Cha 18

AC-3
    MR standatd
    MV12 (6 in armor)
    HP 141
    AL LG

#AT 2
    by weapon +3/+7
    It's only slightly different. That's pretty darn close!

I think I would go with the fighter class and maybe the cavalier subclass. I could see several different ways of going, though.

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Quote Originally Posted by BookBarbarian View Post
    It's true. Galahad is the most pure. Just look at him in Castle Anthrax:
    I think I love you.
    Laugh BookBarbarian, Mike Myler laughed with this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Myler View Post
    Name:  1280x720-nzx.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  137.7 KB
    Laugh Mike Myler laughed with this post

Titan (Lvl 27)

What are Lancelot's Bond, Ideal and Flaw?

One interpretation: Bond: Arthure; Ideal: the Round Table; Flaw: love for Guinevere.

A different interpretation: Bond: Guinevere; Ideal: glory; Flaw: deceit of Arhur.
    XP Mike Myler gave XP for this post

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Int 13? Was he known for being smart? (I know jack about the Knights of the Round table, aside from Camelot - 'tis a silly place..)
    XP dave2008 gave XP for this post

Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold Boots View Post
    Being the best swordsman out of 13 or so folks could very well just mean that he took a feat.
    Or it could just be that he's a higher level.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhelm View Post
    Legends and Lore from 2nd edition has Lancelot's stats as such:

Str 18/00, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 18
    One of my biggest pet peeves is the extreme reverence that is given to 'named' NPCs in game products - because he's Lancelot he has to have four maxed stats and absolutely can't have any below average?

The effect of this is to put those characters on to a plane where the PCs can never match them - no matter how long they adventure for, or what they achieve, they can never match up. Well, unless the player cheat when 'rolling' his stats, of course.

I much prefer the stat array used in the OP - at least it allows for a PC to grow to that point.

(My 'favourite' example of this is Luke Skywalker from the d20 Star Wars games. Luke, as we first see him in the first film, really should be a viable starting PC. But there's no way to get from the character creation system to the stats given for him in the book. But I digress.)

Fallen paladin maybe. Can't go schtuping other people's wives.
    Surely that depends on his specific oath? And he is French...

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Quote Originally Posted by delericho View Post
    One of my biggest pet peeves is the extreme reverence that is given to 'named' NPCs in game products - because he's Lancelot he has to have four maxed stats and absolutely can't have any below average?
    I'm with you on that one. Lancelot in my mind isn't a weightlifter, or a gymnast. He's fit and athletic, but he's not Arnold Schwarzenegger or Bruce Lee; he's high level, though.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by delericho View Post

The effect of this is to put those characters on to a plane where the PCs can never match them - no matter how long they adventure for, or what they achieve, they can never match up. Well, unless the player cheat when 'rolling' his stats, of course.

I much prefer the stat array used in the OP - at least it allows for a PC to grow to that point.

(My 'favourite' example of this is Luke Skywalker from the d20 Star Wars games. Luke, as we first see him in the first film, really should be a viable starting PC. But there's no way to get from the character creation system to the stats given for him in the book. But I digress.)
    Personally, I think it comes down to context and perspective when using the source material.

So in this thread, the OP provides a version of Lancelot that's clearly inside the bounds of the game system and intended to be used as a PC or NPC from the perspective of the character being mortal, but notable.
    Then the first comparison comes from Deities and Demigods. The second from Legends & Lore

In the case of the first, well, the OP is not creating a deity or demigod. Simplistic answer, I know, but I think it pretty much rules out the comparison based on context.
    In the case of the second, the object was to place that version of Lancelot above the reach of most player characters so that no matter where you used it or in what campaign, it was special.

The problem of course is that once you do that, you encourage player stat inflation because of the "I'm playing a character that's going to eventually be like Arthur" paradigm. Once that goes too far, you get people replying to the OP with "Only XX in this stat"..

Critical thinking is really important when using supplements, and like most other threads, I'm championing some DM ownership in this regard when it comes to his or her campaign.

On the "schtuping wives" thing.. depends on whether he's lawful good or neutral good and how you feel about oaths to the church relative to the era the character was created in. Since he was clearly romance era, catholic dominant, there's a strong tendency for the nobility to doink whomever they wanted, but if you were lawful good and following catholicism, no way it's bueno.

Neutral good, - all is well. Especially in France. But you're still going to lose your social status once everyone knows you did it.. because again, it's in France. Doinking is only ok if everyone gossips about it but no one has proof.

Be well
    KB
    Last edited by Kobold Boots; Tuesday, 27th March, 2018 at 03:12 PM.

Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

Personally, I think it comes down to context and perspective when using the source material.
    True.

In the case of the first, well, the OP is not creating a deity or demigod. Simplistic answer, I know, but I think it pretty much rules out the comparison based on context.
    In the case of the second, the object was to place that version of Lancelot above the reach of most player characters so that no matter where you used it or in what campaign, it was special.
    For almost all of the mythologies included in L&L, I'd agree. In the case of the Arthurian myths (and Lankhmar in the 1st Ed Deities and Demigods), I'd argue that those should be examples of champions and so should be on a par with high-level PCs. But, of course, that's a comment on a very old book for editions long since gone, so I'll say no more.
    XP Kobold Boots gave XP for this post

5ever COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Roland was the original paladin.

Lancelot sometimes has some powers. Like in the musical Camelot.

But both he and Achilles stood out as paragons of one on one (or one on many combat). They where essentially unbeatable in melee. Not sure that these write ups really capture that.