Pathfinder 1E INTEREST/RECRUIT - TIDERULER - THE FALL OF LAHOLT (HIGH-LEVEL CHARS)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Archon is once again swamped in student papers. Once he comes up for air, he will hopefully chime in.

Archon Basileus

First Post
OOC: I read MetaVoid comment not as call for general initiative roll, but like a way to resolve PLAYERS actions in order, but before enemy acts

Ok, I quoted [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] here so we won't clog the IC thread with rule discussion, but I'd really like to hear your opinions on this.

I understand Neurotic's interpretation, but if this was [MENTION=87106]MetaVoid[/MENTION]'s initial intention, would he still have to be concerned with enemy survivability? After all, casters would still wreck the enemies around, provided players got the chance to go first...

Either way, I feel more comfortable allowing everyone to go first, and then working enemies' actions in a comfortable, natural order. That would kill the need for initiative. Even among players, order could be decided in an optimized fashion, instead of dice-rolling. Meaning that a boost spell would probably be cast upon an ally before said ally attacks.

As for enemy survivability, it'd be easy to adapt mini-sheets to present some resistance to the ravages of a first round - something I intended to do at first during the present combat, in fact! Also, I understand that, without initiative rolls, some advantages would be less useful than they tend to be in a regular game. How do you guys feel more comfortable around this?

For now, I'll follow the given order, so we do not bring the game to a halt. But I'd love to adopt our general decision for the next battles! :)

Neurotic

In general, I think it is fair that enemies have their chance to saw chaos before we act. That said, instead of having million initiatives to track, you could only use first round init to see who goes before and who goes after enemies (who act on single initiative count). After that first round, we simply act once between any two your posts. And initiative becomes irrelevant. You simply resolve the actions as they come. If someone wants the buff, he should wait with the post until the buff is cast. Or say something OOC that he's waiting or something...

Neurotic got it right, I simply mentioned player order, not enemies. But this is definitely fairer, casters can shut-down opposing side hard if left unchecked (even if the formation is a bit loose) - i.e. fireball would't catch them, but wall of fire would

In PbP it is better to go in blocks so that DM can have one post for all enemies.

Archon Basileus

First Post
That's good to read! we're thinking in the same direction!
To be honest, anything that doesn't go in such blocks would feel to me as either unfair or impractical.

My hermeneutical powers failed me, though.... mmmmm.... :p

I am very strongly against average init for PCs. There is no point in improved initiative or any other speed optimization unless everyone or at least most of are doing it.

Let those faster than monsters have their turn, run mpnsters and then all PCs can go again.

Shayuri

First Post
Ack, did I miss a round? I thought I was last in init so I was waiting, and apparently the next round started, lol...

Sorry about that! I'll get my post up tonight!

Neurotic

You didn’t. You just need to rethink that fireball. Or drop it over the monk, she will evade it :p

Remove ads