How to Plant Land Mines in D&D 5e

Skywatch

First Post

Yes. I said land mines.

All you DMs and Lair Building Players, You can make land mines. (Of a sort)

Here’s How:

Step 1
Murder a poor humanoid with the spell finger of death.

Step 2
Shove a piece of gear on your new zombie. It could be a backpack full of copper pieces. (That one works particularly well)

Step 3
Cast glyph of warding and or symbol on all the gear that you can attach to the zombie. Do this while you are right within the space you want trapped (This is why a backpack of copper pieces works well)

Step 4
Wait for some unsuspecting marauder to come along and try to steal your stuff, only to have its face blown off.

Why this works:
The spells glyph of warding and symbol can’t overlap on their target. The target is what the symbol is on. Both the spell symbol and the spell glyph of warding trigger when the thing the symbol is on is moved 10ft away from the place the spell was cast on it. Make sure the zombie is commanded to stand perfectly still until it sees an adventurer/would be thief come within 11ft+the glyph of warding spell reach/the symbol spell reach.

How to use this trick:
DMs, you can use this as a trap set in place by a wizard, wizard like thing, or a bard. Those are the only classes that get the spell finger of death and symbol/glyph of warding (technically you could also have a divine soul sorcerer do this too). This trap can be anywhere from certain death (spell glyphs that do massive damage ie fireball and symbols of death) to mildly annoying (a couple explosive runes).

Alternate Ways than Finger of Death:
Finger of Death is quite powerful magic. You may wish to not expend a 7th level spell slot to place a trap on the front door of your castle while you’re away. In this case, you could have a trapdoor 10ft above interlopers’ heads, triggered to open when people get close enough, spilling death coppers everywhere.

Harzel

Adventurer
Both the spell symbol and the spell glyph of warding trigger when the thing the symbol is on is moved 10ft away from the place the spell was cast on it.

No, if the thing is moved more than 10 ft. the spell dissipates without triggering.

Also, I'm unclear on why this is better than just casting glyph on an object.

The best way to make a land mine in DnD is to bury a really, really large whale corpse, and place a sharp spike downwards that can penetrate the whale's decomposing belly when some unwitting fool steps on the spike...

#explodingwhale

#kaboom

#methane

ChameleonX

Explorer
Or, find a fire mephit and imprison it within a fire-proof bag, and bury it. Then, put a pressure plate attached to an iron spike on top. A monster steps on the plate, pushes the spike into the bag, killing the mephit and triggering it's Death Burst.😎

Oofta

Legend
Bah. You're all thinking small scale.

Imprison a Tarrasque. Have a glyph of warding with Dispel magic on it.

Bad guy opens the door, triggers the glyph. Rawr. Simple.

Dausuul

Legend
I don't get why you need the zombie. Or the copper pieces. Just stack a whole bunch of glyphs of warding and/or symbols on top of each other (I see nothing in the rules that says they can't overlap), set them to go off when a creature other than you comes within 10 feet, and put a rug over them.

ChameleonX

Explorer
I don't get why you need the zombie. Or the copper pieces. Just stack a whole bunch of glyphs of warding and/or symbols on top of each other (I see nothing in the rules that says they can't overlap), set them to go off when a creature other than you comes within 10 feet, and put a rug over them.

Now I'm thinking of rigging a whole building with GoW "demolition charges," all set to go off at the same time, and just collapse it on the bad guys.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Uh, they brought back the Gas Spore with Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (Yawning Portal). Just use those. That's what they're for.

Dausuul

Legend
Uh, they brought back the Gas Spore with Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (Yawning Portal). Just use those. That's what they're for.

As a player, I don't have ready access to gas spores.

As a DM, I will never use gas spores. The last thing I want to do is train my players to think "If we see a monster that looks way too powerful for us to handle, it's probably just a look-alike. Let's fill it full of arrows."

Remove ads