White Wolf Unveils New Vampire Logo!

White Wolf has unveiled the new logo for the most anticipated RPG of 2018, Vampire The Masquerade 5E! "Elements of the past, present, and future combine in this new logo design by Tomas Arfert and Chris Elliott."

White Wolf has unveiled the new logo for the most anticipated RPG of 2018, Vampire The Masquerade 5E! "Elements of the past, present, and future combine in this new logo design by Tomas Arfert and Chris Elliott."

DRlUNPfUIAACmxH.jpg

Wulffolk

Explorer
I played the White Wolf games extensively for many years. In my opinion the Storyteller rules systems is much better than 5e, or any d20 rules set. I am not sure why a fan of the World of Darkness setting would ever want to play it by 5e rules. But . . . whatever. I wish them luck.

I played the White Wolf games extensively for many years. In my opinion the Storyteller rules systems is much better than 5e, or any d20 rules set. I am not sure why a fan of the World of Darkness setting would ever want to play it by 5e rules. But . . . whatever. I wish them luck.
It's funny really. I never really had a problem with the Storyteller rules myself, but then I never had qualms about tailoring rules to suit as I went along. Ken Hite, the current Vampire developer is actually one of it's biggest critics, historically. He didn't think the system was robust enough - so it'll be interesting as to how he will develop the rules himself now he's in charge.

PMárk

Explorer
It's funny really. I never really had a problem with the Storyteller rules myself, but then I never had qualms about tailoring rules to suit as I went along. Ken Hite, the current Vampire developer is actually one of it's biggest critics, historically. He didn't think the system was robust enough - so it'll be interesting as to how he will develop the rules himself now he's in charge.

Really? Didn't know that. Pretty interesting in the light of one of the main goals of V5 is to make it simpler. Fixed target number, simplified health track, one-roll combat, etc.

Well, all two playtests was basically about the new hunger mechanics. I'm pretty curious how the rest will turn out at the end, in detail.

As for the logo, I like it. Easily my favorite Vampire logo this far, the fonts are good, the proportions are good, the incorporation of the ankh is nice.

Wulffolk

Explorer
I know people like to think that the D&D edition war between 3.5e and 4e was a big deal, and I am not denying that 4e and Pathfinder fractured the D&D player-base, but what happened when White Wolf ended Vampire: the Masquerade and the OWoD to move on to Vampire: Requiem and the NWoD absolutely destroyed that game.

I loved the OWoD and bought everything they published for it (including collector editions), but when they obsoleted EVERYTHING that I had invested in I stopped buying anything new, and it seems that most of their previously loyal fans stopped as well, because the company died. I haven't looked back since, though I still have all of my old books and would be more than willing to run another game based on the old system.

Really? Didn't know that. Pretty interesting in the light of one of the main goals of V5 is to make it simpler. Fixed target number, simplified health track, one-roll combat, etc.

Well, all two playtests was basically about the new hunger mechanics. I'm pretty curious how the rest will turn out at the end, in detail.

As for the logo, I like it. Easily my favorite Vampire logo this far, the fonts are good, the proportions are good, the incorporation of the ankh is nice.

The logo is pretty good, but I can't see any sign of the red rose on marble, which may prove to be a thing of the past I guess as they always seem to use the Ankh these days instead. At least I have my early editions, although the red rose as a symbol doesn't really mean anything I guess - but it did look cool!

The system mechanics look fine to me, but I still have irritations like the re-inclusion of a Dodge skill when it's not a skill, just a manoeuvre with one functional use. Integrate it into Athletics or Brawl again, and free up a skill slot for something more broadly useful. That's a minor thing of course, but I also hope they don't revert back to nine Attributes again, although there seems to be a split in fan preferences about that.

The big major change is in the Hunger rules, and I think this is where Hite was especially critical of the more vague Humanity rules from previous. Honestly, I am ambiguous the issue but the playtest rules certainly don't put me off in this aspect. In fact the only thing I'm iffy about is the use of Virtue/Flaws instead of what I feel is the more thematic Nature/Demeanour from the previous edition (where literally everybody is doing a personal masquerade). You can actually note that much of the core mechanics are really a hybrid of Old and New WoD (which also had fixed target numbers, simplified combat etc).

For me, though, the content and setting material - as well as the art direction - will be the big seller.

PMárk

Explorer
I know people like to think that the D&D edition war between 3.5e and 4e was a big deal, and I am not denying that 4e and Pathfinder fractured the D&D player-base, but what happened when White Wolf ended Vampire: the Masquerade and the OWoD to move on to Vampire: Requiem and the NWoD absolutely destroyed that game.

Weeeeel. I always felt NWoD was WoD for people who liked the base ideas, but never really liked the implementation of WoD itself. I understand why it made sense, from WW's standpoint, but I agree, it was a BAD choice. It's a good thing Onyx Path showed us that the two universes could exist side-by-side. But yeah, back in the day, it wasn't a happy place for a lot of us. Most people I know just ignored Requiem and continued playing revised Masquerade.

Also, to give credit where its due: NWoD did built up a significant and very dedicated fanbase and it has many very good books. It just never got as big as the OWoD, for different reasons, some of them the exact same things those people liked it better. It's just telling how OWoD took back the leading position shortly after the publication of V20. I'm not saying it's the better brand, I'm saying it's unquestionably the more successful brand (especially outside the US) and yeah, that WW killed it (as it seemed) back in the day was a massive part in their ultimate demise. Hope this comeback will end up positively!

I loved the OWoD and bought everything they published for it (including collector editions), but when they obsoleted EVERYTHING that I had invested in I stopped buying anything new, and it seems that most of their previously loyal fans stopped as well, because the company died. I haven't looked back since, though I still have all of my old books and would be more than willing to run another game based on the old system.

Why not to use V20?

Also, it will be interesting to see how much of the old books will be relevant with V5.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads