Core Rules Alternative Cover Gift Set

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

What are the better formats? And, more to the point, how do you get D&D on those formats? Reading online doesn't cut it, because one can't always count on having an internet connection when one is out gaming. A priority app is no good, as it will expire eventually; a PDF is going to be usable for the foreseeable future.
Let's see, a better format than PDF... something that allows drag and drop copying/linking. Something that can be shared with multiple players simultaneously. Something that weighs milligrams or less. Something that does not require a subscription. Something that doesn't require an internet connection. Something I keep locally so if the provider goes out of business or changes their terms of service I can just walk away from and keep what I purchased.

Oh, you mean Fantasy Grounds modules. Nice. Glad that's the format I've bought all my 5E stuff in.

unknowable

Explorer
On the topic of PDFs, a modern PDF is quite different in options / functionality to older pdfs.

I love technology but as it is even with having D&D beyond, Fantasygrounds and every book in hard cover. I will often sit down with my tablet and read scanned pdfs of the books.
Why?
Because they are more comfortable for me to read than physical books in certain circumstances and D&D beyond sucks to read at any length beyond referencing imo. (especially if I want to list page numbers for my note taking or refer players to page numbers)

Then you get companies that do PDFs well like MCG and their books (Numenera 2 books especially, really well done PDFs)

I can access it offline, I can bookmark pages or create notes on pages themselves (great for errata or notes on connecting/related rules)

PDFs are a great option and the fact that there aren't any options to buy them has done nothing but lose WotC money, people who want to pirate have been able to pirate since the launch of 5e.
Remember that we went YEARS without beyond as well. Which was especially annoying.

darjr

I crit!
I would LOVE a good PDF of the core rules. I respect that WotC doesn’t want to sell them, no worries. D&D Beyond is good and getting better, still I’d prefer a PDF.

rknop

Adventurer
Is flat out wrong. You're attempting to strengthen your case with an absolute that is a fallacy. No point in discussing that further.

Which game company does not release their stuff as PDFs? I am not aware of any.

Suffice to say that the vast majority of them do. WOTC is an outlier by not releasing their core books as PDF, even if they are not the one and only outlier.

Another pair of fallacies,
1) you can not read a PDF on whatever device you want with whatever software you want. I can not read one using Discord nor can I read one on my microwave. Again, you are trying to strengthen your arguments with absolutes that are not true.

Oh, give me a break. This is sophistry.

You can read a PDF on whatever device that has PDF reading software (which is every modern phone, tablet, laptop, desktop) with whatever PDF reading software you want -- and, given that PDF is an open format, there is a variety of PDF reading software available on all platforms.

I had thought that those qualifiers were obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

rknop

Adventurer
Let's see, a better format than PDF... something that allows drag and drop copying/linking. Something that can be shared with multiple players simultaneously. Something that weighs milligrams or less. Something that does not require a subscription. Something that doesn't require an internet connection. Something I keep locally so if the provider goes out of business or changes their terms of service I can just walk away from and keep what I purchased.

Oh, you mean Fantasy Grounds modules. Nice. Glad that's the format I've bought all my 5E stuff in.

...which is great if you've bought Fantasy Grounds and want to use it.

If you don't want to be locked in to that one proprietary format, then it's no good. This is especially true for Fantasy Grounds if you aren't playing a VTT game.

What format that does not lock you in to a single proprietary application is there that's better than PDF?

The #3-4 RPG is Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars. There are no PDFs.

Suffice to say that the vast majority of them do. WOTC is an outlier by not releasing their core books as PDF, even if they are not the one and only outlier.
How many others release the Basic Rules for free? Have an SRD that allows 3rd Parties to make compatible content? How many have a DMsGuild that allows you to sell your fan content?

I think it’s a managerial issue blocking PDFs. I think the D&D team would do them if they had the chance.
But even if WotC did allow PDFs, I think a lot of people would just be complaining that WotC is charging $30 or whining that they should somehow be free with the purchase of a physical book.

I had thought that those qualifiers were obvious.

Thank you for proving my point. Your statements were unqualified and false as written.

...which is great if you've bought Fantasy Grounds and want to use it.

If you don't want to be locked in to that one proprietary format, then it's no good. This is especially true for Fantasy Grounds if you aren't playing a VTT game.

What format that does not lock you in to a single proprietary application is there that's better than PDF?
Buying a permanent license of FG and the 5E products on FG is cheaper (by far) than buying the books alone through your FLGS.

If your requirements/criteria for what you want are set so that only a PDF will suffice, then nothing else matters and you will never be happy with WotC. You should know by now that they have made their view of PDFs clear, and that complaining about it on any forum is futile and a waste of your time and ours.

I hope you have something else in life that can make you happy, because it won't be 5E in PDF's while 5E is the current edition.

R

RevTurkey

I’d love to see a ‘classic’ edition of 5e...maybe with black/white matt interiors...the best art from all the old editions and better binding...with orange spines. That’d be a fun set.

jasper

Rotten DM
They are and you and your wife have no taste.

I KID! I KID!

But I do really like these alternative covers--a lot. Not enough to spend $170 on in my current situation, but if I was a little more flush with funds, I would love to have these on my bookshelf.

Lucky for you, you have a choice. You can buy the standard covers, buy a digital version, or not buy at all.

Though, as I write that, I realize I'm being a bit too snarky. If you are a collector, perhaps buying alternative covers from prior editions, and are disappointed with this editions alternative covers, I can understand your disappointment. I guess I figure collectors buy them because they are less common and to be completionists, whether they like the items or not.

Anyway, each to their own. Sorry you don't like them. If someone buys you a set, I'd happily buy them from you at a discount. :)
Hmm Insult my taste will you. D20s at twenty paces at dragoncon!. Just for you I would only charger $1,700.00. Hey I got to pay for the con and my wife's bike habit.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads