D&D 5E Savage Tide AP Thoughts?

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Howdy-

I am thinking about running this adventure for my Friday group and of course converting it to 5E on the fly. The hook into the adventure will of course need some work but that is as far as I have gotten reading over this adventure. Anyway, if someone has ran this, how did the party fare? I am not a fan of canned adventures but my time is limited.

Scott

MarkB

Legend
I ran it up to the point where they reached the island. I liked the starting city, and would gladly have done more there. I found it a rather deadly adventure, with lots of character turnover, but converting it to 5e should mitigate that.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Howdy-

I am thinking about running this adventure for my Friday group and of course converting it to 5E on the fly. The hook into the adventure will of course need some work but that is as far as I have gotten reading over this adventure. Anyway, if someone has ran this, how did the party fare? I am not a fan of canned adventures but my time is limited.

Scott

I have not run Savage Tides, but I did convert all of Age of Worms and ran it from level 1 to 20. You can find that here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1254

The first file in that list has a few tables that help convert ability score checks and trap DCs on the fly as well as advice on other aspects of conversion including balancing encounters. Hope it helps.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Thanks for that Tormyr much appreciated. To be honest, I ran the Age of Worms campaign, its ok but it just was not to my tastes. Savage Tide has the Isle of dread, so that in itself is very cool and that alone is what had me gravitate to the Savage Tide AP series.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Howdy-

Scott

I ran it for 5e, until just before the isle of dread portion. I think the city adventure based out of and around Sassarine is excellent. But I think it kinda falls apart once they leave the city as a base and move on to the island. It's like a completely separate, and worse, adventure from that point on. I wish they'd just stuck with Sassarine. The Isle of Dread portion, in my opinion, needs more work to make it flow better.

Zardnaar

Legend
Basically what others have said. The early parts are good and it goes downhill with the Isle of Dread part and gets worse later on.

I would probably use Sasserine as base and run 5E stuff from there setting it on Greyhawk. Sasserine can be dropped anywhere.

Its kind of 3 parts not linked that well. Early game the isle and planar later on. I think I would break it up myself and focus on Sasserine or the Isle.

AD&D or BECMI might also be a better option if you hacked it.

hastur_nz

First Post
I ran it, as my one and only campaign with 4e rules. We played the whole thing, plus a little bit of home-brew, so from 1st to 30th level (4e), so obviously we all quite enjoyed it (I've also run Age of Worms twice using 3.5 and 5e, and played a bit of their first ever AP in 3.5). I actually used Eberron as the campaign world for Savage Tide, the first (and only) time I'd actually DM'd using Eberron, because I thought the Savage Tide actually worked really well for the 4e version of Eberron - especially how the "outer planes" actually worked, i.e. the Isle of Dread was tied to the Shadowdark, and instead of going extra-planar, you just descend into the Khyber.

Anyway, read the basic campaign overview, and think about how far into the campaign you might actually DM - don't assume you'll run it all, it's designed for up to 20th level which would be the same in 5e and as you get higher up your work as DM will increase just 'cause 5e at high levels doesn't really work as written and your choice of monsters becomes quite limited. It's also a year or two to run it all, depending on how often you play.

The basic plot of the AP is, roughly, three parts, which for me corresponded to the three tiers of play in 4e - the lowest tier is in Sasserine and thereabouts, then mid-tier you're sailing to the Isle of Dread etc, then in the top tier you are off into the outer planes or whatever killing demons and so on - it's the classic D&D progression, which is a good thing - it doesn't make sense for PC's to stick around home base until they hit 20th level. Personally, I actually found the initial bits in Sasserine as my least favourite, from memory I scrapped some of that and used something else instead - the latter pirate-themed bits were cool, as was Isle of Dread with a tweak or two, and I actually really liked the end-game descent into the lower planes, from memory my players really liked it too.

Converting to 5e should be pretty easy on the fly, I think as DM's we tend to over-complicate such things. For example, recently I have / am running a few older adventures from 1e, Basic, 3.5 and 4e, and all I do is skim through them before and make notes in the margins (usually on photocopies) as to what monsters to use for what, and maybe some DC numbers. Once in a while I'll make an A4 sheet for something custom or to bring a number of pages from the MM together, but that's rare. For example, I'm currently running LAst Breaths of Ashemport, using the 4e version, and in the combat pieces I just make a note like "4 x Thugs, 2 x Mystic Cultists" - that's all!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I ran it for 5e, until just before the isle of dread portion. I think the city adventure based out of and around Sassarine is excellent. But I think it kinda falls apart once they leave the city as a base and move on to the island. It's like a completely separate, and worse, adventure from that point on. I wish they'd just stuck with Sassarine. The Isle of Dread portion, in my opinion, needs more work to make it flow better.

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for this update. I'd been looking back on my blog entries of 2007, which is when I played the game, and then that led to your original post on running it... I was wondering how it went!

And apparently it went for you about as well as it went for us! :)

Cheers,
Merric

hastur_nz

First Post

You are correct; luckily for me, I ran it quite a long time after it was published, so I just stripped out the whole Sasserine piece, and grafted in a couple of different adventures, picking up the AP from adventure #2 IIRC, by which time the group is already sailing their way around the world. So the players knew right away, that the starting town was somewhere they would quickly leave; that was part of the set-up. It was a cool campaign, sailing around the world, then through the lower planes - epic stuff.

The same problem was evident in Age of Worms - you start off in a cool little town, which just as the players are getting attached to it, the AP pulls them away... at least there, they do eventually return, albeit briefly.

While the Isle of Dread portion did indeed require some mods to make it work well, not a lot more than usual IIRC (I think I mainly just stream-lined the travel bits).

the Jester

Legend
I read the early parts of it and really enjoyed it. I ran the first adventure as a one-shot and everyone really enjoyed it. I like the looks of most of what I read, and I once ran a sargasso adventure (before ST came out) that was really fun and sort of thematically similar to the one in the AP. I dunno, I think it would be a pretty cool path to run or play, but that's without having read the high end of it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases