Hobby Games Down 3% But RPGs Up 18%

ICv2 has produced some new industry figures which suggest that US and Canada hobby game sales dropped by 3% in the last year; however, the tabletop RPG category, which is the smallest subcategory of hobby games, increased by 18%.

icv2.jpg
Chart from iCv2

Of the hobby games category, 40% is collectible games, 45% is miniatures and board games, and 14% is card, dice and roleplaying games.

Roleplaying games rose from $55M in 2017 to $65M in 2018.

You can read more over on ICv2.

Joseph Nardo

Explorer
Well, it matches the numbers I posted earlier (though it's on the lower end of 65-75) independent of what their research showed. It should not be that much of a surprise to anyone.

That's still pretty decent growth and all indications are that it will continue to grow. Surprised at some of the numbers in other categories and the drop in at least one of them.

Depending on what numbers you use, that is either less than $1.50 per player (40 million player figure), less than $5 per player (15 million player figure), or more if you guestimate less players. This could indicate that better leverage of the brand could be utilized (less than $1.50 per player means that not a ton of accessories are being bought) which means with better marketing and usage of the brand there is a HUGE potential for exponential growth. OR, with a lower number it could indicate that it's about even where each group is probably buying around one or two of the accessories per year ($5 per player) most likely. OR, if there are less players than that it could speak of an enthusiastic customer base that has many of the players buying at least one accessory per year plus a growth in regards to how many are buying rulebooks and additional rulebooks. This also could be leveraged in growth to spark even greater sales as well.

Either way, it shows strength in the D&D sections of WotC, though it shows some concern in regards to collectible games. Hobby board games seems to also be growing and with strong growth could indicate a good area of continued expansion could also be in that area of board games.

Just some thoughts on the table posted.
I personally have spent over $5000 in the last 2 years. That includes dwarvenforge terrain, d&d related miniatures and 5 e books

cmad1977

Hero
Can’t say that my spending has gone up or down really. Maybe up a bit because I’m buying the occasional adventure when we run one(curse of Strahd now). But I acquire things slowly. I’ll be buying stuff for the next 5-10 years probably at the rate of 1-2 books a year.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Interesting to me is Hobby Games are now selling more than Comic Books. In fact Hobby Games (as a whole) are now sell 50% more than Comic Books for North America.

icv2-comichron-2017.jpg.pagespeed.ce.dSrdY_9TVR.jpg

GreyLord

Legend
[MENTION=4348]GreyLord[/MENTION]

Where do we find the player numbers figures which you place at 40 million?

It's from a recent News Article.

Taking that into account, I was comparing the different numbers we have been given and relating it to the money that the industry has been making.

As Morrus stated, the different numbers relate to America (15 mil) and supposedly the world (40 mil). I utilized those for the breakdown.

Though the profits I stated previously (65 - 75 million...I don't have a source from the internet for that figure to give out though, so nothing that I can give out to back me up on this...though I suppose the chart does a little to validate the figure on the lower end) also show that they have a great possibility to increase to even higher percentages this year getting close to what TSR was making in the early 90s (not accounting for inflation).

The year thus far shows a lot of promise (it's still early) but some individuals seem to be showing that growth is continuing to grow and maybe even spike a little more.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Interesting to me is Hobby Games are now selling more than Comic Books. In fact Hobby Games (as a whole) are now sell 50% more than Comic Books for North America.

You get more bang for you buck with games. I'm not a huge comic book fan or a collector, but I enjoy the occasional series. But the price feels too high for me for what I get. I never by physical comics any more, other than compilations of a series I really enjoy--usually Web comics, like Erfworld, Order of the Stick, Camp Wedonwantcha, and Table Titans.

Most of my comic spend is no through Amazon. I'll hear about a series like Saga or Rat Queens and I'll wait until there is a compilation book.

I would buy a lot more if the price per comic were lower. I tried a Comixology subscription, but it rarely offered the properties I was most interested in and I quickly cancelled.

Similarly, while both my boys enjoy illustrated novels and comics, only a small few are re-readable enough to be worth the cost (e.g. Bones). Luckily, we have a number of libraries nearby with a good collection of illustrated novels. But that's not making much money for the industry.

Traditional comics are competing against movies, TV series, video games, and free Web comics for our attention and entertainment dollars, but they give less bang for your buck.

Not sure what the answer it. I'm a fan of the medium, but it is the rare comic series that will get me to spend my money on it versus just about any other form of entertainment.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases