Harassment At PaizoCon 2017

In our post-Harvey Weinstein world, more and more people in the various entertainment industries are coming forward with allegations of abuse and harassment, both sexual and psychological. The tabletop gaming industry isn't isolated from this wave of revelation as incidents surface, and will likely continue to surface about professionals, and fans, within the gaming communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our post-Harvey Weinstein world, more and more people in the various entertainment industries are coming forward with allegations of abuse and harassment, both sexual and psychological. The tabletop gaming industry isn't isolated from this wave of revelation as incidents surface, and will likely continue to surface about professionals, and fans, within the gaming communities.

Stories of harassment within tabletop gaming, at conventions and stores, and even in local gaming groups are nothing new. That is probably the saddest fact of this whole thing: that despite stories being brought to light, not only does harassment continue to happen but the existence of it continues to be denied by some. This denial is one of the factors that allows abuse and harassment to continue within tabletop RPGs.

Allegations of improper behavior at the 2017 PaizoCon by Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb were brought to life by Pathfinder content creator Robert Brookes. Brookes was attending PaizoCon and has written for Paizo and Legendary Games, among others. In an incident involving alcohol, Webb allegedly sexually harassed another guest at the convention and when a staffer attempted to intervene and injury occurred with the staffer.

In a thread about harassment and abuse on gaming forum RPGNet, Frog God Games partner Matt Finch, creator of the Swords & Wizardry retroclone, confirmed that the incident with Webb occurred, and revealed some details about an internal investigation that the partners of Frog God Games conducted into the incident:

"I am Matt Finch, the partner of Frog God Games appointed by the partners to investigate a sexual harassment complaint filed against Mr. Webb at PaizoCon 2017. Mr. Webb was not consulted by the partners on this decision. Due to recent accusations made on Twitter by a third party, I will outline the aspects of the situation to the extent that they do not compromise the confidentiality of the person who filed the report, I will describe the nature of our internal investigation, and will also address the recently-raised tweets by Robert Brookes on his twitter feed. This report will not necessarily be updated; it stands for itself at the time of posting, based on the knowledge I currently have.

"First, it is correct that a complaint was filed with Paizo at PaizoCon against Bill. I was made aware of this by phone on the day it happened (I was not present at the convention). Frog God is aware of the identity of the person who made the complaint, because they spoke to three of our partners at the convention after the event. We have not been invited to share that person’s identity, and although we are not under legal obligation to protect that confidentiality we have elected to respect that person’s desire not to have the event brought into the spotlight.

"Gathering information in a situation like this is necessarily limited due to Paizo’s own confidentiality obligations. To assemble information, I spoke to the three partners who had talked with the person who filed the complaint, and obtained their accounts of what they were told. Secondhand accounts are not perfect, and I had to weigh that against the fact that an attorney making direct contact with someone who has filed such a report can be seen as a threat or intimidation, and weighing those two issues, I chose to rely on a comparison of the conversations between the individual and our partners, plus Paizo’s own resolution of the matter at the time, plus a necessarily-cautious review of Bill’s account. There has been contact between the person who filed the complaint and Frog God partners since the event, and I will provide a screenshot of one such communication with the name redacted. I believe the screenshot provides a great deal of clarification.

"Reducing the event to a level that will maintain confidentiality, my understanding based on my investigation was that Bill Webb took an action and engaged in speech that could be construed as a sexual advance or as gender-dismissive.

"In consequence of this finding, I and another senior partner of the company had a meeting with Mr. Webb about expectations, standards of behavior, and future protocol. We addressed that one’s lack of bad intentions does not excuse problematic behavior.

"Some people have asked that Mr. Webb acknowledge and apologize for the situation. Bill does deeply regret his actions, and understands that they were inappropriate and upsetting. I have told Mr. Webb not to contact the person directly, for the same reason that I have not done so myself: the potential for that contact to appear intimidating or threatening. However, at whatever time the person lets us know that a direct apology from Mr. Webb would be welcomed, that apology will be immediately forthcoming. Mr. Webb is also under instruction not to discuss this matter in public, in case peripheral details were to be inadvertently disclosed that might allow the identification of the person by another party. This is also the reason we chose to have me, as the investigating partner, write the public report, given that a report has become necessary in response to a recent description of the event on Twitter."

We reached out to Webb for comment upon this incident, and we were directed to the RPGNet post by Finch. This is the company's official statement on what happened at PaizoCon. Whether or not there will be further repercussions within Frog God Games due to this incident and Webb's actions remain to be seen.

Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens has released an official statement on the incident on the Paizo forums. When EN World reached out to Paizo for official comment, we were directed to this statement:

"My name is Lisa Stevens and I am the CEO and owner of Paizo Inc. Events of the past few weeks have compelled me to make this statement.

"My company will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our employees, male or female. We will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our customers on paizo.com or at sanctioned organized play activities. Whenever I hear any allegations of sexual harassment or assault related to Paizo’s activities, I always immediately drop whatever I'm doing and I make getting to the bottom of these issues my top priority. We have banned people from paizo.com. We have banned people from participating in our organized play activities. We have stopped doing business with individuals. And we will continue to do so.
"As a woman and a survivor of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape, I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of these attacks. I know what it is like to feel the shame, the terror, how it changes your life forever. And because of this, I will never stand for my company to condone this behavior.

"Paizo’s employees are encouraged to come forward with any allegations of sexual harassment or assault and let a manager know as soon as possible. If criminal activities have taken place, they are encouraged to report it to the police and take legal action against the perpetrator. We have asked our employees to not engage in explosive and angry dialogue on paizo.com. We want our website to be a place where our customers feel safe and among friends. If there is problem on paizo.com, then our community team will handle it and, where appropriate, ban the perpetrator.

"In closing, you have my word that I have zero tolerance for sexual harassment and assault, and the same is true of Paizo. Please be aware that we treat these issues with tremendous sensitivity, and only disclose the specifics and resolutions of any such incidents on a need-to-know basis, even within Paizo or with our legal counsel. We do not and will not discuss these matters publicly. Every instance that I am aware of has been thoroughly investigated, and appropriate actions have been taken or are in the process of being taken. You have my word on this."

Unrelated to the PaizoCon incident, Brookes also revealed an incident of harassment within the Pathfinder Society organized play program. When a volunteer staffer reported this incident, their supervisor informed them that an NDA they had signed to be part of the program would not allow her to discuss this incident. Paizo has not officially commented on this incident or commented on whether or not there is an investigation into it.

If tabletop role-playing games are truly going to be an inclusive, we have to be better about not just reporting incidents of abuse and harassment but being dedicated to creating spaces that are safe and free of harassment of our fellow gamers. We also need to shine a spotlight onto the incidents of harassment that occur, it is the responsibility of journalists, bloggers and gamers to do this and let people know that their actions will come to light and that they will be held responsible. It is also important to not just talk about those parts of the gaming communities that we don't agree with, but to also bring to light the improper actions of those companies and communities with whom we do agree, because unless every act of harassment is revealed there will be no change within our communities.

Remember that EN World is an inclusive community.
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Matthan

Explorer
I don’t have anything useful to add to the overall discussion. The idea of harassment and abuse is completely unacceptable to me and I want it to be prevented whenever possible and punished when it occurs.

I am bothered by Frog God Games in this situation. I have supported their products. I have backed their kickstarters. It is not an exaggeration to say that I have hundreds of dollars of their material. I do not accept a reprimand towards Mr. Webb as sufficient in this case. I understand and appreciate the careful tact that the company took in dealing with the issue and respect Mr. Finch’s response. I do not need to hear a public statement from Mr. Webb, but I do want to hear from the company that Mr. Webb is undergoing some form of official harrassment training from an organization or official not connected to FGG as well as some form of treatment for his drinking.

I understand and appreciate the need for privacy and respect for the victim. I do not believe that a statement of remorse along with a list of the steps being taken to prevent the situation from recurring would violate the respect the victim deserves. Such a response can be presented through Mr. Finch.

Furthermore, I believe it would be prudent of FGG to ask Mr. Webb to not attend conventions for the foreseeable future. Such an act would speak volumes towards the company’s commitment to preventing further incidents. By their now deleted social media post, the company is aware of the poor and unprofessional behavior of Mr. Webb at conventions. This matter should be addressed instead of joked about.

Until something along these lines is done, I can’t in good conscience support the company. I was very much looking forward to Rappan Athuk for 5e and had begun to save for that Kickstarter. I know I only represent a single sale, but it is the only vote I have.

Thank you to the staff at ENworld for reporting this. I do not follow other sites or Twitter and rely on this site for my rpg news. Please continue to report this story if there are any updates.

Last edited by a moderator:

TanithT

First Post
WRT Folca, how do you expect to flesh out horrible, evil villains for players to fight against without backstory and at least some notion of how their mechanics and stats work? And is everyone going to start piling on Stephen King next for what he created? Or on people who enjoyed his most recent popular movie, which is all about a creepy child abuse demon?

Some themes are legitimately triggering or upsetting for survivors of abuse and should in no way be introduced to any players without the full and informed consent of everyone at the table. They're definitely not appropriate for a public setting or for a game that may include actual minors. Other people may just find them distasteful and not consent to play with any of these elements. That consent or lack of should absolutely be respected. Conversely, adults who want to explore grimdark themes should be allowed to do so in their own home games.

Not so much appropriate for organized play though. That could be problematic for the reasons above.

MechaPilot

Explorer
WRT Folca, how do you expect to flesh out horrible, evil villains for players to fight against without backstory and at least some notion of how their mechanics and stats work? And is everyone going to start piling on Stephen King next for what he created? Or on people who enjoyed his most recent popular movie, which is all about a creepy child abuse demon?

Why would anyone pile on king for Pennywise when IT also contains a far more objectionable underage gangbang by the protagonists?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Hiya!

EDIT: Snip

All right, I'll bow out. He was wrong. I totally agree. He was a drunken d-bag. No denying it. My point was that if no charges are going to be laid...then it doesn't matter as nothing will "be done" about it other than online platitudes and virtue signaling by some. Want to really make people think twice about drinking themselves stupid and aggressively pursuing someone? Take them to court. Otherwise.... "...sigh..."

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Nonsense. You can get the word out and not financially support Bill Webb or the companies and conventions he is involved with, and let them know why you are not supporting them.

Boycotting can be an effective way to counter conduct and positions you disagree with.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Why would anyone pile on king for Pennywise when IT also contains a far more objectionable underage gangbang by the protagonists?

I don't think that scene is in the movies, just the book. And that scene is near the end of the book, so by that point you are already on board, and if I remember the book correctly its not a graphic scene. You know it happened, but it's not described in an erotic fashion. To me it came across as a somewhat clumsy/creepy attempt at female empowerment on the part of Mr. King.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shemeska

Adventurer
But is the book where the Falco is printed PFS legal? If this kind of content is something I have a chance of coming across in PF's organized play—well, at least I know to avoid it. I may have to deal with some objectionable language or the occasional socially-stunted player at a an AL game, but the material has never been an issue and I've never worried about taking my son to an AL game.

Not to my knowledge no. The hardcover 'Book of the Damned' is not listed among the PFS additional resources. Additionally you can't play evil characters in PFS, and I cannot fathom a non-evil character performing Folca's obedience and thus gaining any of the associated mechanical boons. So no, you won't run into that in PFS.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Not to my knowledge no. The hardcover 'Book of the Damned' is not listed among the PFS additional resources. Additionally you can't play evil characters in PFS, and I cannot fathom a non-evil character performing Folca's obedience and thus gaining any of the associated mechanical boons. So no, you won't run into that in PFS.

Okay, good to know. Still find it in bad taste to have the material printed and sold, but glad to know that it would be unwelcome in a PFS game.

TanithT

First Post
As to the suggestions that Paizo handles harassment reports poorly, from my admittedly limited perspective as an attendee who had an entirely different but not completely dissimilar problem, I would have to say that they were tremendously interested in making sure that anyone who behaved themselves inappropriately was not invited back and was no longer associated with the brand. I opted not to name names for my own reasons, and suggested addressing the general policies of what constituted harassment rather than the individual in my case. I consider their response to have been fully appropriate and sympathetic, with immediate willingness to take real and meaningful action. I was told - and I fully believe it - that such policy discussion was already taking place and was being taken very seriously.

The offense aimed in my direction was far less serious than the one described here, but it was sufficiently unpleasant to ruin my convention and cement my general disinclination to have anything much to do with gaming in the future. It's just not worth it. I can have lots of fun doing things outdoors by myself, and that fun does not come with a predictable side order of this kind of unpleasantness. The gaming community does, so I mostly just don't participate any more. I've been an avid tabletop gamer since childhood - I still remember the D&D boxed set - but after more of these kinds of incidents than I even want to remember over the years, I just can't keep doing it.

I don't delude myself that my quietly opting not to participate is a terrible loss to the gaming community. It's not. I'm no one special or important. No one knows who I am or has any reason to care. But the underlying reason is important, because it affects so many others. Including people you will probably never hear from, because they're just gone. That's what happens when you don't fix a missing stair. There are so damn many missing stairs in the gamer community that it's a permanent minefield for folks who have the temerity to game while being female bodied. I do think the folks at Paizo generally do a very good job at being inclusive, non tolerant of harassment and highly protective of people who are harassed. But the underlying problem is too big and pervasive for any company, even the best, to fix all by themselves. They really are doing a lot of good and do not deserve to be vilified because they haven't done the impossible. I wish people would stop trashing them for what is very much not their fault. But they won't, and that's another part of the problem right there.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Yeah, PFS is a lot less R-rated in general than some of the more adult-oriented materials like 'Book of the Damned'. They know kids participate in PFS too.

the_redbeard

Explorer
I don’t have anything useful to add to the overall discussion. The idea of harassment and abuse is completely unacceptable to me and I want it to be prevented whenever possible and punished when it occurs.

I am bothered by Frog God Games in this situation. I have supported their products. I have backed their kickstarters. It is not an exaggeration to say that I have hundreds of dollars of their material. I do not accept a reprimand towards Mr. Webb as sufficient in this case. I understand and appreciate the careful tact that the company took in dealing with the issue and respect Mr. Fitch’s response. I do not need to hear a public statement from Mr. Webb, but I do want to hear from the company that Mr. Webb is undergoing some form of official harrassment training from an organization or official not connected to FGG as well as some form of treatment for his drinking.

I understand and appreciate the need for privacy and respect for the victim. I do not believe that a statement of remorse along with a list of the steps being taken to prevent the situation from recurring would violate the respect the victim deserves. Such a response can be presented through Mr. Fitch.

Furthermore, I believe it would be prudent of FGG to ask Mr. Webb to not attend conventions for the foreseeable future. Such an act would speak volumes towards the company’s commitment to preventing further incidents. By their now deleted social media post, the company is aware of the poor and unprofessional behavior of Mr. Webb at conventions. This matter should be addressed instead of joked about.

Until something along these lines is done, I can’t in good conscience support the company. I was very much looking forward to Rappan Athuk for 5e and had begun to save for that Kickstarter. I know I only represent a single sale, but it is the only vote I have.

Thank you to the staff at ENworld for reporting this. I do not follow other sites or Twitter and rely on this site for my rpg news. Please continue to report this story if there are any updates.

I've had a small conversation with FGG via Facebook to also let them know that I have found their response insufficient. I'll miss Matt Finch's work, as well as Zach's (I have a lot of his Lesser Gnome stuff, don't know if he's actually published via FGG yet). While I said I would like to hear from Bill himself, because from personal experience I've found that having to admit that I wronged someone can be pretty powerful and helpful for change. I also told FGG that I wouldn't be attending any Cons with Bill Webb. So far NTRPG (North Texas RPG con), a mostly OSR convention, still has Webb as a guest.

Anyway, I urge you and others bothered by this to let FGG and other conventions know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads