Grading the Genesys System

How do you feel about the Genesys System?

• I love it.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • It's pretty good.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • It's alright I guess.

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • It's pretty bad.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I've never played it.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I've never even heard of it.

Votes: 5 8.2%

Kannik

Hero
With the announcement of the revised Star Trek Adventures, it would be a perfect time to grade the 2d20 system – but we’ve already done that. :) And so, instead, let’s go to a different galaxy, perhaps one far far away…

Have you played or run the Genesys system? Taking ideas begun with their Warhammer 3e game, FFG developed things further and used the ruleset in their Star Wars line of games. It was then released as a standalone generic RPG (where the Genesys name was introduced) for use in many genres. To that end, several campaign worlds were released for use with it.

The most notable aspect of the Genesys system is its use of custom dice with various icons on them to generate results on two separate axes at once: Success/Failure, and Advantage/Disadvantage. For the latter, sometimes the result is used as a metacurrency, while other times it is used more narratively to provide a twist or a boon to the characters.

As noted in the previous “Grade…” threads, “the D20 System is the undeniable favorite for tabletop RPGs today, but there are plenty of options out there for those who don't like D20 or might be looking for something different. The goal in these little surveys is to highlight the different systems and options available to tabletop fans...not bash on anyone's favorites.”

So! If you’ve played Genesys, I’d like to hear about your experiences. What do/did you like or dislike about it? If you haven’t played, was there something that dissuaded you from giving it a try?

And as before, just for fun I’ll take the responses to give the system a “grade.” :)

Grade: B-
Of those who voted, 92% have heard of it and two thirds (66%) have played it.
Of those who have played it: 30% love it, 15% like it, 45% are lukewarm, 8% dislike it, and 3% hate it.

Previous entries:
Grading the Cypher System
Grading the Pathfinder 2E (D20) System
Grading the Savage Worlds System
Grading the Fate/Fate Core System
Grading the Modiphius 2d20 System
Grading the GURPS System
Grading the Powered by the Apocalypse System
Grading the D6 System
Grading the Hero System
Grading the Storyteller System
Grading the Megaversal/Palladium System
Grading the Basic Role-Playing System
Grading the SAGA System
Grading the Warhammer 40K RPG System
Grading the Rolemaster/Spacemaster System
Grading the Cortex Plus and Cortex Prime System
Grading the Burning Wheel System

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
It's pretty good. Quick correction, though - Genesys really has its roots in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition, also by FFG, not Star Wars (Star Wars would be the second implementation of what would become the Genesys system). I first encountered it via WFRP 3e and it really blew me away there. I've since played in a core Genesys game (Legends of Terrinoth) and, likewise, had fun with it. It's not perfect though, and tends to have a high learning curve. They (i.e. FFG) also seem to have trouble keeping the special dice in print and widely available (at different times, those dice have gone for a lot of money on the secondhand market when they weren't available via regular retail channels).

Last edited:

innerdude

Legend
Genesys offers a unique, fun, collaborative system for GMs and players who want to sand down and refinish the "traditional" RPG experience into something .... Less traditional without going fully in another direction.

It absolutely assumes a group that is comfortable with breaking from a wholesale "trad" mindset regarding setting, background, off-scene / non-causal effects. If you're the kind of GM that would never dream of applying a failure / setback as an off-screen / "quantum effect" from the dice roll, it will be a struggle to fully realize the fun and enjoyment the system offers.

The 6-month Star Wars campaign I ran in 2022 was some of the best roleplaying we've experienced since our primary group first got together back in 2011.

*Edit: Claims that the custom dice are "too hard" or "confusing" are disingenuous at best. My group's background is 98% Savage Worlds, 3e, 4e, and VtM, with a smattering of 5e. Most of us are in our 30s and 40s.

It took maybe 2 sessions before the dice rolls were second nature.

That said, it's way more important to understand the ethos and approach of the system. If you're not willing to approach the system on its terms, the dice will certainly be much more of a hindrance than a help.

Last edited:

Kannik

Hero
It's pretty good. Quick correction, though - Genesys really has its roots in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd edition, also by FFG, not Star Wars (Star Wars would be the second implementation of what would become the Genesys system). I first encountered it via WFRP 3e and it really blew me away there. I've since played in a core Genesys game (Legends of Terrinoth) and, likewise, had fun with it. It's not perfect though, and tends to have a high learning curve. They (i.e. FFG) also seem to have trouble keeping the special dice in print and widely available (at different times, those dice have gone for a lot of money on the secondhand market when they weren't available via regular retail channels).
Ah, I'd seen that they were similar but hadn't realized they were that related. I'll update the intro, thank you!

Reading the Genesys core rulebook was the most excited I’d been about a game mechanically in a very long time. I don’t think it’s a great choice for every group though.

I appreciate that the game is easy to work with from a customization standpoint, much like Savage Worlds is.

Reynard

Legend
I was not a huge fan when i bought the core book, but I never really got an opportunity to run it extensively so it may well have its charms.

Staffan

Legend
Eh, I'd argue that Warhammer 3e is a predecessor to Genesys, but isn't actually Genesys. Sort of how you can see that the Troubleshooters is descended from BRP, but different enough to be called its own thing. They both use wonky dice, but they are different dice, and the dice work differently. For one thing, skills in Genesys start by replacing ability dice with proficiency dice (so if you have Agility 3 and Light Ranged 1, you will roll 2 ability dice and 1 proficiency die), wheras skills in WH3 just add proficiency dice. Also, Genesys has no equivalent of the stance dice. Star Wars and Genesys, on the other hand, have a much more direct relationship – Genesys is basically Star Wars made generic.

That out of the way, I love Star Wars. I've had some of the most fun I've ever had running games running that game (I do wish the adventure that came with the Age of Rebellion GM screen and with the core book was less dungeony though). I haven't yet had the chance to see how it runs with an extended campaign, but I'm looking forward to doing that some day.

I think of myself as pretty good at improv-ing interesting consequences after running quite a bit of Blades in the Dark and Scum & Villainy, but when playing Edge of the Empire, those dice could throw you for a curveball. It was pretty exhausting keeping up with them especially with how many different skills there were. So a table who is interesting in interpreting the dice together is definitely a huge boon to smooth it over.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
I have played in several campaigns, plus a Star Wars demo where we were rebels with no Force powers. I like the second axis of threat/advantage, although the rules don't really use the latter mechanically outside of combat or chases IIRC. I think a stricter mechanical use in other instances might have enticed more people to try it out.

Adding Setback dice to any social skill where the PC needs to talk is about the best way to reflect languages in a game mechanically. I also think there is an optimal way to use them for ranks in a Cthulhu Mythos-type skill, although I didn't test that out.

The minion rules are also pretty useful.

I'm closer to a B- than the B I gave it, but I did think it worked well for Star Wars, edging out other systems from the past by a fair bit. Not as impressed with it in other settings.

Remove ads