Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

• Yes! Greyhawk should be updated to the current edition.

Votes: 92 56.4%
  • No! That sounds like a terrible idea.

Votes: 40 24.5%
  • I refuse to answer polls that value my opinion.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other (will explain the comments why I can't answer yes or no to a yes or no question)

Votes: 24 14.7%

• Poll closed .

gyor

Legend
I know this is going to be unpopular, but given how connected FR and Greyhawk have become, I'd like to see Greyhawks time line advanced like FRs, so they can properly remain in synch.

I know this is going to be unpopular, but given how connected FR and Greyhawk have become, I'd like to see Greyhawks time line advanced like FRs, so they can properly remain in synch.

I see no reason why the timeline should advance at the same rate in Greyhawk as the Forgotten Realms. The timeline of Narnia advances far faster than the timeline in our world.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Serious question: what exactly needs to be updated or converted that someone can't do themselves if they own the original material? Is there something specific about this particular setting, one that has been considered the "default setting" for more than one edition of the game, that would warrant a full hard cover release? What could possibly be holding anyone back?

No.

They just need to release the ‘83 World of Greyhawk book as Print on Demand. That’s alll you need. There is literally nothing in that which needs to be mechanically updated to be usable.

No.

They just need to release the ‘83 World of Greyhawk book as Print on Demand. That’s alll you need. There is literally nothing in that which needs to be mechanically updated to be usable.

Completely agree. Indeed I wonder why they haven't done so already. Do they not fully own the copywrite? Or do they want to repurpose Greyhawk for something else? D&D Grimdark perhaps?

Completely agree. Indeed I wonder why they haven't done so already. Do they not fully own the copywrite? Or do they want to repurpose Greyhawk for something else? D&D Grimdark perhaps?
They release new PoD books every week or so. They’re just slowly going through the back catalogue as it takes time to update files and order proofs.
Especially for releasing a box as a softcover book.

But the earlier folio is available.

Have you checked what makes the original series set in Greyhawk? 1 sentence (again if you believe what you read on the internet). My point is that it is no more less set in Greyhawk than the original.

Stripping exactly what campaign specific-details from Saltmarsh? Reading the text of U1, the campaign-specific details amount precisely to:

"On the WORLD OF GREYHAWK map, Saltmarsh is placed in the southernmost part of Keoland, at the western edge of hex U4/123" on page 3.
The appearance of two books by Tenser and one by Nystul on page 7.

And that is it. Tenser and Nystul could have copies of their books on many D&D worlds, given the widespread knowledge of their spells. And the fact that the town is in Keoland is completely irrelevant to the story, as absolutely nothing Keoland-specific is ever brought up in the module. It could be any country, anywhere, as far as the module is concerned.

So, both of your responses to the statement that they don't really do anything with Greyhawk and set everything in FR is that the module they're only just now reprinting was originally only minimally located in Greyhawk and, at best, remains equally minimally Greyhawk? Wow, WotC's really jumping into the deep end with both feet here!

Using your logic, "Keoland" is just the name of a country. If anything is completely interchangeable between campaign settings, the country names have to be pretty near the top of the list. They could search and replace "Keoland" with "Amn", "Tethyr", or "Cormyr" and that would be the extent of the changes they'd have to make to move it to FR.

Exactly how many campaign settings have you read that have detailed notes about the culture, population, demographics, imports/exports, geographic features, rulers, alignment, history, deities, locations, etc. of a sea itself? Not the cities that surround it. The sea itself. In my experience there's usually a blurb that says if it's fresh or salt water, what lives in the sea, and then merely describes it as a path for commerce and transportation. If we were to take our map of Toril and pluck out "Inner Sea" and replace it with "Nyr Dyv", what does that actually change? Now what happens when you pluck out Waterdeep and replace it with Greyhawk, populace and all?

I don't think I like the idea that every setting needs to advance their timeline between 119 and 133 years, reflecting the passage of time between the 3e & 2e Forgotten Realms (when the other campaign settings would have last been published) and the current FR date. It's just easier to assume time passes differently in the different lands. If you even want to set a campaign in the "present".

dave2008

Legend
So, both of your responses to the statement that they don't really do anything with Greyhawk and set everything in FR is that the module they're only just now reprinting was originally only minimally located in Greyhawk and, at best, remains equally minimally Greyhawk? Wow, WotC's really jumping into the deep end with both feet here!

This is not a Greyhawk setting book, but it is set in Greyhawk. That is all that is relevant for this discussion IMO. WotC has really no need to jump into the deep end with GH. At most I would expect a treatment similar to Eberron. I think they have a lot more to gain with that approach than "jumping into the deep end with both feet..."

Personally, I don't really care much about Greyhawk, or Forgotten Realms, or any of the D&D settings. I don't use them. However, I would like to see them on the DMsGuild so that I can write up some articles for the various gods and epic monsters and sell them on the Guild!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases