D&D 5E Scientist background

You ever tried tried teaching maths to a small child? You start with counting, 1, 2, 3. Just because it's elementary doesn't make it not maths.

As for zero, let's just say that goes well beyond elementary...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If they presented their findings as proven, without some kind of mathematical evidence to back it up, then no, they are not a scientist.

Yup...

And even to understand the results. I have seen way too many people look at even just the results of studies and not understand that it due to various caveats and details including study sizes and p distributions the studies do not say what people think they do.

Last edited:

Before this detour becomes too acrimonious, and while I am aware that statistics are generally important to prove scientific hypotheses, I think I should probably reiterate the context in which I (and possibly Jaelis) was answering:

Would a scientist be able to read wizard writing,or would they have their own writing methods?

If they're a wizard then probably.
If they aren't, then why do you think that they might?

Don’t scientists in our world use complicated mathematical formulas to try to explain their various theories?

Not sure of it's been mentioned but I'd give proficiency bonus to attempt to reverse engineer some type of contraption. Maybe as the character does this he crafts a schematic and can build a replica?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
As I am pretty much, some one else mentioned up thread, scientific investigation is possible in a world where repeatable, independent observations are possible.

In a magical world, the scientific method might never be developed because it appears that by default humans are inclined to ascribe agency to natural phenomenon. It is all done by the actions of spirits.

Now, in a DnD world it may very well, all be done by spirits, and a clever scientist might be able to prove this. or, everything may operate according to the interactions of various fundamental forces.

Remove ads