Role-Players vs. Actors

S'mon

Legend
For me, as a player, if another player decides to go on and on in an in character conversation, I'm pretty much checked out after a pretty short time. I just don't care. Sorry, but, I don't. My gaming time is extremely limited. I get my 3 hours a week, and that's it. Spending an extended time on stuff that isn't really moving the game ahead bores me to tears.

As GM I tend to do this stuff at the very end of the session, so anyone bored can leave! :)

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
If it's in-character and has something to do with what's going on in the fiction, even if it's just a conversation with another character, I handle it by letting it go on more or less as long as it wants to. To me this sort of thing is part of the entertainment.

But if it's out-of-character e.g. a long discourse on last night's hockey game, then on we move ASAP. :)

It's not about last night's sports ball.

You see concurrently in this thread of what happens is that the other players can disconnect. I probably find it more distracting, and slightly frustrating, as it's advice to take the exact opposite tactical track or something. Then I have to guide everyone back towards what is happening.

Henry

Autoexreginated
“Roll-play versus Role-play” has always been around - this is maybe the seventh long-running thread I can remember on these forums on the topic? I feel like it’s one of those kinds of topics that absolutely NEED to get discussed if ANY group is gathering for the first time, along with things like “house rules” and “sensitive subject matter/X Cards.”

Both groups I game in enjoy a fairly large amount of role-play, to the extent that in one of my groups our last session was probably spoken half the time at the table in-character. If there is table acting, like @S’mon says, it needs to contribute to the other gamers at the table, and not be merely for personal attention - a fun back-and-forth, being ready to “lose” the exchange or have it be at your expense, or to enhance somebody else’s spotlight, and being ready to give up your spotlight when needed.

For those at the table who don’t like first-person interactions, we should be able to work with them, too - but it do try to coax a little more out of them when I DM, if nothing more than being more descriptive of the content of their words.

Remove ads