Can Hobby Stores Make Their Saving Throw?

We've talked before about geek culture taking over the world, from movies to conventions, but another trend is accelerating that may affect hobby gaming: the death of the retail store. Can geek culture save it?

We've talked before about geek culture taking over the world, from movies to conventions, but another trend is accelerating that may affect hobby gaming: the death of the retail store. Can geek culture save it?
View attachment 86116
[h=3]From Craftspeople to Chain Stores[/h]Retail stores came into vogue in the 1870s. Prior to that point, shoppers primarily dealt with craftspeople locally:

It wasn’t until mass manufacturing gathered steam, fueled by the national railroad and wider transportation networks, that the concept of a department store became viable. John Wanamaker, whom many generally regard as the pioneer of marketing, opened the first department store in Philadelphia in 1876. Unlike small shops at the time, Wanamaker’s made use of price tags and a money-back guarantee. Out went constant haggling with small-time proprietors, and with it, various cottage industries.

It didn't take long for another company to upend the department store mode. It was Sears who cut out the middleman, a sort of Amazon of its day:

Just as Wanamaker and its progeny—Macy’s, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Saks, and others—forever changed the retail landscape in dense cities, Sears made a dent in sparsely populated rural areas. Sears, Roebuck & Co.’s mail-order business flourished at a time when farmers in rural America were selling their crops for cash and buying what they needed from rural general stores.

And so that model continued. Until now.
[h=3]Death of a Salesman[/h]Retail store closings have been accelerating for some time, but the rate of closures has sharply increased this year. Jackie Wattles reports at CNN:

Brokerage firm Credit Suisse said in a research report released earlier this month that it's possible more than 8,600 brick-and-mortar stores will close their doors in 2017. For comparison, the report says 2,056 stores closed down in 2016 and 5,077 were shuttered in 2015. The worst year on record is 2008, when 6,163 stores shut down. "Barely a quarter into 2017, year-to-date retail store closings have already surpassed those of 2008," the report says. If stores do close at the rate Credit Suisse is projecting, it could mean America will lose more than 147 million square feet of retail space this year.

Why is this happening? The decline, triggered by the global recession in 2008, has two primary drivers, cheaper clothing alternatives and online shopping:

The growth of cheap, trendy fast-fashion has been unstoppable in the US in the past decade. To illustrate the point, Macy’s famous Manhattan flagship store on 34th Street now shares the corridor with three H&M stores, including the world’s largest, which is literally across the street from one of its other locations. Internet retailers have been grabbing customers from department stores, too, and reducing foot traffic to their brick-and-mortar stores. Financial firm Cowen and Company predicts department-store apparel sales will grow a little in the coming years, but Amazon will blow past them to surpass Macy’s as the biggest clothing retailer in the US by 2017.

It's easy to see why some analysts are predicting the death of brick-and-mortar altogether. And yet there are standouts.
[h=3]Those Still Standing[/h]There are companies that are thriving in this new economic environment, like discount retailers T.J. Maxx and Marshalls, which points to price being a primary factor in the decline of brick-and-mortar. But more high-priced stores are doing well too. Apple's model in particular shows that experience is still important to customers, and that's good news for geek stores.

Hobby stores can resist these trends. A defining trait of geekdom is its devoted fan base, a key attribute for return customers. Additionally, hobby gaming in particular is a participatory experience that requires more than just a sale. Synchrony Financial's white paper, "The Future of Retail," explains the key attributes that will differentiate stores in the future, and geek stores fit the bill:

Brick and mortar stores will exist in the future, but there will be fewer of them. A new model of delivering not only products, but also genuine brand experiences is emerging. People are social by nature and will be drawn to gathering places to share ideas and be entertained. It’s not just about making money. It’s about building trust. Retailers who tap into this trend will be rewarded.

Hobby gaming also tends to have a much stronger form of brand identification that encourages loyalty:

In high-involvement categories, specialty retailers will remain a go-to, but variety will be important. With that said, shoppers are reaching a tipping point around American consumption. Feelings of angst about acquiring too much “stuff” is driving a shift toward purchasing experiences rather than things.

ICv2 notes that stores are recognizing the value of geekdom by shifting their inventories, with Barnes & Noble, Gamestop, and FYE jumping on the geek bandwagon.

Although the future of brick-and-mortar stores looks uncertain, it seems likely hobby gaming outlets -- with their interactive experiences, loyal fan base, and strong brands -- will come out stronger from the downturn.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Mallus

Legend
My guess would be the success of a game store is largely dependent on population density. There are a few comic/game stores in the Philadelphia area with active communities. Like nerdy coffee shops. Seem to be doing well as hybrid retail/social spaces. I don't have much use for them. My gaming purchases are either through Amazon or digital download, and we usually play in our homes.

The exception to this being a few OSR products I bought physical copies of because they double as art objects; A Red and Pleasant Land, Fires on the Velvet Horizon, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Vornheim.

Honestly, if my group played in public, it'd likely be at a bar. Fortunately, I just found out from an article here that one of my favorite pubs in town -- Sardine -- is running a monthly gaming night.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Few want to really think this through. It all comes down to harsh realities. I do not think the answer is a binary choice though.

If I can get the same product more cheaply from an online source what does economics tell us? Its pretty simple. Unless there is added utility from a game store and the distribution channel, consumers will bypass it. I love game stores. However, what I am saying seems to hold true across many retailers.

Does this mean that there is no place for a game store? I believe they will have to adapt.

For example, Miniature Market and Cool Stuff are physical stores that grew an online presence. One of them is local to me. They sell and they sell more cheaply and as a result, they move units.

The problem with a hobby shop charging premium prices is that people can get so much information online for free and as the utility of the hobby shop experience goes down, people are less willing to pay the premium. Not only that, but the online presence means that a person in a rural or unsupported area is even less likely to travel to a hobby shop.

The answer lies is a joint venture. The prices need to come down. For this to happen, more units have to be sold and the online presence is the only way to make this happen on a reasonable scale.

If this happens, I do in fact browse at the hobby shop AND make my purchase there. As it is, I browse and buy something, but often make my bigger purchase online. It is fun to browse, but not worth a 33% markup.

My sense of charity is directed to charities that support ill children and so forth. I do not feel compelled to keep my FLGS open. However, the FLGS that does not charge too much of a premium gets my money.

I will pay a premium for greater utility. I paid more for example to get my 5th edition Player's Handbook sooner. I could not wait and they got a little extra money from me in exchange for their early release.

In my perfect world, these brick and mortar stores will survive! But I believe they will have to adapt in order to do so. No amount of sentimentality is going to do the trick. I have seen people complain bitterly about online competition. Complaining will not change a thing. Getting a webpage and a competitive price will make all the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

fantasmamore

Explorer
Complaining will not change a thing. Getting a webpage and a competitive price will make all the difference.

But how are they going to compete against Amazon?
And it's not just that.
I am going to buy The curse of Strahd next month. I will most probably going to use it with FG or Roll20 and since I can't afford to pay for the same content twice I will most probably skip the physical product and buy it directly from the VTT eshop. I believe that in the years to come the way that we consume the content is going to change drastically (if it hasn't already). In this enviroment I fear that the small stores have no hope...

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Few want to really think this through. It all comes down to harsh realities. I do not think the answer is a binary choice though.

If I can get the same product more cheaply from an online source what does economics tell us? Its pretty simple. Unless there is added utility from a game store and the distribution channel, consumers will bypass it. I love game stores. However, what I am saying seems to hold true across many retailers.

Does this mean that there is no place for a game store? I believe they will have to adapt.

For example, Miniature Market and Cool Stuff are physical stores that grew an online presence. One of them is local to me. They sell and they sell more cheaply and as a result, they move units.

The problem with a hobby shop charging premium prices is that people can get so much information online for free and as the utility of the hobby shop experience goes down, people are less willing to pay the premium. Not only that, but the online presence means that a person in a rural or unsupported area is even less likely to travel to a hobby shop.

The answer lies is a joint venture. The prices need to come down. For this to happen, more units have to be sold and the online presence is the only way to make this happen on a reasonable scale.

If this happens, I do in fact browse at the hobby shop AND make my purchase there. As it is, I browse and buy something, but often make my bigger purchase online. It is fun to browse, but not worth a 33% markup.

My sense of charity is directed to charities that support ill children and so forth. I do not feel compelled to keep my FLGS open. However, the FLGS that does not charge too much of a premium gets my money.

I will pay a premium for greater utility. I paid more for example to get my 5th edition Player's Handbook sooner. I could not wait and they got a little extra money from me in exchange for their early release.

In my perfect world, these brick and mortar stores will survive! But I believe they will have to adapt in order to do so. No amount of sentimentality is going to do the trick. I have seen people complain bitterly about online competition. Complaining will not change a thing. Getting a webpage and a competitive price will make all the difference.

Yep. I want to support my LGS but beyond charity they don't offer me that much. I do go to Miniature Market myself since I can order online and go pick it up, and pay discount prices. There is another shop in the area Game Nite that seems to do really well since they have a lot of public gaming space and private rental rooms and they were packed on Saturday, but shopping there is a MSRP experience and I can't see paying full price for books I can get elsewhere cheaper. I only really do small impulse buys from there.

dave2008

Legend

Actually, behavioral economists will tell you that people often do not act rationally and do no base their purchasing on the best economic choice.

As an example. I routinely buy my D&D products from my local FLGS and pay a premium price for the product over what I would pay for it online. On top of that it cost me gas and 40+ minutes (round trip) of my time.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Actually, behavioral economists will tell you that people often do not act rationally and do no base their purchasing on the best economic choice.

As an example. I routinely buy my D&D products from my local FLGS and pay a premium price for the product over what I would pay for it online. On top of that it cost me gas and 40+ minutes (round trip) of my time.

Well, it is true people often act irrationally. It is also true that if you lower prices, you move more units. If you move more units, your competitors typically move fewer units.

The example I provide is the very fact that many stores are closing up as online retailers are flourishing.

As a counterpoint to your example, I will not drive further and spend more if I can help it. Occasionally, yes. Typically, no. In aggregate, the higher prices mean fewer sales. In the old days I merely knew game supplies were expensive and I could not afford as much as I would like.

Now that I know things can be more cheaply acquired I make use of this knowledge. I do not think I am particularly exceptional in this regard.

Zarithar

Adventurer
In my experience, if it wasn't for MTG, most game and comic book stores would be shuttered. I think the sales of booster packs and snacks are what keep most of these places afloat.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
We used to have a FLGS up until ten years ago. The store owner decided that hobby gaming wasn't going to pay the bills so turned the store into a bicycle store. He still runs Magic tournaments and orders gaming stuff for us but it's not the same. Unfortunately the internet has destroyed gaming stores due to cost. People want cheap and turn their back on stores when those stores are the hub for gamers. The only way stores are going to make their saving throws is if gamers continue to support their local store rather than buying online.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Correct. Unless business models change...

Look at Miniature Market and Cool Stuff...

In reality, these stores will remain rare (i.e. brick and mortar with big online presence) and most others will keep dying off. Its not fun to imagine but probably realistic. To charge more you most offer substantially more.

Again, the hubs were once the place to learn. So much is now duplicated by websites (EnWorld anyone?) among others.

The sentimental part of me hates seeing old things torn down for the new. The realistic part of me knows it is unavoidable...with a few exceptions.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads