Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

• Yes! Greyhawk should be updated to the current edition.

Votes: 92 56.4%
  • No! That sounds like a terrible idea.

Votes: 40 24.5%
  • I refuse to answer polls that value my opinion.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other (will explain the comments why I can't answer yes or no to a yes or no question)

Votes: 24 14.7%

• Poll closed .

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For Greyhawk and FR, all I want to see is a tome of lore, art, maps, hooks, deep dives into locales, etc. No mechanics whatsoever unless they are edition neutral world/campaign building mechanics.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I probably lean towards no, I don't want it updated but really, I don't care either way. Greyhawk seems like a setting that would need very little work for DMs wanting to run it to update it to 5e.

Pauln6

Hero
From the article I can see that the 2e players' guide is available in digital format. That would serve as a great, crunch free, introduction to the setting. The third edition Living Greyhawk Gazetteer contained a lot of useful information, albeit I wasn't a huge fan of the population increases or excessive intermixing of the previously isolationist demi humans in large cities.

I loved the Places of Mystery articles and articles on towns and cities that had not previously been explored such as Sasserine, Hardby, Istivin, and Alhaster. The modules were OK but often failed to live up to my imagination (lacking flavour and a bit too high magic sometimes). They still serve as great bases for amendment to suit your own flavour.

Advertise the old pdfs and give us more adventures and locations I say.

Ok, let's see. For all of you who say we don't need an updated Greyhawk because we have all we need at hand. Let's put that to test.

Can you put together a list of DNDClassics products that captures the best and most interesting/useful parts of the setting? And let's have, say a $30 budget -the average price one can get a book at Amazon-. Is it doable?

You can put it all together for $0 if your alignment isn't lawful.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis

Embrace Chaotic Neutral: Just use FR resources but slap on Greyhawk names.

Anywho, to be serious, the thing with Greyhawk is it doesn't need any new rules. Its not grittier or defined by race restrictions (Let's be honest, if Greyhawk didn't have its complicated history and stayed the generic setting, it would have ended up the kitchen sink like what FR is). Adding to that (as we all know my hangup about race restrictions), its Grey-This is canonically where that alien ship in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks crashes-hawk. If you have an idea for something, its not hard to drag it in

I admit it has its odd charms but its just going to be a setting book if you update it. There's no Greyhawk only rules, no Greyhawk only creatures. Its just the setting and the team aren't just doing setting stuff at the moment

akr71

Hero
Ok, let's see. For all of you who say we don't need an updated Greyhawk because we have all we need at hand. Let's put that to test.

Can you put together a list of DNDClassics products that captures the best and most interesting/useful parts of the setting? And let's have, say a $30 budget -the average price one can get a book at Amazon-. Is it doable?

Here's another test. How many D&D players (or more specifically DM's) are there who want to run a campaign in Greyhawk that don't still have what they need from their AD&D and/or 3E days? Probably not many.

I have a hard time believing that new players would say "Please, I want Greyhawk!" Its a nostalgia thing for us old folks. On top of that, I firmly believe that Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are D&D Vanilla. All you need to run there are the 3 core books and a map.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
From the article I can see that the 2e players' guide is available in digital format. That would serve as a great, crunch free, introduction to the setting. The third edition Living Greyhawk Gazetteer contained a lot of useful information, albeit I wasn't a huge fan of the population increases or excessive intermixing of the previously isolationist demi humans in large cities.

Ok, that's $17. What other important stuff can we get get for the other 13?

I loved the Places of Mystery articles and articles on towns and cities that had not previously been explored such as Sasserine, Hardby, Istivin, and Alhaster. The modules were OK but often failed to live up to my imagination (lacking flavour and a bit too high magic sometimes). They still serve as great bases for amendment to suit your own flavour.
Cool! where can I find these articles? (Magazzine and number?)

For Greyhawk and FR, all I want to see is a tome of lore, art, maps, hooks, deep dives into locales, etc. No mechanics whatsoever unless they are edition neutral world/campaign building mechanics.

Well I would love some stats for the important NPCs, and some for grey and valley elves. And we are talking about the birth world of Rary, Melf and Mordekainen, sure thre are some cool spells that haven't seen thelight in a while?

<insert witty remark>

Here's another test. How many D&D players (or more specifically DM's) are there who want to run a campaign in Greyhawk that don't still have what they need from their AD&D and/or 3E days? Probably not many.

And if you wold be kind enough to help me fnde good stuff I'd be on player /DM less in that group? n_n

I have a hard time believing that new players would say "Please, I want Greyhawk!" Its a nostalgia thing for us old folks. On top of that, I firmly believe that Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are D&D Vanilla. All you need to run there are the 3 core books and a map.
Granted, but some of it is because of lack of exposure. Should Greyhawk be let to rot and die out?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases