Would a campaign set in Greyhawk...

aco175

Legend
I always viewed Greyhawk more like the default setting for playing, the original where all the stereotypes were formed. I would like to play there, but mostly play in FR since I have the books and the new edition is focused there. My games tend to be more FR based or a homebrew similar with 'standard' medieval fantasy.

I may not like a long game or series of campaigns based in other worlds like Dark Sun or Planescape, but I know many others would like this specifically. Maybe play an introductory series of games to get the feel of the players. You could play the LMoP starter set and see how everyone gets along and style of play to see if if it is even worth making your own campaign or play a published one.

My "homebrews" involve altering Greyhawk in ways that make it somewhat unrecognizable. For example, the Empire of Iuz is ruled by an "evil necromancer" who destroyed armies and raised them from the dead. The PCs discovered, about a year ago real time, that the "necromancer" is a Death Tyrant. I remade "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" into a Spelljammer Intro, which serves as the basis for the campaign. After flying around in space and harassing primitives, the PCs have returned to face the dread necromancer of Dorakaa. None of them know it's Greyhawk. I simply said, "this is based loosely on Gygax's original campaign." So far, for the player's it's been nothing but surprise and adventure. For me it's like going home again.

Tallifer

Hero
Greyhawk is generic enough for me to play almost anything in it, so I would say it would be fine by me. I prefer a campaign leaning more towards Oz, Wonderland and Narnia, and Greyhawk is more amenable to such than grittier worlds such as Dark Sun.

gingerbread-pony.jpg

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My only concern is that a DM who actively chooses Greyhawk over other settings would be more likely to be a bit more "old school" in approach than my admittedly "new school" tendencies prefer. But as long as our style preferences don't majorly clash, setting isn't really an issue for me.

akr71

Hero
Nope, not at all, but I'm old. To me Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are the 'standard' settings. Magic works as written in the rulebooks, the races and the classes are as described in the PHB. If you want to just create a character and start playing - especially with people who you don't have a lot of history with - either of these two settings is where I would want to start. Think of it as D&D Vanilla.

A few months down the road if there is a lot of discussion about 'what ifs' or pining for a particular setting then make a switch.

fjw70

Adventurer
I wouldn’t be deterred. When joining a campaig, I don’t think I ever even considered the campaign setting. The other people involved are the deciding factor to me.

I have used Greyhawk many times but don’t really follow the lore that closely. When using an established setting I tell the players to consider any indexation about the setting that didn’t come from me as rumor which may or may not be true. You can ask questions and I will give the information the character should know about the setting.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Greyhawk is far and away my personal #1. Ignore the post 1E Greyhawk Wars nonsense and use the 1983 boxed set time period.

The only 2 settings I really dislike are Eberron and Spelljammer, as they are too far from the traditional medieval style game that I prefer. I do however enjoy Dark Sun, but only really in short bursts.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Well, now that I have food and sleep under my belt, I can clearly say that... I have no idea what I was asking that question for! LOL. Perhaps I was trying to see how to maximize the number of people who would be willing to play in my game after I throw it up at the Medical Center Dragons Lair in the coming months.

One thing I've learned as a player is that it's not the world or the ruleset that sets the bar on my entertainment/enjoyment level, but the energy and pleasantness of the other players and GM/DM for the game and the adventures.

That said, I'm sticking with Greyhawk though I think, to keep it fresh for myself, that I'm going to use the Living Greyhawk book and put my 1e box set on the shelf.

Just to see. Ya know?

(Thanks everyone for the input!)

Remove ads