D&D 5E Non evil gnoll tribes?

I have no issues with FR Gnoll PC's but they would be VERY rare.

I go with the Yeenoghu has injected his demonic bloodline into the race but that few of them can rise above that. Always fighting the instinct. IF a player role plays the Gnoll and doesnt mind staying in the back groundor knows that they will be hated and mistrusted on sight by NPCs then Im ok with that.

I have a Gnoll warlock in my group that constantly fights his blood line. He was BORN a Warlock but strives to use his monstrous abilities for good. He has been raised mostly by a Moon elf that felt pity for a caged animal (she found him as a side show exhibit).

Mephista

Adventurer
Personally, I would just put gnolls under the umbrella of "orc-like evil race" and just use the same de-evil steps. Like, take the WoW orcs. They went from evil berzerker types with demon magics to a shamanistic tribal types. Same thing with gnolls.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Personally, I would just put gnolls under the umbrella of "orc-like evil race" and just use the same de-evil steps. Like, take the WoW orcs. They went from evil berzerker types with demon magics to a shamanistic tribal types. Same thing with gnolls.

Do you mean in universe or as how their fiction is written. Because its not the same thing, at all.

Gnolls, under the current iteration of the fiction, are literally just hyenas that became humanoid because of being infused with demonic energies (and quite a lot of demons have humanoid shapes). If it weren't for the demonic energy fueling them, they would just revert back to being hyenas presumably enough.

Within WarCraft, the Orcs were a naturally occurring people, the descendants of the descendants of the descendants of the descendants of giants who had become smaller, yet more intelligent with every spin-off race that occurred from this family line. They were basically smaller, marginally more intelligent Ogres who were in touch with the earth. And bred faster.

Anyway, they found themselves in frequent conflict with the other peoples of their world-- the Ogres, the alien who had appeared from out of nowhere and taken up residence, the bird-people and possibly others I have forgotten... and then they took on the demonic energies that turned them green and gave them quite a bit more bloodlust and savagery than they had before. They remained that way for about a generation before they ultimately got cut off from that source, even killing the original source, and began slowly returning to normal.

But the Orc normal is well... that shamanistic tribal people. Gnolls normal is well... just typical hyena.

Again, if one can say "there is no possible way you can have a good-aligned Rakasha", I just don't really see the issue in acknowledging that because of the way they came about in a single game world that it should be equally impossible for an individual, much less many tribes, of the race to really embrace good.

Then again... given that demonic blood/soul/energy apparently does not remotely hinder Tieflings, I suppose it would be weird for either Gnolls or Rakasha to be entirely without primarily altruistic individuals.

What does it even mean for characters or races to actually be "good" or "evil" when it comes right down to it?

I am not even sure how one even has a society, even a basic tribal one, if literally every single individual within it can mainly or exclusively commit evil acts. I feel like any such society would just utterly collapse. One needs to be at least selfless enough to raise children to adulthood, be loyal enough to one's tribe that they just don't all scatter or end due to massive backstabbing in a short amount of time and not be so primarily interested in inflicting pain and suffering on others that no one wants to live around you or associate with you...

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if D&D just defines "good" and "evil" races simply on whether they happen to be aligned with the protagonist humans or not. Could D&D even do a good or neutral aligned race that are primarily going to be opposed to human interests and generally be at war with humans?

If one is even talking about a "good" Gnoll, are we just saying that the Gnoll would betray all other Gnolls and seek the death of its own people in service to humans and more human-like peoples?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
That lore change came about in 4e, and yet there were still gnoll PCs in 4e, IIRC. So I don't see it as making sense not to have them in 5e, especially as there are established settings like Eberron that have at least neutral gnoll tribes. I mean, they put out a minotaur UA (and minotaurs were a PC race in 4e), and they have much the same origin (with Baphomet instead of Yeenoghu) as gnolls. But they are a race in Dragonlance that aren't necessarily evil.

I just don't see it making sense not to have them available.

Sotik

Villager
As a DM to me, this is honestly a question to ask your DM. For example in my world there would be no "good gnoll" they are simply animals that have a humanoid like body, they can hardly speak with each other. The only reason they work together is because they are driven by an evil God who influences them, the leaders more so. The only ones with any sense of intelligence are the demon possesed ones. So in short your gnoll more depends on how your DM has them in HIS world.

As a player, and since your DM has let you be a gnoll PC, Lizard folk from volo's guide will give you inspiration in my opinion. Like for example the gnoll could view other players as furless pups that he needs to protect, or that he doesn't have emotions like other races but acts out of instinct. While it still acts as a gnoll and lives like a gnoll, it has ways that it is able to cope in society.

QuietBrowser

First Post
Are there any books or supplements out there on NON Evil Gnoll tribes? I'm thinking they'd have different names and appearances too. A non Yeenoghu gnoll would probably look not quite so gross and savage as a Yeenoghu gnoll, but not by much. I'm playing a CN Gnoll Barbarian in 5th ed and its fun but I wanted more info on Gnolls that isn't all about the classic Gnoll. He does NOT act like a human btw. He is savage, brutal and agressive but still protective of his friends. He likes to eat most things including other sentient beings that are deemed enemies of the group. But he's eaten other things that are humorous like cotten candy at a circus, ect. I was wondering how funny he'd look eating peanut butter.

Dragon Magazine #367 for 4th Edition had an article called Playing Gnolls, which provided the gold-standard for non-evil gnoll fluff in almost every setting, bar Eberron, where apparently the vast majority of gnolls have actually forsaken evil and become a disciplined race of mercenaries in something called the Zneir Pact, although I'm not an Eberron expert and so can't tell you more about that.

Dragon Magazine #367 for 4th Edition had an article called Playing Gnolls, which provided the gold-standard for non-evil gnoll fluff in almost every setting, bar Eberron, where apparently the vast majority of gnolls have actually forsaken evil and become a disciplined race of mercenaries in something called the Zneir Pact, although I'm not an Eberron expert and so can't tell you more about that.
IIRC in Eberron, Gnolls used to be in thrall to a demon lord (Perhaps Yeenoghu?). However they rose up in rebellion and cast down their demon master(s), smashing the statues and shrines that they had worshipped them at.
The Znir pact is a coalition of the Gnoll tribes in Droaam, the 'monster nation'. They serve as archers and scouts to almost all the factions and are known for their neutrality. As such, they are a major stabilising force in that area.
They're still not nice, and probably quite a few are evil, but not 'demon-possessed mindless savagery'-evil. They make cairns of crushed rock, representing the smashed shrines of their demonic overlord to honour their ancestors.

I personally would resolve Volo's information as being correct in the Age of Demons, but Gnolls having developed into their own race in the time since. Yeenoghu is one of the names of a Lord of Dust currently bound by the Silver Flame who may still be able to influence some Gnolls. The Gnolls detailed in Volo's are the results when a group of gnolls fall prey to its power.

Remove ads