D&D 5E How big does a dungeon have to be to be a megadungeon?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

I know this is a pretty subjective question, but I was wondering if there was some kind of consensus... Clearly a 5 room dungeon is not mega, and a 1000 room one definitely is, but in between...

Is it merely a question of size? Are other characteristics important?

I believe the standard definition is that a megadungeon is too large to ever be fully cleared. You can't beat it. You can just survive it.

Draegn

Explorer
The "megadungeon" in my world is more of a labyrinth with the equivalent of the Tower of Isengard at the center with the radius being twelve miles. The walls of the labyrinth are quasi intelligent to the point that they randomly rearrange themselves, regenerate damage, defend the area with magic against attackers, with the main defense being to teleport to the exact opposite side anyone that tries to fly over or tunnel under.

The entire area is considered to be a huge massive magical construct which is under study by the wizardly school of the House of the White, Grey and Black.

Henry

Autoexreginated
For me, arbitrarily speaking, more than 70 rooms/encounter areas and more than 3 levels. If either of those don’t fit, it’s merely “big”. :) more accurately, maybe it’s like the obscenity law quote - you know it when you see it?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Can you run an entire campaign without adventuring elsewhere outside the dungeon and still not find everything? If so, you have a megadungeon.

Cheers!

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Hmmm...guess my old skool upbringing is rearing it's old grizzled head again. ;) To me, a "mega-dungeon" is a dungeon that comprises at least 13 sheets of 8.5"x11" 4/inch graph paper sheets. Each sheet is a level. Each level can have any number of 'rooms', but each level should have a single over-riding theme ("The Orc Enclave", "The Corridors of the Watchers", "Caverns of the Troglodytes", "Dusty Halls of Mogg", etc). Overall, each level that has a level both above and below should have some notation as to why denizens don't go from one to the other "in general". At the bottom of the lowest level of the dungeon there should be something "Campaign Worthy". An Ancient Gold Dragon held in stasis, or a permanent Gate to Asmodeus' City, or something equally "WOW!".

That's a "mega-dungeon" to me. I know the more common idea is "a few levels with 15 to 20 rooms"...but that just seems like a dungeon. Some are small, some medium, some large, some very large; but to be "mega", each level needs to "work" with the others (the "Theme" thing)...and at the same time be more or less 'self-contained'. So, to me, the Temple of Elemental Evil is not really a mega-dungeon. I'd put it as a "medium" dungeon. If the DM adds/adapts the elemental nodes to play a more important part/link, then we hit "kinda large" dungeon. Close...but not close enough. ;)

Undermountain? Yeah, that has POTENTIAL to be a mega-dungeon; as it stands, it's just a few big-ass maps and a handful of encounters. If a DM "stocks" it, and keeps to the idea of "Themes", and adds another two or three poster-sized 'levels'...and finishes it off with some Campaign Worthy "end/bottom/conclusion-if-successful". That would be a mega-dungeon. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

the_redbeard

Explorer
Multiple Characteristic Areas - not just levels, but different themes. You should be able to realize you're in a different place.

Multiple Factions - Many dungeons are lairs. Like the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief, there's one organized force (though often with a few rogue elements). A megadungeon is different in that it is multipolar. A megadungeon has its own _politics_. Factions have grudges and alliances and different interests. You can befriend some, betray others, enlist the help of one against another, and so forth.

Exploration is an end to itself - there's more to being there than just killing things. There are wonders in the depths. Temples to Forgotten Gods, Talking Statues, underground oceans, weird portals.

Room to maneuver - partially due to multiple factions and also due to size, the explorers can find paths to other areas and are not limited to linear paths (room 1, then room 2, etc.) so they can choose which part of the dungeon to interact with. Many dungeons are effectively linear, and a megadungeon is very non-linear.

It's alive - perhaps not literally (like Eyes of the Stone Thief), but metaphorically. It changes. Empty rooms get repopulated. Other rooms become empty. The inhabitants are not static, nor are they mere re-spawns.

Not just one boss monster - levels and sections may have bosses, but just as there are multiple factions, there is more than one boss monster (usually at least.)

Hello

I know this is a pretty subjective question, but I was wondering if there was some kind of consensus... Clearly a 5 room dungeon is not mega, and a 1000 room one definitely is, but in between...

Is it merely a question of size? Are other characteristics important?

Number of game sessions your are stuck in it. Over 4, it is certainly a mega dungeon.

Remove ads