D&D 5E Is Expertise too good?

Ristamar

Adventurer
The rogue being the ultimate grappler via Expertise exclusivity is incredibly wonky from a design perspective. On that point, I wholeheartedly agree. From a practical perspective, I haven't seen it or heard of it being a game breaking problem at most tables. There are usually equally good or better options in combat, particularly at higher levels.

Ristamar

Adventurer
The revised ranger is from Unearthed Arcana, which isn't even official material. I could have been printed in XGtE, but wasn't deemed worthy (for whatever reason), just like skill feats. They are a non-issue and irrelevant to our discussion. They are even less of an issue that completely optional rules, like feats and multi-classing.

It is relevant in so far as the design team basically admitting that the ranger in the PHB as written needs reworked. It's failures as a class and the designers subsequent play test revisions are worth noting even if the alternatives are not yet official.

We know the class sucks. They knows the class sucks.

That may be a bit of hyperbole, but there's nothing useful to come from railing against the core class' poor design unless it's about fixing it moving forward.

The problem is that going by the PHB and standard point-buy, a 20th level rogue with 8 intelligence and just so happens to specialize in religion (+11 Religion) will know just as much about the part cleric's religion as the 20th level cleric with 20 intelligence (+11 Religion) ever can.

A cleric is a holy warrior, not a cloistered sage. If the Rogue's player is that interested/invested in obtaining religious knowledge, I don't see the problem. Sounds like it could be the start of a cool character concept, to be honest.

The rogue being the ultimate grappler via Expertise exclusivity is incredibly wonky from a design perspective. On that point, I wholeheartedly agree. From a practical perspective, I haven't seen it or heard of it being a game breaking problem at most tables. There are usually equally good or better options in combat, particularly at higher levels.
And I feel like the problem there may lie less in rogues being skill experts than in grappling being based on a skill.

A cleric is a holy warrior, not a cloistered sage. If the Rogue's player is that interested/invested in obtaining religious knowledge, I don't see the problem. Sounds like it could be the start of a cool character concept, to be honest.
This, sort of. PCs are assumed to be professional adventurers. They're focused on doing adventuring things. I give NPCs who are professionals in other fields expertise in those fields as a matter of course. Rogues and bards are special in that they can be adventurers and skill keep their skills competitive with professionals.

But I would like to see the option for other characters, especially wizards and clerics, to put in some effort and become experts in a skill. In other words: the skill feats.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith

What's the real benefit of having a rogue be the best grappler in the party anyway? I haven't seen one yet in any of my campaigns or one-shots.

Yaarel

He Mage
Grappling is only one example of things that can go wrong when making skill checks in the context of a combat encounter.

Please use the same math for combat and skills. For the sake of making standards of difficulty consistent, thus easier for the DM to adjudicate ACs/DCs for various challenges.

DMs who are heavy in theater of the mind, and improvisation, need math to be consistent.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I know a lot of this comes down to preference, but I often look at these sorts of examples and objections and think "Why don't I have these same issues?" For my part, I don't particularly care that the rogue is almost always successful when trying to sneak around, nor do I feel like being good at grappling "belongs" to some other class. And I certainly don't think that nothing can be hidden "ever," because you don't have a chance to notice things if you're not looking in the right place, per the rules, regardless of your expertise.

It's definitely a game-play preference. Let me try to explain it this way: setting the DC feels like a "false" activity. If the goal of the rule is auto-success/auto-failure, just make that the rule; don't make me discover that by doing math.

The auto-failure is actually much more troubling than auto-success, because it denies participation. If Expertise is in play, I have to worry about maybe setting DCs up to 30 because the Expertise guy might hit them. But what about the PCs with no chance of hitting that DC? Should I tell them not to bother rolling? (That always feels like inappropriate metagame info to me.) Auto-success as a special ability is fine because the game is chock full of auto-success already and players kind of expect that from special abilities. If Expertise isn't in play, I literally don't even consider DCs above 20, I just tell the players that approach won't work.

To be honest, the chance of success is boring to me and I don't want to spend any brainpower on it. I think RPG rules fixate on pass/fail odds-of-success mechanics because such rules are super easy to design, learn, and execute. I'd much rather spend time thinking about the consequences of success and failure. One of those outcomes is usually more interesting than the other, and often Expertise automatically picks the boring one.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It's definitely a game-play preference. Let me try to explain it this way: setting the DC feels like a "false" activity. If the goal of the rule is auto-success/auto-failure, just make that the rule; don't make me discover that by doing math.

Thanks for the response. Which rule are you referring to here just so I'm sure we're on the same page?

The auto-failure is actually much more troubling than auto-success, because it denies participation. If Expertise is in play, I have to worry about maybe setting DCs up to 30 because the Expertise guy might hit them. But what about the PCs with no chance of hitting that DC? Should I tell them not to bother rolling? (That always feels like inappropriate metagame info to me.) Auto-success as a special ability is fine because the game is chock full of auto-success already and players kind of expect that from special abilities. If Expertise isn't in play, I literally don't even consider DCs above 20, I just tell the players that approach won't work.

To be honest, the chance of success is boring to me and I don't want to spend any brainpower on it. I think RPG rules fixate on pass/fail odds-of-success mechanics because such rules are super easy to design, learn, and execute. I'd much rather spend time thinking about the consequences of success and failure. One of those outcomes is usually more interesting than the other, and often Expertise automatically picks the boring one.

A couple of follow up questions if I may to see if I'm looking at it from your perspective. Do you assign every task the players describe their characters as doing a DC and ability check? Also, do you believe it's more interesting for the PCs to fail than it is for them to succeed? Do players ask to make ability checks or choose to make them on their own in your games?

variant

Adventurer
Why do you believe you need to do that? How do you define "challenge?" Do you see it as a different concept from "difficulty?"

Also, in your games, who decides they are making an ability check, the DMs or the players? Or do the players ask with the expectation the answer will be "Yes?" Out of curiosity, as I'm trying to figure out how others play to see if certain ways of playing are more likely than others to lead to an objection to Expertise.

An obstacle is there whether it is ran into by the Rogue or another character. I don't make something easier just because some other character stumbled their way into it.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
An obstacle is there whether it is ran into by the Rogue or another character. I don't make something easier just because some other character stumbled their way into it.

Okay. Do you set the DC based on the approach the player gives to the goal? Or the obstacle has a set DC no matter what anyone does to overcome it? Will there always be a roll to overcome it?

Also, in your games, who decides they are making an ability check, the DMs or the players? Or do the players ask with the expectation the answer will be "Yes?"

Remove ads