D&D 5E The Revised Ranger, Revised...

Krestus

First Post
Hi all,

Just joined the forum! I wanted to give my most recent draft of a ranger re-write that I've had bouncing around the internet for a bit. I'm aware this is an old qualm, but it's still relevant to me; I haven't given up on finding the right approach here. This version of the ranger should be viewed as a complete replacement for the ranger as found in the PHB. The UA revised ranger forms the bones of this class, although you probably couldn't tell at this point.

Primary changes:
- Highly-situational mechanics have been removed
- Spells which were once instant-grabs have been removed and replaced with class features
- Utility is the new focus of spellcasting
- Skills like survival and medicine are now much more mechanically relevant
- Beast companion has been standardized and streamlined to prevent meta-gaming and promote roleplaying

ONLY the beast master archetype has been written thus far.

If you're interested, and the attachment doesn't work for whatever reason, please follow the link below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byd42skWQF4mVEI0Wnp0VmVuY1k

CRITICISM IS KEY to making this better. Please, do your damage! Show me where things need to be adjusted, everything is open to change and discussion
View attachment The Ranger.pdf

Horwath

Legend
Good job, I would add some.

3.5E ranger was probably best ranger made. It was de facto wilderness rogue with better fighting capabilities but missing that sweet sneak atttack.

1. Starting skills: proficiency in Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival(those skills make the ranger, Ranger). If any of those skills are gained from race/background pick that number of skills from Athletics, Acrobatics, Medicine, Animal handling)

Natural explorer; removed

Expertise: at 1st level gain expertise in 2 skills from list: Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival.

3rd level: track. You gain advantage on Survival checks involved with tracking.

6th level: fleet of foot. Nonmagical terrain does not slow your movement. You can take Dash action as bonus action.

Rest more or less, the same.

Krestus

First Post
Thanks for the feedback!

I think the ranger in 3.5 hit the nail on the head for the most part. This version brings back some of those qualities that were (for some reason) abandoned. Nearly everything you have listed is already part of the re-write: redundant tool proficiencies grant you the extra skills you need to grab all of your skills (including medicine), expertise is granted for survival at level 1 (which also covers tracking), the natural explorer feature is already changed to be a cover-all wilderness boon, land's stride was already moved to level 6.

Taking dash as a bonus action has been intentionally avoided. That sort of thing is more in the realm of rogue. If someone really wants their ranger to be more rogue-ish, a 2-level dip in rogue gets them that feature.

Keep the feedback coming!
A specific concern of mine is the lack of special attack options on the animal companion (no trip or charge or pounce or the like). Any suggestions on making the typical attack routine more variable without it becoming overpowered? My greatest fear is the companion feeling like another player to the other PCs

Xeviat

Hero
I think you should do some side by side comparisons with the paladin to fine tune this.

I don't like hunters mark not costing spell slots; it should come at 2nd level and cost slots like Smite.

I'll be back tonight to give more thoughts. I like what you're trying to do, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ganymede81

First Post
I like how the Unearthed Arcana Horizon Walker handled an ability similar to Primeval Awareness.

Horizon Walker Rangers get an ability to sense magic portals in a wide area around them. The first usage per day is free, but subsequent uses burn spell slots. I could see Primeval Awareness, being a similar utility ability, using a similar mechanic.

Krestus

First Post
I don't like hunters mark not costing spell slots; it should come at 2nd level and cost slots like Smite.

I'll do anything to keep it from using a spell slot! really, though, that's why the healing spells are gone in favor of a feature, too.

While it is a source of additional damage, I don't think it should be compared to smite. Smite consumes spell slots because it is instantaneous, requires no action or special setup, chosen after the hit is already confirmed, does radiant damage, and causes a massive, scaleable damage boost. The paladin also gains a flat damage increase at a later level to bring his attacks up to speed.
Hunter's Mark is meant to be consistent, long-term, low damage, and a debuff for hiding creatures and the like. Not an Arrow of Slaying. The biggest reason I wanted it not to be a spell is because it's necessary to keep pace with other classes in combat and consumes the spell slots that should be saved for utility. Of course, if you think it should be weakened to accommodate the change, that's something that may have to be considered. Would love to hear more!

Last edited:

Krestus

First Post
I like how the Unearthed Arcana Horizon Walker handled an ability similar to Primeval Awareness.

Horizon Walker Rangers get an ability to sense magic portals in a wide area around them. The first usage per day is free, but subsequent uses burn spell slots. I could see Primeval Awareness, being a similar utility ability, using a similar mechanic.

Awesome! A sort of split-use mechanic like that is such a good idea. I just may do that; definite consideration. Thanks!

schnee

First Post
I do like it a lot; the Natural Explorer splits the difference between the PHB and UA Rangers nicely; better than the default, and walks back a bit from the over-powered UA version.

I think the capstone is way too powerful. Automatic saves on every spell? You just became the best killer of BBGs in the game by a large margin.

Advantage, maybe. But still. The Moon Druid is not the example to be followed. ;)

Krestus

First Post
I think the capstone is way too powerful. Automatic saves on every spell? You just became the best killer of BBGs in the game by a large margin.

Advantage, maybe. But still. The Moon Druid is not the example to be followed. ;)

Nothing but agreement here. I never give capstones much thought because no one ever seems to play 20th level games. I find it kind of silly now that no one has ever commented on that before! haha in definite need of a reeling in

schnee

First Post
Oh, a few other things I forgot.

I wonder a bit about getting both combat styles at the same time, and not having the other two choices any more. Do you really want all Rangers to carry two scimitars and a bow?

Camouflage - I think it's way too weak for 10th level. I mean, a Druid gets Pass Without Trace at 3rd level, and that affects a whole group that moves. I'd give it to them much earlier, and even if you don't move it, I think the '5 minute' setup time is too long. The 1 minute time in the PHB seems fine to me.

I'd either give them Camouflage earlier, and then at higher levels make it as good as Wood Elf Mask of the Wild - or maybe allow them to camouflage others quickly as well or something like that. I think I understand what your'e going for - you want to keep the Ranger less 'magical' - but it feels a bit too mundane for the kind of stuff people pull off at that level.

I hope these nitpicks are taken in good spirit. I wouldn't spend time writing them if I didn't think you were really on to something. :)

Remove ads