What is missing in 5E that you had in other editions?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I also miss the AD&D multiclassing/dual classing rules. I'm playing through Icewind Dale EE (Currently doing trials of the lure master. So many beholders!) and have a human fighter/cleric that gain mastery with maces before moving to cleric and an fighter/mage/thief and I really miss these aspects of AD&D. While multiclass characters do have slower advancement, it isn't really that bad and you still remain within a couple levels until you hit around levels 10-12, although my fighter/mage/thief does have some serious issues with hit points. Doesn't help that his constitution is rubbish.

Something I don't miss is elves requiring a resurrection spell to bring back to life. That is a serious pain and probably accounts for why there aren't that many elves around because they die early and have no high level cleric to reserrect them.

Draegn

Explorer
Another thing I miss is having more than a + for having very high attribute scores. 1e have a high enough constitution and you gain regeneration, a high intelligence and you have immunity to illusions.

oreofox

Explorer
I miss the original 3rd edition damage reduction. Not so much the number before the slash, but what came after. Some monsters needing a +3 weapon to be hurt, instead of just "magic". Druids with animal companions. Odd ability scores not being useless, and the extra effects high ability scores granted (as mentioned earlier). I kinda miss skill points.

I have honestly thought of mashing all the various D&D editions together (including pathfinder), but that is more than I am honestly willing to undertake.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I miss...

*) Gaining more skills/nonweapon proficiencies as you go up in level.
*) Some of the old spells
*) Banded armor. :D
*) The races from OA.
*) Some of the old monsters
*) Some of the old settings being supported
*) AD&D-style multiclassing
*) Healing spell dealing damage to undead
*) B&W line art
*) Psionics
*) Being young.
*) Combat options like charging, disarming, sundering, etc.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Spells that were organized by class and level in the PHB

All of the dungeon and castle and world creation tables and guidelines from the 1e DMG

collin

Explorer
Basically, more abilities/feats/skills that would allow each character to be more unique and less like another. The archetypes/subclasses that 5e has helps, but it is still rather limiting, too vanilla compared what you could create in 3.x. A bard is a bard is a bard; a ranger is a ranger is a ranger. They are going to all end up being pretty similar regardless of what is chosen for an archetype/subclass because there are fewer options. IMO, in 3.x, by choosing different feats and putting points in different skills, you had more breadth along with the prestige classes to make each character different, and multi-classing was not as frowned upon as the 5e rules makes it.

Last edited:

RxDrAcula

First Post
I loved kits in 2e. The number of different variations of the basic classes was seemingly endless in that edition. Sure to a DM it could be kind of annoying if a player requested a kit in a book the DM didn't have, but as long as the DM got to read a brief description of it him/herself who cared?

For example, just a few months ago I wondered if Forgotten Realms had a kit for each individual cleric to a specific deity in 2e. I found the book for it and, sure enough, almost every single cleric to a specific deity had a distinct kit with its own unique abilities and disadvantages. I love that because inspiration could hit you to create a new character. With that new character comes not only a fresh, brand-new background and personality you hadn't considered before, but a respectable number of character mechanics differences as well.

I acknowledge that 5e has some flexibility to allow for something close, but the fact that 2e had so many different options by design (and over the course of several books) made it awesome, even if it was a bit ambitious.

Remove ads