One-shot solo session ideas...

aco175

Legend
Note that solo adventures at low level have a higher probability of death than normal adventures of similar difficulty. It is very easy to 3 or 4 unlucky rolls in a row - and suddenly the 20 hp paladin goes down.

Give him a sidekick for the adventure - a healer and utility NPC (bard - trickery cleric - lots of options) that cn balance him out a bit.

I just ran an encounter with 7th level PCs and a group of 14 ghouls. It became a bit scary once 2 of the PCs were paralyzed, but they managed fine. If you are by yourself then the danger is multiplied.

GreyShrike

First Post
Well, I don't plan to use ghouls. I was thinking along the lines of the previous poster and having some skeletons, maybe some zombies (of the other unfortunates that didn't make it). I'd also planned to keep it to single monster encounters. Maybe have two monsters in milestone locations, but with smart play, he could deal with them one at a time.

I'd like to have a boss fight of sorts at the end. The end in this case is both the way out and acquiring the item.

As for concerns with allowing him to pick up a magic item on this quest, that is a non-issue. All of the players have asked if it would be possible to find a magic item early in their careers, one that would grow with them after certain milestones have been met, research conducted, that sort of thing. I agreed and told them that they would find them as it made sense in the developing story.

In this case, a change in schedule and a desire to still play, worked out pretty nicely.

So, that said, any thoughts on an end of the encounter fight?

I'd kinda also wanted to have this crypt be a sort of trap. The top level, the part that's above ground, is just a run-down crypt. Maybe fill it with a small band of kobolds/goblins. In the last room, set up on a raised platform or other decorative structure, a nice shiny sword. Fairly valuable, if only just due to materials/craftsmanship. But it's a trap! Removing it from the ceremonial stand it rests on reveals the thin wire attached to its hilt. Rumbling in the floor and the section our hapless paladin is standing on drops suddenly on one side, forming a big stone slide and down he goes. Into the real crypt. Where all the dead (undead) stuff lives.

I'd like to have the Mercenairy's adopted daughter tagging along with him through the upper portion. She knows of her father's schemes but she's too afraid to go against him. But if our hero makes a good impression, she may provide aid in some fashion even after the trap is sprung.

Lastly, once (if) he makes it out, I plan on having her nearby and open to explaining what's really going on and asking for help in ending it. Though even if she isn't around/doesn't make it for some reason, there should be plenty of clues to spell out what's been happening.

Then it will be on our hero to confront our insane host.

Remove ads