Give Me Your Dragon Heist Tips

Reynard

Legend
I am starting to run a Waterdeep: Dragon Heist campaign on New Year's Day. We are inaugurating with an all day (8 hour) session and will be playing weekly 3 hour sessions after that. We play IRL around a kitchen table, rather than using a VTT or other format. Our group has been together for a number of years and we have played through Out of the Abyss most recently and a number of other adventure paths in both PF and 5E prior to that.

I am not looking for anything specific. I would rather just hear what you have to say about your experiences running it or playing it. If you ran into trouble or found something to be really great or just wanted to tell me what accent you used for Volo, please do so. Also, if you found any particularly useful tools on the DMsGuild or elsewhere, or made some yourself, please share those too.

Thanks a bunch!

Reynard

Legend
I was hoping for more current perspectives, based on complete or near complete experiences with it. There is a whole lot of theory and unproven ideas on those early threads. I was looking for reviews too and could not find anything later than October, meaning people aren't reviewing based on actual play. Which I think is super irritating for adventures.

pukunui

Legend
I was running the autumn version, but we're giving up on it most of the way through. Just not enjoying it. Too much work for me to DM, too much railroading for the players. I think the adventure is poorly written, and I also suck at doing intrigue.

My advice would be not to bother running it, but that's probably just sour grapes. Instead I'll say just be aware that this adventure requires a lot of work to make it playable, and I'm not just talking about the built-in customization options of villain/season. Also, if you're using a physical book, be prepared to do lots of page-flipping.

Last edited:

collin

Explorer
I echo some of what Pukunui has said.

I spent almost an hour with the players before they even rolled up characters, going over some of the details and pitfalls of the possible things they might encounter, both as players and characters - basically, I managed their expectations right from the get-go, including asking if they still wanted to play the adventure after giving them somewhat general critical comments about what I noticed in reading the adventure, which they said they did still want to give it a go. Then, more than a few times during the playing of the adventure, I would take a time-out from the game and talk to them as DM to players. "Okay, at this point in the adventure, they want you or expect you to do X-Y-Z. We can do that if you want, or we can skip it and move on from there," or "I could have you fumble around and have you do X, or I can just tell you what you need to know at this point, or we can just bypass this little piece and move on." For my group, that seemed to work in terms of resolving certain odd plot-holes, although I found it rather unpleasant and unsatisfying to have to do that in the first place rather than the adventure being better written. Most of our issues were with the first 3 chapters.

I have noticed at least one of the streaming DnD groups that I have been following has been expressing frustrations with the adventure, and I am not surprised. Basically, my 3 general recommendations are:

1. Read through it VERY carefully.
2. Manage your players expectations from the beginning, letting them know there may be flaws or pitfalls inherent to the overall adventure (and they may choose not to do it, so be prepared for that)
3. Do not feel you need to play WDH straight from the book. Change it up as much as you think is necessary to make it playable.

guachi

Hero
The adventure isn't very good so I'll just echo the words of caution and suggestions given.

I think you'd be better off paying $5 per PDF of some classic modules at DMs Guild and converting them.

Mepher

Adventurer
I just completed it this week after 11 sessions. I ran "Once in Waterdeep" first and after chapter 2 I ran "Blue Alley". Those took up 3 sessions. I made my own homebrew versions of the faction quests so they weren't just BS skill checks and such like the book, and I made all 3 keys require heists or roleplay from 3 of the villain's lairs. We did a lot of heavy roleplay. Even with my enhancements the whole adventure itself only took up 6-7 of the 11 sessions. My player's had fun overall but I found the adventure quite weak on its own. It required a lot of work on my part.

Reynard

Legend
We had our first session today and played for about 7 hours. Before we even started I decided to dispense entirely with Volo's involvement, the Yawning Portal and the whole bar room brawl introduction. instead, we sat down and worked out how the PCs new each other.

Since one of the players decided his former street urchin was making a living tending bar at a place called the Fishwife, I decided to make that place the center of the campaign. The other players would be regulars or other employees of the bar, and we ended up with an angry street preacher cleric that harangues folks as they come in or stagger out, a disgraced noble's son working as a bouncer at the place, a half-drow sorcerer with a taste for human spirits and a half elf alchemist selling powders and tinctures in the neighborhood. (This last character also has my favorite background for his class: he is a barbarian, but in play the rage is actually sort of "hulking out" due to an alchemical accident.)

Since the bar was already in place, I also dispensed with the paltry sum Volo would have paid to have the group hunt down Floon. Instead, both Floon and Renaer are regulars at the Fishwife. In fact, the Fishwife is owned by Neverember and so Renaer drinks free there. Floon is his boyfriend and hanger on, and they spend many a night getting stupidly drunk at the place. The rock gnome Dalakhar works directly for Lord Neverember and was sent to Waterdeep to keep an eye on Renaer, in the position of manager of the Fishwife.

I painted the Zhents as the clean cut but still brutal mafia and the Xanathar Guild as more of the uncouth gangbangers and cruel MS-13 types. One of the first things that happaned was a group of Xanathar Guild thugs were shaking down the flower shop owner across the street for protection money. The PCs got involved (but there was no bloodshed at the time) and made some enemies. Later that night, the gang came back and jumped the street preacher, but then fled before the party could take them out. It turned out that the next morning, after closing the place as they usually did, Floon and Renaer never made it home and were missing.

This led to the Grey Cloaks coming by and asking questions. After they left, Dalakhar ordered the PCs, since they had started the mess with the Xanathar Guild, to find the two young men before the watch did. From there, we played the warehouse and then the sewer hideout pretty straight.

Another change I made on the fly because there were some plot holes was that Floon had been originally sent to make nice with Renaer by the Zhents, but ended up really falling for him. When he realized they were going to get grabbed by the guild, he initiated the coat change that caused the mix up between the two of them, essentially sacrificing himself for Renaer.

The PCs saved them both and with that got the real skinny on what was happening. Poor Floon was sent away by Renaer, who loved him back but could not trust him, and Dalakhar left to excore renaer to Neverwinter to his father. So now the PCs are in charge of the Fishwife and have been tasked with tracking down the stone of golarr. They know what it si for and even know how much money is hidden -- but so does everyone else now.

Moving forward, I am going to alternate between some episodic local flavor adventures and events that advance the main plot as they encounter all of the factions interested in the money. I am going to play up the Grey Cloaks as always on their heels (in the end I think the main investigator character is going to be going for the hoard himself), as well as have each of the factions try and turn the party to be on their side.

I leveled them to 2nd in mid session and then made them 3rd at the end just to get to the levels I like best. they will stay at 3rd for some time. I have not decided how long to make the campaign -- I am thinking maybe a dozen sessions, but I will play it by ear.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I was too quickly dismissive of this post earlier. Thanks for pointing it out.

Someone re-evaluates their position on the internet, finds they are wrong, and corrects so others can take advantage of what they now see. That's worth XP.

Sorry for the tangent, but you've just earned the achievement "Reasonable Person" in my book.

Remove ads