5E MTOF: Elves are gender-swapping reincarnates and I am on board with it
Page 1 of 38 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

MTOF: Elves are gender-swapping reincarnates and I am on board with it

Seriously. It's 2018, and I'm ready for elves that aren't just two or three familiar Tolkeinesque subraces or 1990s drow cliches. If you're chaotic good and enjoy several hundred years of youthful vigor, you're gonna want some variety, and if you were a different gender, or a tree, in your last life . . . you're just not gonna get hung up on this kinda stuff, right?

3rd Edition dragons had this stuff figured out already. Anything from an angel to a kobold, a 3rd edition dragon will shrug and say, why not? And bam, slap a half-dragon template and an ECL +2 on that baby.
    XP doctorbadwolf, flametitan, 77IM, SirGrotius, Zeromaru X and 1 others gave XP for this post
    Laugh Simonb1, MNblockhead, Dausuul laughed with this post

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

And this stuff, by the way, is why dwarves and elves don't get along. Different on not just a cultural level, but also biological and spiritual --- dwarf souls and elf souls don't operate the same.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

I have to say I dislike much of the surface elf lore in MToF. It makes elves seem like emo jerks that long for the relief that death will bring. I mean, birth is a time of sadness because it steals a soul from elf heaven? Screw that; elves are suppose to love life! The creation of new life should be the most joyous of occasions, not a pity party.

Oh, and as a grognard, elves don't have souls, they have spirits
    XP Warpiglet, Bagpuss, mrrockitt, Olrox17, Quartz and 4 others gave XP for this post
    Laugh Draegn, Gardens & Goblins, Tanin Wulf laughed with this post

Sunseeker
    The more lore WotC adds to elves, the less I listen to what WotC has to say on anything.
    XP guachi, ccs, DM Howard, CrusaderX, N/A and 3 others gave XP for this post
    Laugh Parmandur, Giltonio_Santos laughed with this post

Magsman (Lvl 14)

My first thought is how odd it is to have such an overhaul of lore at this point in the edition cycle. It would make sense to have those sort of changes at the release of 5ein 2014 (similar to the changes to monster lore in the MM), but weve gone through four years of assumptions around classic D&D lore (and discussion of said lore in the core books and previous releases). Weve seen how changes in lore can come alongside initial releases (4e being the prime example), so the sudden change in lore assumptions partway through 5e like this is odd to see, given the strong focus upon classic setting elements through the play tests and past years of releases.
    XP pukunui, mrrockitt, Ed Laprade gave XP for this post

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

I honestly can't recall having ever used the official D&D lore on any of the races in a pure, unadulterated straight-out-of-the-book fashion, at least as a DM...
    (When I'm playing a character, I mostly just use it as a reference point in order to play against the type or subvert one or more of the tropes.)
    Last edited by Mad_Jack; Friday, 25th May, 2018 at 04:29 AM.
    XP Tallifer, mrrockitt, Ed Laprade, Sebastrd gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Seriously. It's 2018, and I'm ready for elves that aren't just two or three familiar Tolkeinesque subraces or 1990s drow cliches.
    I hate to break it to you, but Tolkien's elves reincarnated too.
    XP AmerginLiath, Parmandur, mrrockitt, Seramus, Riley37 and 2 others gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

I just don't care about the lore in the new book. It reminds me of someone's homebrew campaign. Maybe if I were new to the game or we weren't drowning in lore already I'd care. If there's something specific about the races you can put it in the setting supplements that Wizard's probably won't ever do.

Sigh. I just find the supplements an unsatisfying mess.
    Last edited by guachi; Friday, 25th May, 2018 at 07:50 AM.
    XP Yaarel, pukunui, Melkor gave XP for this post
    Laugh Parmandur laughed with this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

So, how does reincarnation work with selling your soul (a la warlock)?

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherhead View Post
    So, how does reincarnation work with selling your soul (a la warlock)?
    Terms and conditions apply to elf reincarnation, a big one being the worship of Corellon. If someone else has claim on your soul, well that's just too bad. No reincarnation for you!
    Laugh Ed Laprade laughed with this post