Can Hobby Stores Make Their Saving Throw?

We've talked before about geek culture taking over the world, from movies to conventions, but another trend is accelerating that may affect hobby gaming: the death of the retail store. Can geek culture save it?

We've talked before about geek culture taking over the world, from movies to conventions, but another trend is accelerating that may affect hobby gaming: the death of the retail store. Can geek culture save it?
View attachment 86116
[h=3]From Craftspeople to Chain Stores[/h]Retail stores came into vogue in the 1870s. Prior to that point, shoppers primarily dealt with craftspeople locally:

It wasn’t until mass manufacturing gathered steam, fueled by the national railroad and wider transportation networks, that the concept of a department store became viable. John Wanamaker, whom many generally regard as the pioneer of marketing, opened the first department store in Philadelphia in 1876. Unlike small shops at the time, Wanamaker’s made use of price tags and a money-back guarantee. Out went constant haggling with small-time proprietors, and with it, various cottage industries.

It didn't take long for another company to upend the department store mode. It was Sears who cut out the middleman, a sort of Amazon of its day:

Just as Wanamaker and its progeny—Macy’s, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Saks, and others—forever changed the retail landscape in dense cities, Sears made a dent in sparsely populated rural areas. Sears, Roebuck & Co.’s mail-order business flourished at a time when farmers in rural America were selling their crops for cash and buying what they needed from rural general stores.

And so that model continued. Until now.
[h=3]Death of a Salesman[/h]Retail store closings have been accelerating for some time, but the rate of closures has sharply increased this year. Jackie Wattles reports at CNN:

Brokerage firm Credit Suisse said in a research report released earlier this month that it's possible more than 8,600 brick-and-mortar stores will close their doors in 2017. For comparison, the report says 2,056 stores closed down in 2016 and 5,077 were shuttered in 2015. The worst year on record is 2008, when 6,163 stores shut down. "Barely a quarter into 2017, year-to-date retail store closings have already surpassed those of 2008," the report says. If stores do close at the rate Credit Suisse is projecting, it could mean America will lose more than 147 million square feet of retail space this year.

Why is this happening? The decline, triggered by the global recession in 2008, has two primary drivers, cheaper clothing alternatives and online shopping:

The growth of cheap, trendy fast-fashion has been unstoppable in the US in the past decade. To illustrate the point, Macy’s famous Manhattan flagship store on 34th Street now shares the corridor with three H&M stores, including the world’s largest, which is literally across the street from one of its other locations. Internet retailers have been grabbing customers from department stores, too, and reducing foot traffic to their brick-and-mortar stores. Financial firm Cowen and Company predicts department-store apparel sales will grow a little in the coming years, but Amazon will blow past them to surpass Macy’s as the biggest clothing retailer in the US by 2017.

It's easy to see why some analysts are predicting the death of brick-and-mortar altogether. And yet there are standouts.
[h=3]Those Still Standing[/h]There are companies that are thriving in this new economic environment, like discount retailers T.J. Maxx and Marshalls, which points to price being a primary factor in the decline of brick-and-mortar. But more high-priced stores are doing well too. Apple's model in particular shows that experience is still important to customers, and that's good news for geek stores.

Hobby stores can resist these trends. A defining trait of geekdom is its devoted fan base, a key attribute for return customers. Additionally, hobby gaming in particular is a participatory experience that requires more than just a sale. Synchrony Financial's white paper, "The Future of Retail," explains the key attributes that will differentiate stores in the future, and geek stores fit the bill:

Brick and mortar stores will exist in the future, but there will be fewer of them. A new model of delivering not only products, but also genuine brand experiences is emerging. People are social by nature and will be drawn to gathering places to share ideas and be entertained. It’s not just about making money. It’s about building trust. Retailers who tap into this trend will be rewarded.

Hobby gaming also tends to have a much stronger form of brand identification that encourages loyalty:

In high-involvement categories, specialty retailers will remain a go-to, but variety will be important. With that said, shoppers are reaching a tipping point around American consumption. Feelings of angst about acquiring too much “stuff” is driving a shift toward purchasing experiences rather than things.

ICv2 notes that stores are recognizing the value of geekdom by shifting their inventories, with Barnes & Noble, Gamestop, and FYE jumping on the geek bandwagon.

Although the future of brick-and-mortar stores looks uncertain, it seems likely hobby gaming outlets -- with their interactive experiences, loyal fan base, and strong brands -- will come out stronger from the downturn.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

I live in the DFW Metroplex. There are a lot of game stores in the area, including two that are within 10 minutes of me. There are at least a dozen others within a 20 minute drive.

Only one ever carries the things I am interested in buying, though, and it's 45 minutes away. I go there when I'm on that side of the Metroplex and usually buy something, but that only happens a few times a year. It stays open long hours and has a deep selection, so I like to support it when I can.

The other stores never have anything that interests me in stock. No matter how many times I visit them throughout the year, I almost always walk out empty-handed. MTG, board games, Pathfinder books, Games Workshop products, and D&D stuff make up 3/4 of their stock, at least, and I'm not interested in any of those things.

I understand the economic issues facing game stores and sympathize with them. I'm even willing to buy things for higher prices than I could find online, just to help them out. I'm not going to buy things I don't want or need, though.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The "experience" is a double-edged sword for the FLGS. Even the nicest stores I've visited have a vaguely Cheeto and Mountain Dew atmosphere. The owners/employees are often super nice, but don't always appear "professional". I don't necessarily want a guy in a tie to sell me my D&D books, but athletic shorts and a death metal T-shirt might be a bit too far in the other direction. Sometimes, the counter staff is engaged in other stuff -- which is cool, but.... I can't tell who they are amongst the other unwashed nerds, when I actually want to check out.

Speaking of the other nerds, some are great, but there are others who aren't so much so. I've got four girls who'd really love to become nerds (or to continue to grow as such), but the level of language as well as certain other behavioral issues (stop staring at my teenage daughter, yes, she's athletic) can make it an unpleasant experience.

I'm not saying these are universal, by any means. I'm just saying that it's not exactly the same sort of sub-culture experience one gets going into a gun, bike, or camera store.

As a gamer and someone who regularly hits the shooting range to keep my skills up for my concealed-carry permit, there are strong parallels among the professionalism of gun stores and game stores.

Some games stores have the cheetos and mountain dew, unwashed nerd feel run by owners who are unfriendly to newbies and women—if you can get them to pay attention to you at all.

Some gun stores have an unwashed redneck vibe, run by owners who are unfriendly to newbies with varying undertones of racism, sexism, and anti-government paranoia.

But some gaming stores have large, clean, bright gaming areas with spacious and plentiful tables and comfortable chairs, large libraries of games you can play for free, well-organized events, plentiful parking and handicap-friendly design; restaurants serving a menu of varied and good food, and staffed by knowledgeable, attentive, helpful, and well put-together staff. Example: Fantasy Flight Game Center: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/more/fantasy-flight-games-center/

Some gun shops have clean, attractive, modern facilities with not only excellent shooting ranges, but lounges, restaurants, training and meeting rooms, and gun shops staffed by friendly, attentive, knowledgeable, helpful staff—including *gasp* women! Example: Stock and Barrel Gun Club: http://stockandbarrel.com/gallery/

The same could probably be said for any enthusiast targeted store (camping, biking, camera), though probably not to the extent you see with game stores and gun shops/clubs.

Zarithar

Adventurer
I'm lucky to live in the Seattle area which is home to several nice, welcoming game stores such as Cafe Mox (2 locations) and Zulu's Board Game Cafe. Huge variety of board, card, and RPG games... but for all of them, Magic is their bread & butter.

AriochQ

Adventurer
IMHO, successful game stores have learned to expand their revenue streams. MtG keeps the lights on and pays the rent, but you only make so much off of RPG's and board games. Adding comfortable play area's, food, drink, and other revenue streams is what separates a typical game store from a 'modern' game store.

With so many people wanting to record their gaming sessions to post online, I am surprised I haven't heard of a game store offering video/audio recording services. I bet some people would pay a premium price for a service like that.

Sunsword

Adventurer
In my experience, if it wasn't for MTG, most game and comic book stores would be shuttered. I think the sales of booster packs and snacks are what keep most of these places afloat.

As someone who has run 2 comic/game stores for 2 decades, we do have to constantly evolve. I'm as much an event planner as a salesperson. But you can't move enough products online to compete with Amazon. You simply can't. Imagine if your employer could pay someone to do your job at 40% of the salary. That is what local game stores are facing.

Rygar

Explorer
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I think there's a fairly high chance hobby stores are doomed.

Hobby stores depend on Magic the Gathering to survive, Pokémon makes a fair amount of money but it's appeal is limited to children and only those in specific age ranges, so not serving a market that has large amounts of disposable income. Board games sell relatively well but they aren't products that bring people in to a game store every week, you buy one and then you go home and play it. RPG's we'll get to in a minute.

Mtg appears to be in a precarious position right now. The game is plagued with an increasingly high cost of entry and WOTC's handling of the product line makes purchases no longer playable at faster rates. $50 cards aren't bizarre anymore, especially in some of WOTC's formats. The alternative is drafting, which is $15-$20 a game. They've been releasing more and more products beside their primary line and stores are marking them up *hugely*. I've seen stores markup boxes more than 200% of MSRP before they're even released. IMO it isn't sustainable, especially since we're talking about a 25 year old product with probably tens of thousands of cards out there, so its not like they're really producing anything new, just producing the same cards with different names.

If Mtg tumbles hobby stores don't have anything to turn to that would sustain them. 10 year olds are not going to support the cost of a game store. Selling boardgames isn't going to do it either.

RPG's could have, but WOTC shot the hobby stores in the foot. For RPG's to sustain a game store they needed products they could sell in fair numbers on a regular basis. WOTC doesn't make those. They killed Dungeon and Dragon, so no more revenue from magazine sales to D&D players. They don't do regular modules, so no more revenue from selling pre-written adventures other than one every few months. They don't do supplements, so no more revenue from those books. They killed the novel lines, so no more revenue from selling novels based on D&D. WOTC's business plan is the core books and an adventure path every once in a while.

Pathfinder's aging, it had the right model, but with 3.x approaching 20 years of age, it's unlikely to get the rapid penetration it would need to sustain hobby shops.

So I don't think hobby stores will last much longer. All of their products are on Amazon, and with WOTC pursuing a policy of disinterest in D&D there's no fallback if Mtg were to finally fail.

Elf_flambe

Explorer
The other stores never have anything that interests me in stock. No matter how many times I visit them throughout the year, I almost always walk out empty-handed. MTG, board games, Pathfinder books, Games Workshop products, and D&D stuff make up 3/4 of their stock, at least, and I'm not interested in any of those things.

Just out of curiosity, what gaming products are you interested in? You listed most of the major categories, and I'm not sure what's left that would have enough demand to help support a business. Wargaming? (But you listed GW, so that rules out Warhammer.) Non-MtG card games? Star Wars RPG or miniatures games? Small press games of various stripes can be interesting, but demand is usually limited, so is it realistic for a FLGS to carry a deep selection? You may just have eclectic-enough tastes that most stores just can't cater to you economically. They can't be all things to all people, unfortunately.

Henry

Autoexreginated
The MOST ESSENTIAL trait in my mind is customer experience. There is a segment for which price will always be a factor (I admit, I'm one of them) but if a store gives me a great experience, passionate knowledgeable staff, and at least a TINY bit off of MSRP, I will return, and keep returning. There are still a shocking number of local game stores with surly or shy sales clerks, mismanaged stock inventory, and lack of knowledge on current trends. It's shocking because I have no idea what keeps these stores alive. I can't visualize a world with NO hobby gaming stores; I can easily see a world in this day and age of Internet Communities with ALMOST no hobby stores. Between sites like Meetup and Facebook communities, it's fairly easy to coordinate without brick and mortar now; however, It would be so much easier to have a place that fosters geek congregation without someone having to open their homes to complete strangers, and LGS's still do that.

Coreyartus

Explorer
If gaming stores can't rely upon product to keep them afloat, then what is it that they do have that can't be replaced? Community. Over and over again, I see gamers complain that they don't have the space to play the games they want. It seems the natural evolution of gaming stores isn't going to be in the response to whatever game du jour is hot at the moment but at the one things all gamers enjoy and need regardless of what they're playing: space.

Most of the successful gaming stores that I know of have one thing in common: a very large common gaming room that engenders community by providing a place to play. Some stores (like At Ease in San Diego, CA) have taken that to the extreme by annexing a bar space next door. But it seems to me that if gaming stores aren't able to survive by selling stuff, the one thing they can do is what has been alluded to above: sell the experience.

Copying/binding/map-printing/3D-modeling-on-demand services, wifi access and digital gaming surfaces and projection tables with easy PC hookups, spacious and comfortable gaming facilities, food/drink vending, equipment rental, Painting/Modeling workshop spaces and tools, etc--these are the kinds of spaces gamers can't get at Amazon.

As we gamers age, we're going to be looking for the "Lion's Club/Elk's Lodge" types of spaces that are more about community than product, where we don't have to sacrifice an entire room in our homes to play a game. I suspect gamers will pay for moderate membership fee (like a gym) for a rental space that provides everything they need that they simply can't afford to purchase/set up on their own.

These, I suspect, will be the new gaming spaces of the future as gaming stores continue to lose the sales battle to on-line vendors and turn to other mechanisms to draw people into their spaces. I can easily see the quality of the play environment and the community it engenders turning some facilities into permanent "mini-cons". Entrepreneurs may need to add hosting, booking, and property management skills to their encyclopedic gaming knowledge.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Having gaming space is where the future lies in my opinion. The bicycle shop that I mentioned previously opens up on Sunday afternoons just for gaming. Four tables, three are usually grabbed by the Magic players but one is always kept for the players who bring down boardgames. He doesn't charge for space as he knows that peeps will buy their games through him even though he has to order rather than have on shelves. It does seem that people forget that the function of a hobby games store (outside of making their profit target) is community. Have space for players and those players will create a community and buy more.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads