Cortex Prime Kickstarter

dbm

Savage!
I've backed at the $50 level. Cortex Plus has managed to be a hit with my group while Fate has continually eluded us. It gives lots of great tools for genre emulation without going as far as making every wrinkle a flat +2 (I know Fate isn't that homogenous, but it was how my group felt about the play experience).

29 days to go and almost fully funded - I think this is going to be a big one.

JesterOC

Explorer
Our group is loving Dresden Files Accelerated but I agree I think Cortex + is fantastic and easy to get. Aspects can be a bit tricky as no aspect is inherently stronger than another, but in Cortex the their equivalent of aspects all have associated power level (the die). I feel that makes it so much easier understand.

dbm

Savage!
Funded in 36 hours!

I'm a big fan of generic or core systems which will cover a wide range of campaign ideas. GURPS is always my fall back, but these days it's potentially a bit crunchy for my tastes (I'm hoping the imminent Dungeon Fantasy box will help with that one). Cortex Prime (as Cam is now calling it) allows for a good degree of differentiation between characters and challenges without needing to go to that level of detail. The longer term challenge is always progression - our group really enjoy that part of the game. Light generic games can struggle to deliver that. Certainly Firefly (the most recent version of Cortex+) had progression and I'm that Prime will support a wider range of play than some other medium-light generic games.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Woo! I've pledged.

I really liked MHR, but many in my gaming groups are much bigger comic fans then I am so I was always hesitant about running. Now this as a toolkit to play differetn games with it.

Really looking forward to it. And it funded after 36 hours so it's guaranteed.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Cortex Prime is going to be a genuine modular toolkit game system with an easy to use baseline and lots of dials and switches. Sounds like a mouthful, but you know.

Cheers,
Cam

dbm

Savage!
The FAQ has this info on that:

"The Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide is a collection of essays about hacking the version of Cortex Plus featured in Smallville and Leverage (known as "Dramatic Roleplaying" and "Action Roleplaying" in the Guide). It also included stripped down system reference docs for those versions of Cortex as well as Fantasy Heroic Roleplaying, a dungeon crawling hack of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying's version of Cortex, plus a handful of setting hooks for those games.

Cortex Prime is different. It's a toolkit game that brings together all of the elements of those versions of Cortex and many of the elements of the Classic Cortex from Serenity, Supernatural, Battlestar Galactica and Demon Hunters RPGs and presents them as a unified generic multi-genre system. The Game Handbook makes it easy to use various modular elements together to run games right away in an assortment of genres.

Because Prime draws from, updates, and refines everything that came before it, it replaces the SRDs in the back of the Hacker's Guide. However, all of the amazing hacks and settings in the Hacker's Guide remain usable with Prime because of the backwards compatibility features of Prime's toolkit system."

Remove ads