Netflix's Love Death and Robots

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
The trailer doesn't do it justice. Also it's labeled for mature audiences so I didn't post it here.

I'm only 4 episodes in, and am blown away. Sonnie's Edge and Suits are just amazing. 18 episodes, all 8-20 minutes long.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Too many of them are pretty much made to please the male gaze or stroke patriarchal models the right way. In that regard the series is a let down.

So far, only Yogourt stands out, althought the punk aesthetics of Sonnie's Edge sets it appart too. The reference to the deficite in Yogurt as an actual problem that can effect humanity just shows how that concept deeply penetrate pop culture and even writers like Scalzi. That is problematic too.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I liked it. Sonnie's Edge seems like a standout and probably a good choice for the first. I also like suits a lot but I am a fan of mechs.

I see a lot of cats in the different episodes. I really like that alternate China and the steam-punk automatons. An interesting take on the old world being consumed by modernization.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I enjoyed it. Yes, some seemed like they were "Woo, what can we do with NSFW!" (*cough*Rift*cough*) in terms of nudity, sex, or violence, but my favorites were the ones that just told a good story without being fettered.

My favorites were Three Robots, Suits, and Sonny's Edge, in that order. The black comedy of Three Robots I don't see anyone else commenting on yet, for me that was a stand-out use of the NSFW tag that wasn't prurient or gory.

Good Hunting, Helping Hand and Zima Blue made me think and feel even if they weren't my favorites. Zima Blue could have been told without being in a NSFW collection, Helping Hand just couldn't because of the visceral nature of the subject matter. Good Hunting could have been reworked to be told SFW, but the innocent nudity and body horror was used well.

The quality varied across the collection, there were some that didn't do it for me. Still, at how short they were it was worth going through them all.

MarkB

Legend
Sonnie's Edge and Three Robots were definitely my favourite. It took me a little while to settle into Three Robots simply because I'd clicked into the series blind, and had no idea it was an anthology series. I kept waiting for something to tie it into the previous episode.

I also enjoyed Ice Age just for the wackiness and how well it was done visually, though ultimately it felt like less than the sum of its parts.

Mallus

Legend
I’ve seen Sonnie’s Edge and 3 Robots. Robots was hilarious, especially since it was treading over fairly worn ground. Edge was good, though I was surprised to find out it’s a Peter F. Hamilton story and not Richard K. Morgan.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
This was a great serues. 3 Robots was a crack up. The Witness had a twist I thought I saw coming but didn't, Suits was awesome and also not quite what I thought was happening was actually happening. Sucker of Souls had some great characters. I liked every episode actually and have been recommending the series to everyone.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
So what is the show about? Is it similar to the anime Memories where none of the stories were connected, or is it more like the Matrix animations where the stories were connected and just the art style changed every time?

Hussar

Legend
Excellent SF stories.

Although, I gotta admit, I'm not sure I "get" The Witness. I'll whack my question into spoiler tags:

[sblock]Is it a time travel story? Or are we just seeing two robots stuck in a loop? Or all the robots are stuck in a loop? I'm confused.[/sblock]

Yeah, Suits was fantastic. Sonny was great. And Three Robots made me giggle.

But, yeah, this is what SF should do - make you ask questions.

Last edited:

Remove ads