D&D General 5E is the best version of D&D.

Vaalingrade

Legend
I think 5e's pretty terrible, but I also don't think it's a good thing to use Liar's Day as a platform for hurling insults.

It's also not really an April Fool's prank.

"Your mom's stupid and ugly -- APRIL FOOLS, now you can't call me out, lol!".

Oofta

Legend
Ah, the good old days. The joy of the DM smugly letting you know that you hadn't found that sword that was perfect for you because you didn't try to move the third statue on the left which would have opened the secret compartment even though you had no reason whatsoever to move any of the statues. Get attached to a character? Aww, that's too bad, you just rolled bad on a trap you had no chance to avoid or detect and now they're dead. Time to rip up that character sheet! The chuckles when that monster drains several levels that it's taken half a year to attain. Fail that saving throw vs fireball? Let's see how many items you lose! That low level wizard already cast their third spell? Time to pull out the lawn darts and be completely ineffective. But don't worry, someday you'll be powerful someday. Unless you fail that saving throw or be irrevocably turned into a statue because the DM just rolled a medusa as a random encounter. Yay. Oh the joy. :rolleyes:

Or ... you can just play the game you prefer without ridiculing different approaches to the game. Different people have different goals. There are plenty of ways of challenging players without random death around every corner, plenty of logical puzzles, conundrums, difficult choices without the TTRPG version of pixel bitching.

I genuinely do think that overall 5e is the best edition of D&D ever published, but the points raised were still pretty valid. (y)
Some are, but way exaggerated. And you can play 5e perfectly fine while assuming people use their brain.

It is just that after a week of work, some things are just annoying to track. And I envy people who still have time to check every little detail in a dungeon room for traps and treasures. We certainly don't. I'd rather progress in the story a bit more.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I think 5e's pretty terrible, but I also don't think it's a good thing to use Liar's Day as a platform for hurling insults.

It's also not really an April Fool's prank.

"Your mom's stupid and ugly -- APRIL FOOLS, now you can't call me out, lol!".

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

Sulicius

Adventurer
Edition warring under the guise of April Fool's Day. Clever?
Eh, I like the other posts more, where OP is honest about the struggle they personally have adapting to 5e.

@DarkCrisis Have fun with your players. Let go of your frustrations and lean in to the fantasy. Let me know if I can help you, for real.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Relax folks, claiming that "apples are the best!" is not an attack against oranges and grapes. Nobody is going to force-feed you strawberries, and nobody is insulting pineapples. Saying "apples are the best!" is just another way of saying "I like apples!"

Before you get your blood up, remember that "best" can mean almost anything: most fun, most enjoyable, best memories, most affordable, most available, prettiest artwork, strangest illustration of a beholder, etc. Claiming that apples are the best isn't a scientific measurement or legal judgment.

Now.

With all that said, I disagree.

The BECMI/RC edition is the best version of D&D. I could ramble on, picking fights and challenging people to change their (or my) mind, but meh. It's the one I enjoy playing the most, it's the one that I have the fondest memories of, it's the one that I own the most books for, and it's the most affordable version thanks to the availability of electronic files and print-on-demand services. So BECM is the best version of D&D because it's my favorite, and it's weird to try to convince me otherwise.

Pass the oranges.

Last edited:

Remove ads