• D&D 3E/3.5

Votes: 79 27.0%
  • D&D 4E

Votes: 73 24.9%
  • Other (not 5E)

Votes: 9 3.1%

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
I'm surprised by the results. I had honestly thought 4e would be near bottom, not in continual lead.
I suppose I was deceived by a vocal minority, I just remember seeing a lot of hate for 4e. God knows my D&D group at the time didn't care for it.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I would say 3.0/3.5

So long as I don't have to DM it again. *Shivers*

I do enjoy it as a player still. It feeds me lust for building odd and powerful characters.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm surprised by the results. I had honestly thought 4e would be near bottom, not in continual lead.
I suppose I was deceived by a vocal minority, I just remember seeing a lot of hate for 4e. God knows my D&D group at the time didn't care for it.

There's still a lot of dislike of 4e out there, and not just on the boards. Most D&D players I know on a personal level aren't fans either. But, as has been pointed out, this is a current-edition D&D-oriented board with an active group of serious 4e fans that it has had since 4e debuted. It's not that representative of gamers at large because it involves a lot of self-selection bias in its participation. If you ran the same poll on Dragonsfoot or on any other OSR-oriented site, I expect you'd see the numbers change significantly because of the exact same sort of bias.

HJFudge

Explorer
I'll just take this opportunity to chime in with 4e being my favorite D&D Edition.

Though I will say this: The group you game with and your Dungeon Master has far more impact on your enjoyment of the game than the edition you play. My favorite groups I've gamed with could run my LEAST favorite D&D system and I'd still enjoy it. Whereas I've seen groups who could be playing my 'perfect system' and I'd not have a lick of fun.

As a DM and a player, however, 4e just provided the type of rules I liked. Balanced play at the table combined with every class feeling interested and engaged and able to contribute...not just to combat, but to exploration and interaction with the world. Right now, I'm a player in a 5E campaign and...well, it's alright. I can basically tune out for most of the battles and chime in on my turn to cast my spell. I don't really have to think or engage. To me, that is a negative but I know a lot of people feel that this is a positive thing. For non-combat, well its a new DM and they are still trying to figure out how to do things. I'm supporting them because they are my friend. I will say that 5th Edition is probably a good 'beginner' system of D&D, and easy for new DMs to start with.

Personally, my next campaign I'm starting as a DM is going to be 13th Age (it actually kicks off thursday!), which I've mostly switched to nowadays instead of D&D. If it wasnt an online campaign, I'd probably do 4th Edition. Ironically, I find 4E doesn't really translate well into an online format, and instead works best at an actual table.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So .... would a virtual warlord work for you? :)
'Cuz I'll sign that petition.
Really, the difference between a TTRPG and VR is the price of the visor. The former uses OEM wetware that is rarely un-bundled, the latter's an add-on hardware peripheral.

(We all come with an imagination is what I'm say'n.)

Personally, my next campaign I'm starting as a DM is going to be 13th Age (it actually kicks off thursday!), which I've mostly switched to nowadays instead of D&D.
13A is quite a good system for what it tries to do. It copes with the varying resource mix needed to evoke D&D feel by locking down recharge times to encounters and a 1/4 encounter 'full heal up.' Clever. And it's just loaded with fun writing, neat twists on familiar ideas, and … well, if non-D&D games were included in a poll like this, it'd certainly deserve to make a showing.
If it wasnt an online campaign, I'd probably do 4th Edition. Ironically, I find 4E doesn't really translate well into an online format, and instead works best at an actual table.
Hey, that actually /is/ ironic.

Next thing y'know, someone'll use 'moot' correctly.

HJFudge

Explorer
13A is quite a good system for what it tries to do. It copes with the varying resource mix needed to evoke D&D feel by locking down recharge times to encounters and a 1/4 encounter 'full heal up.' Clever. And it's just loaded with fun writing, neat twists on familiar ideas, and … well, if non-D&D games were included in a poll like this, it'd certainly deserve to make a showing.

Not to derail things too far, but yes. 13th Age is, for me, a more narrative version of D&D and it shares a lot of the bones of 4th Editions combat rules/design decisions...as well as cutting out a lot of the bloat 4E had at later stages. It isn't a "perfect system" and I'd say its harder to run, since it requires a great ability to improvise as well as greater buy in than D&D from your players to help share some of the narrative responsibility.

But...I like it. Which really is all that matters :)

When it comes to which edition is 'most popular/sells most'...well, remember: The twilight series is always going to outsell something like 'The First Law' by Joe Abercrombie. Does that make Twilight a better novel series?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, isn't it really a contronym at this point?
I don't think so …
what I was old-man-grousing about was people saying 'mute' instead of 'moot,' not using moot to mean something like "terribly relevant, timely, & correct."

(But, hey, if I'm wrong, then your use of 'sanction' and 'cleave' to illustrate the intended meaning of contranym was totally moot.)

Remove ads