If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

Sorry but its been made pretty clear by some that there are auto-success "approaches" that dont get to character skill as part of their resolution. So, you know, if we can get to that auto-success without checking, the wizard can very well solve that trap.

there is a huge difference in that and say the way i do, using the auto-success rule from the DMG on proficiencies as a baseline for tasks/challenges that matter.

It's the DM's prerogative to adjudicate an auto-success based on the approach with the PC (and, hence, the PC's abilities) in mind. The approach is not in a vacuum. If the lock is not mundane, why would the DM grant an auto-success to the wizard when we all know he is not skilled at picking locks? No amount of "magic words" will work to get the wizard an auto-success... well, maybe the Knock spell :p ... and so, as DM, if the player said their wizard wanted to pick a difficult lock, I'd probably tell the player (as [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] said upthread): “your character knows this won’t work - you want to try something else?”

5ekyu

Hero
I haven’t seen that video.

The quality of the description isn’t relevant to the outcome.

I can’t nail down that stuff at char-gen because there are so very many variables in the instant these things come up. So I also ask for clarity. Sometimes it’s a negotiation. I may ask for one check and a player may go on to clarify why what they’re doing warrants a different check, instead.

This isn’t a problem I see in actual play ANYMORE since I started playing this way. It used to bog my 3rd ed games down to near-unplayability.

i dont remember my 3.x games having that problem, but i find it practically absent in 5e. I mean, the skills/proficiencies are pretty well divided as are the abilities so really, with the broad and failry distinct "houses" its really rare that i see someone call for a check that is inappropriate to their task - especially after i cover some of the edge cases in that session zero thingy.

That may be because i tend to use the variant rule where ability scores are not strictly tied to skills. maybe its because i see skills as pretty broad aptitudes and dont get into too far down in the weeds except to provide them clear divisions. i mean, to me if a player says they use dexterity acrobatics, that gives me both the nature of the effort (nimble-quick-finesse as opposed to brute force and power or others) and gives me the specific training used (balance, rolls, etc) so thats a pretty good baseline for whether or not thats gonna get them through or not or if its iffy.

Dont know, but if we got into so many issues of "but wait doesnt this do that, no it doesn't " as far as the basic functing of skills that it bogged down in play, that would be seen as a huge honking problem with the system, not the players.

i would be looking for a big major change system-wise to fix that. maybe go to the ditching skills and tools and going for ability scores and/or background level proficiencies maybe like the DMG presents instead. Hopefully we dont have that level of moment by moment confusion over even which ability score applies?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
True but i am pretty sure that guy was not a character in a fantasy rpg.
i am pretty sure most "real people" if given say magic spells and such would not choose to go off hunting dungeons of loot and monsters either if it were real life.

Oh, I agree. I was hoping the grin would make it implied, rather than typing it all out (which you did so succinctly)

Hussar

Legend
/snip

To estimate, I would say 15-25% of actions taken in game result in automatic success or automatic failure (although in the case of auto-fail I usually say “your character knows this won’t work - you want to try something else?”). The remaining 75% of actions are usually uncertain enough to require checks. However, that includes combat. Out of combat id estimate it’s closer to 50/50.

I don't play D&D to play "pass the story stick" games. If a quarter to half of player declarations bypass the mechanics, it's not a game of D&D I want to play. If I want to play pass the story stick type games, I'll play those since, well, what's the point of having all these mechanics if I'm just going to ignore them half the time?

Hussar

Legend
I'd take it one step further and say that the whole "challenge the characters, not the players" position that underpins some of the posters' arguments here is completely bogus. The player is always the one who is being challenged. And the challenge in this game is to put your character in the best position to succeed at your desired goal. The difficulty depends on your stated approach relative to the fictional situation as described by the DM. The difficulty is higher when achieving the desired goal is less likely and lower when it's more likely.

I used to make the "challenge the characters, not the players" argument back when I was playing D&D 4e more often. That argument (and I) was wrong then and it's wrong now (so I no longer make that argument). The character is not a real thing. While it's being challenged in a fictional sense - a bold adventurer confronting deadly perils - in terms of game play, it's always the player that is being challenged.

Hehe, for someone who is so insistent that they're not insisting that the other side of the fence is doing things wrong, you seem awfully insistent that we're doing things wrong. Now, apparently, we're not even capable of describing our own way of playing without being wrong. :/ :erm:

See, for us, the difficulty is the difficulty. There is NO higher or lower. And, since we're engaging the mechanics rather than gaming the DM, we're challenging the character, or rather the mechanics of the game which is what is meant by challenging the character, rather than challenging the player's ability to game the DM.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Hehe, for someone who is so insistent that they're not insisting that the other side of the fence is doing things wrong, you seem awfully insistent that we're doing things wrong. Now, apparently, we're not even capable of describing our own way of playing without being wrong. :/ :erm:

See, for us, the difficulty is the difficulty. There is NO higher or lower. And, since we're engaging the mechanics rather than gaming the DM, we're challenging the character, or rather the mechanics of the game which is what is meant by challenging the character, rather than challenging the player's ability to game the DM.

Demonstrating faults in your arguments is not the same as saying you're playing wrong.

The player is who is being challenged in a game-play sense by making choices appropriate to the situation. The character has resources that, when applied along with a goal and approach, reduce the difficulty (or perhaps increase it, if the player makes bad choices). The character is only being challenged in a fictional sense. And I've already addressed the matter of "gaming the DM" several times, which is also a bogus assertion. It does not describe a mode of play that anyone with whom you're discussing this topic engages.

Also, will I get a response to my question here or shall I give up hope that we'll find a point on which we can agree?

Bawylie

A very OK person
I don't play D&D to play "pass the story stick" games. If a quarter to half of player declarations bypass the mechanics, it's not a game of D&D I want to play. If I want to play pass the story stick type games, I'll play those since, well, what's the point of having all these mechanics if I'm just going to ignore them half the time?

I feel the same way about “everything is a check.” If nothing I can think of or do impacts the outcome of the scenario, if the majority of situations are resolved by throwing dice at something until it goes away, then I do not feel my input matters and I do not feel I am playing a game in any meaningful way.

To me, the game is playing out the scenario, not playing out the mechanics.

I think this sentiment may inform how some people felt about 4E skill challenges. Some felt that it came down to just racking up points irrespective of what was going on in the game world. While some felt the process existed independently and you hang the in-game stuff on that structure.

That may be something we’re hovering around now. How do you feel about the process of navigating scenarios via the game’s mechanics versus how you feel about navigating scenarios with your own ideas (and using the process to resolve uncertainty as warranted)?

When I introduce a new player, or invite someone, I almost always hear “but I don’t know the rules/how to play.” But I take the rules on myself. You don’t need to know them to play - you just have to be able to imagine what your character might do when put in such a scenario.

I’ve never had any success teaching a 6, 7, or 8 year old how and when to make skill checks or how the action economy works. Usually I just ask them to describe what their character is doing instead and use the rules on my side of the screen. I still have them roll the d20 and all that as normal for my game, but I do the math myself and say like “roll an 8 or higher.”

==========
Your post also makes me consider the relationship between challenge and difficulty and how that intersects with the relationship between the player’s skill and the character’s skill.

IMO we have to consider these things together and not fall on one side or the other.

Let me explain: I believe challenge (distinct from difficulty) describes a situation in which there is an objective and an obstacle to completing that objective, that the outcome of the situation is not predetermined and is uncertain (could go either way, sideways, or wild), and that a player, by making decisions (for good or ill) can influence the outcome of the situation (for good or ill).

Hand-in-hand with that, I believe difficulty is a numeric measure of how hard (or easy) something is to accomplish.

A straightforward challenge might be difficult by virtue of the task itself (jump a 45’ gap). And a hard challenge might likewise contain many easy obstacles but still be daunting (defend Helm’s Deep from basic orcs for 2 days until Gandalf shows up with Reinforcements).

Then you have this idea like “but my character is better than I am” at whatever. Stronger, smarter, something. So they would be able to do these things even if I can’t. We let the strong characters roll to lift heavy gates, why not let the smart characters roll to overcome puzzles or riddles? Fair enough, right? But that’s where we need to look at these another way. The decision to lift the gate is a player decision but the actual lift is the character’s skill. The decision how to engage the puzzle belongs to the player while the intelligence of the character is matched against the difficulty of the riddle.

So I think I come down here: I write challenges for the players to overcome, but the numeric difficulty of those challenges is measured against the character’s’ skills.

Like above, I don’t concern the kids with the difficulty just the challenge. For adults it’s more of a mix. Adults have more patience and can get into difficulty in a way kids tend not to enjoy. Like mustard or hot sauce.

I’m pretty sure I have to reject “challenge the character not the player” or vice versa. Probably a proper scenario contains a challenge whose outcome is influenced by a player’s decisions and whose difficulties are surmounted by the character’s stats/rolls, whatever.

Surprise, bawylie finds another middle path!

G

Guest 6801328

I'll agree that even when you're "challenging the character" you're still challenging the player, just in a different way.

So it comes down to, in a really coarse sense: do you challenge the player's ability to remember rules, or do you challenge their ability to narrate creative solutions?

@Hussar says he doesn't want to advantage some players over others, because it's all about the characters, but doesn't his version of "challenge the characters" advantage those who are good at memorizing rules?

Or did I just repeat what @Bawylie was saying?

Oofta

Legend
To expand on that: the "describe how" method is based on "character skill". The player with the Wizard PC, for example, is less likely to describe how they are going to pick the lock if that is not something they are skilled in. The player with the Rogue PC will gladly describe how they are picking the lock because that is based on a skill proficiency they have. It's a recipe for more success if you describe actions that your PC is good at.

That's probably not really what you are getting at, but I didn't want that point lost.

I see the contrast as "player describes how" vs "player just rolls ability check" -- both rely on character skill, the former chooses to be more narrative about it up front.

This is another head scratcher for me. If Bob the locksmith is a wizard* picking a lock he can probably describe it a heck of a lot better than Sue the chemist who happens to be running a rogue. It's great if Bob can be entertaining in his description but why would it matter to the outcome? The player isn't picking the lock, the PC is.

*EDIT: or maybe I just don't understand what you're getting at here.

Last edited:

Remove ads