of player desire in between "none" and "many". My point is that the criteria you gave are not specific to a high level of player desire, and as such, may not be the best example to use as elements of player-driven games as opposed to GM driven games.

Suppose it was the player who decides what the shameful thing was, works up some details on the mercenary company, etc. And then you, as GM, are expected to make that a focus of the game. For me, using the terminology I've been using, that's probably something I would think of as a player-driven rather than a GM-driven game.

Conversely, suppose the player comes up with the idea of a shameful past, but leaves it for the GM to work out the details, and/or to choose whether and how to really incorporate it into the game: then I would think of it as a GM-driven rather than a player-driven game.

What you describe sounds somewhat intermediate between those two cases, and from what you've said I'm not going to attempt such an invidious task as classification on a think evidence base when I wasn't there! But I hope the two cases I've outlined give you some sense of what I think the salient differences are.

Sure, that's exactly why I've been saying that I use both player driven and GM driven elements in my game. In this case, the player came up with the basic idea of his shameful past. Because the PC is a fighter with the soldier background, I proposed him taking part in some questionable actions during some conflicts, and then the player said that he was in a mercenary group. I came up with the name of the group, and the idea that it started off as a pretty principled group (based on the PC's Neutral alignment, it didn't seem that he'd be involved in a group with any kind of extreme stance), but that the mercenary group was effectively infiltrated by elements of a CE war deity, and that things slowly shifted. The PC stuck it out for a while, and was involved in a lot of increasingly questionable actions. He finally reached a point where he had to get out or totally lose himself.

So it really was a lot of back and forth until we were both happy with the results. And I also tied in elements from both an NPC I had planned for the game and one of the other PCs. This is why I feel my game is likely not nearly as different from yours despite having GM driven aspects....most of those are based around story or character ideas created in conjunction with or entirely by the players.

Another way to try and get at the same point: I find the idea of "side quests" vs the "main plot" quite inimical. I see the idea of "side quests" as the GM somehow incorporating or at least giving a substantive tip of the hat to a player's character-based motivations/desires; but in so far as they contrast with the "main plot", they are secondary, and so - if more than mere tips of the hat - still somewhere in that general territory. Whereas, if the GM is framing every situation having regard to these matters, then the "side quest" vs "main plot" distinction completely breaks down.

And yet another way: if, in the adventure, I could replace the Princess to be rescued with Blackrazor to be recovered, but all the rest of the scenario (the obstacles, the opponents, the fetch quests, etc) could remain unchanged, then it is not an example of what I'm talking about. Because even if the McGuffin (and in this case it really is a McGuffin) is sensitive to players' expressed concerns/interests/PC motivations, the nuts-and-bolts of the scenario are not.

I'm not saying your game does (or doesn't) exemplify any of these features. I don't know. They're just different ways to try to convey what I'm getting at, and what I see the salient contrasts to be.

I don't really have a problem with the terms side-quests or main plot. I understand your point, I just don't know if it always applies. I think that even players would admit to some of their desires or wants being less important than others. Or maybe they decide to pursue some game element on a whim. Relevance to the players should always matter. I think that's the difference....relevance to the players or relevance to the "main plot". Something that doesn't relate to the main plot of the campaign would be something I'd call a side quest. But that doesn't mean it isn't relevant to the characters.

Perhaps the terms side quest and main plot are a bit loaded....but I don't see either as a bad thing. They're just terms I've used in discussion, I don't really make such distinctions when it comes to the actual game. In the game, we just play based on what happens and where the players decide to go. Their motivations and goals and the glue that binds them all together are strongly tied to the "main plot" to the point where that always comes into play.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I do not think it is very helpful to think in terms of what can be done with any given game. I think it is more helpful to think in terms of what is expected and how difficult it is break from those expectations. Does the system help you? Does it stay out of your way, but is not particularly helpful? Does it actively work against your interests? When I speak of system here I am including all the attended social and cultural pressures that go along with playing any particular game, not merely the mechanisms. I mean we do not need formalized mechanics and principles to roleplay. They can help us do things which are not particularly natural for us to do, but could lead to more overall enjoyment. I think it is a mistake to assume that the lack of formalized system means no system is in place. We simply default to the natural constraints we put upon ourselves. In indie circles this is known as the Lumpley Principle.

We have a tendency not to see the ways we are used to doing things as constraints, because they do not feel constraining to us. While few mainstream games speak to their principles there is a body of principles and social expectations that go along with the design of most mainstream games that I feel are deeply constraining for my interests. This includes the expectation that a GM will either engage in lengthy world building or use someone else's world building, that a GM will prepare adventures that put designs on how players should interact with them or else use someone else's adventures, that a GM should engage situations to enable spotlight balancing, and that a GM should advocate for a particular narrative. It also includes expectations that a player should enjoy exploration of the fictional world and a GM's story for its own sake, decide how to approach everything as a unified group, puzzle out what they should be doing at any moment, not engage the mechanisms too deeply, not engage with parts of an adventure that are meant to highlight another player's character, and not interrogate the fiction too deeply. These are social expectations involved in playing most mainstream games that I find deeply constraining and that tend to cut against my interests.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I do not think it is very helpful to think in terms of what can be done with any given game. I think it is more helpful to think in terms of what is expected and how difficult it is break from those expectations. Does the system help you? Does it stay out of your way, but is not particularly helpful? Does it actively work against your interests? When I speak of system here I am including all the attended social and cultural pressures that go along with playing any particular game, not merely the mechanisms. I mean we do not need formalized mechanics and principles to roleplay. They can help us do things which are not particularly natural for us to do, but could lead to more overall enjoyment. I think it is a mistake to assume that the lack of formalized system means no system is in place. We simply default to the natural constraints we put upon ourselves. In indie circles this is known as the Lumpley Principle.

We have a tendency not to see the ways we are used to doing things as constraints, because they do not feel constraining to us. While few mainstream games speak to their principles there is a body of principles and social expectations that go along with the design of most mainstream games that I feel are deeply constraining for my interests. This includes the expectation that a GM will either engage in lengthy world building or use someone else's world building, that a GM will prepare adventures that put designs on how players should interact with them or else use someone else's adventures, that a GM should engage situations to enable spotlight balancing, and that a GM should advocate for a particular narrative. It also includes expectations that a player should enjoy exploration of the fictional world and a GM's story for its own sake, decide how to approach everything as a unified group, puzzle out what they should be doing at any moment, not engage the mechanisms too deeply, not engage with parts of an adventure that are meant to highlight another player's character, and not interrogate the fiction too deeply. These are social expectations involved in playing most mainstream games that I find deeply constraining and that tend to cut against my interests.

Agh! Almost all of those are elements in my game!!

The bits about advocating for a particular narrative and the like are not as forceful as would be typically expected, and it's shaped around what the players have already established as their desires, but it's there.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
When I speak to things like authenticity, collaboration over design, and Mastery over Achievement I am speaking in terms of having more or less of something rather than having the presence or absence of something. I am not really saying that a particular game completely lacks a feature - simply that it might not have enough for my particular interests.

When I speak to authenticity I mean it in the sense that the experience is less designed, involves more risk, involves more passion and vulnerability, and is more likely to get to that raw creative unfiltered part of ourselves and is reflective of what we all bring to the table. I also think a game can be too authentic, feel too real, involve too much collaboration for my interests. I want something less curated, more organic, and less designed than most mainstream games, but that does not mean I want to dive off the deep end where there is absolutely no curation. The indie games I like to play tend to be closer to the mainstream end of things than the really avant garde stuff where the game can be lost to the experience. I think it's possible for media to be too real for our interests. Jessica Jones sometimes crossed that line for me.

There is this continuum where I regard Monsterhearts as usually more authentic than Apocalypse World which in turn is usually more authentic than Dungeon World in the sense I am talking about. I am also speaking in terms of what usually happens. It is possible to have raw, passionate play in Dungeons and Dragons. I view it as demonstrably more difficult to do so consistently.

Last edited:

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Agh! Almost all of those are elements in my game!!

The bits about advocating for a particular narrative and the like are not as forceful as would be typically expected, and it's shaped around what the players have already established as their desires, but it's there.

There's nothing wrong with that! It sounds like you have a fairly strong bead on your players' interests and your game meets those desires and motivations. It's just not the sort of thing that would be ideal for me. I can enjoy this sort of game as a player. I just have to put a measure of some of my own desires to the side for the good of the game. I think most of us can enjoy things that don't really match our tastes without trying to make it into something it is not. I just think it is important to acknowledge our own constraints even when we like them.

The games I like most are not particularly well suited for players who deeply enjoy most mainstream games. If serial world exploration over character exploration. Story Advocacy, expressing your individual creativity rather than social creativity, completing the adventure, spotlight balance, having access to release valves, or not having to engage the mechanisms or fiction too deeply are the types of things you value about mainstream games the reduced emphasis on these things means you will probably enjoy indie games less. You might still enjoy them, just not as much. I know I still enjoy some more mainstream games, just not as much as I enjoy most indie games and some OSR games.

The other thing to remember is that we are mostly talking in broad strokes here. Individual games within a broad category can differ substantially. Character design is a big component of Burning Wheel. Blades in the Dark has a defined setting, even if broadly defined. It is also strongly focused on group play. Exalted 3e is deeply interested in character exploration and has targeted experience rewards. Demon - The Descent embraces conflicts between player characters and has a strong focus on risk taking.

When it comes to game design, particularly when considering deeply social games, I find this notion that everyone can get exactly what they want exactly how they want it to be somewhat dangerous unless we are designing for an extremely narrow band of tastes. I do not think it matters who exactly does the designing here or when the design happens. There is no such thing as a perfect game that will fully satisfy all of our desires all of the time, nor do I think we should search one out. For me personally, a significant part of the fun comes from the imperfection and finding new experiences to engage with as they are, putting my own stamp on things, having other players do likewise, and seeing what happens.

I think the question of who we want to be designing our games and which parts they should be designing is an important one. I think I will add it to the list of things I want to address in a more meaningful way when I have the time to do so.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases