Questions to DMs about how they use the Roper monster ...

Nickolaidas

Explorer
1) How many tendrils do you let it regenerate on the beginning of its turn? One? Or all those which it lost on the PCs' turn?

2) Do you let your PCs add their athletics when attempting to break a tendril with a STR check?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
1. I just do the one. "A replacement" in context suggests just one to me and it feels fair.

2. Yes. I only call for ability checks and leave it to the players to apply whichever skill proficiency they think is appropriate, according to how they described their approach to the goal.

200orcs

First Post
I 100% do the same exact thing as [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION]

In general I try to never surprise my players with rules, only with plot twists.

2. Yes. I only call for ability checks and leave it to the players to apply whichever skill proficiency they think is appropriate, according to how they described their approach to the goal.

I always, always, always give a powerlifting/crossfit description for how I lift, bend, or break anything because my DM seems to forget that "athletics" is a skill and will ask for a straight up strength check for anything athletic.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I always, always, always give a powerlifting/crossfit description for how I lift, bend, or break anything because my DM seems to forget that "athletics" is a skill and will ask for a straight up strength check for anything athletic.

Sorry, man - that's frustrating. Have some XP. :)

Shiroiken

Legend
2) Do you let your PCs add their athletics when attempting to break a tendril with a STR check?
As a rule of thumb, most Str checks required by monsters and traps should probably apply athletics IMO, since technique actually matters for a lot of Str based activities. Same is true for Dex and Acrobatics.

Remove ads