• D&D 3E/3.5

Votes: 79 27.0%
  • D&D 4E

Votes: 73 24.9%
  • Other (not 5E)

Votes: 9 3.1%

mortwatcher

Explorer
I started in 3.5E... as a fighter... needles to say, by level 5 the cleric was a better fighter than me and I'm not even gonna talk about our sorcerer. The edition was fine and I still found my niche (grappling), but I really did not feel like I contributed that much later on.

So I voted for 4E, where the classes are kinda same but fairly well balanced with their fairly well flushed roles. Yes the combat drags, but that was true for most editions I played in and I still find it enjoyable using that system from time to time.

thomkt

Explorer
Voted for 2nd Edition and it was a tough choice.

I started playing with 1st Ed but spent the most time and have the most memories 2nd Ed. Some of my best friends (still play a weekly game online with them) were made because of 2nd Ed.

I really enjoyed 3rd Ed, but in retrospect, it had too many options and I feel the difference (in character power) between somebody starting out, somebody with a bit of rules knowledge and someone with system mastery were all too great. Sure, the same can be said of pretty much any edition, but I think the gap was biggest in 3rd Ed.

4th Ed - I'm still waiting for somebody to make an X-Com style game based off the rule set. This is the edition most of my kids were introduced to, so it still gets taken out sometimes.

5th Ed - I haven't played it yet, but reading through the books and discussions here, I like what I see.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Voted for 2nd Edition and it was a tough choice.

I started playing with 1st Ed but spent the most time and have the most memories 2nd Ed. Some of my best friends (still play a weekly game online with them) were made because of 2nd Ed.

Yeah, I started with BXCMI, quickly moved over to 1e, and then 2e was released a couple years later. While we played a bit of a hybris of 1e/2e, I had to go with 2e for the poll because of the same reasons as you.

I really enjoyed 3rd Ed, but in retrospect, it had too many options and I feel the difference (in character power) between somebody starting out, somebody with a bit of rules knowledge and someone with system mastery were all too great. Sure, the same can be said of pretty much any edition, but I think the gap was biggest in 3rd Ed.

I'm of the same opinion in regards to 3.X.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Or Psionics or Artificer fans. Some of us want an Artificer who's basically just a wizard who specializes in making magic items, others want a steampunk engineer, or Johnny Sokko, or to be Q to their party's James Bond. Psionics? Magic or not? Points or slots? Should it even be a class - it wasn't in 1e!

In any group of n on-line fans of x feature in y game, you probably have x^n + n^Y + n ideas of how x should work. (It's not supposed to make sense, stop trying to evaluate it!)

So, implying y'all hafta agree, is kinda like moving the goal post on the kicker with the ball in the air … except it starts with the goal post on the moon.

4e's big numbers are mostly smoke & mirrors, anyway. You gain levels, accumulate a bunch of bonuses, and generally wind up pretty close to exactly where you're supposed to be - it amounts to a system mastery exercise that's /just/ an exercise (yeah, like a treadmill). In theory, it'd've given any 3.x system masters who actually played it something to do, without busting the game in half.
In practice, they didn't show up anyway, so lets just do BA - same window, no dressing.

Yeah, as a 4e fan, Bounded Accuracy was the thing that sold me on 5e. By the end of 4e’s life cycle, I was familiar enough with the system to recognize the artificiality of the numbers treadmill, and I kind of hated it. Bounded Accuracy, as you said, was same window, no dressing, and since I had grown to hate the dressing, it was exactly what I had been wanting.

Turgenev

Hero
I had to vote for 1e. I first started playing D&D back with BECMI but moved to 1st edition AD&D rather quickly. I didn't mind 2e but my love was for 1e (even if I various 2e stuff in my games). I stopped playing D&D back in the late 80s when Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu became my group's to-go game. 3e brought me back to D&D and I rather liked it for awhile. As a DM, I lost interest in it (and 3.5) because of the amount of work I had to do to design NPCs, monsters, etc. I ended up going back to my old school D&D roots instead. That campaign was a BECMI/1e AD&D hybrid. I checked 4e out when it was released but wasn't interested and almost passed on it. I wasn't sure about 5e at first but once I started reading it in depth, I found I rather enjoyed it.

So 1e, BECMI, and 5e are in my top three for D&D (in which order would depend on my mood at the time). 2e gets a honorary mention because of the sheer amount of material I can pillage for a 1e game.

Cheers,
Tim

Tony Vargas

Legend
I’m proposing a 5e Advanced or whatever that injects the balance and depth of 4e into the framework of 5e.
It’s an OGL project, not a GSL one.
Not a 4e a clone, but an OGL that's like 5e D&D but better?
But we already have 13th Age. ;P

I kid, but 13A did hit several of 5e's supposed goals more squarely than 5e did, supporting TotM, for instance, balancing classes with radically different resource mixes, for another, oh, and limiting the Xmass Tree effect, and mooks, and, well, more than a few, I guess.

The effect of the numbers in 4e, if you are working from the default Monster books and generally following the advice on encounter building, is that they progress the campaign through "the story of D&D".
Well sure, it was still D&D. Every edition did that, it just did it with varying degrees of effdup class balance, mechanical dysfunction, and smoke & mirrors. 4e just did it with less of the first and more of the last. I guess you could say there's a lot of valid distinctions among the various versions of the game (not just editions, but variants & such within each ed), but not so many meaningful differences.

In the classic game (the whole TSR era, so 0/1/2/B/X/Y/Z), class balance started broken, theoretically converged, briefly, in the mid single-digits, and broke again. PC/monster balance wasn't any more functional: you started with low-level frontline PCs very hard to hit for low-level monsters and low-level saving throws very hard to make, to high-level PCs easily hitting everything, high-level saves relatively easily being made by PCs & monsters, and caster power ballooning. The /numbers/ were complex: each class had it's own attack and save matrixes, with another for monsters by HD, all progressing at different rates by level, while class exp tables also varied the rate at which you gained levels by class /and level/. But, at it's core, as you went up levels, you hit a little more often per swing (and possibly swung more often), made saves more often, and you & your enemies had more hps and did more damage... but, damage from spells outpaced hp gains, while hp gains outpaced other most damage gains. It wasn't 'balanced' by any stretch, but it was messy & inconsistent enough that it was hard to concisely find "the problem" and /fix/ it.

WotC came in and 3.0 changed the dynamics. Now, everyone leveled at the same pace, PC or monster, prettymuch (a CR = Level monster by itself was meant to be a solid 'speed bump' encounter for a party of 5). But, bonuses were still different, BAB progressed at different paces, full, half- and 3/4, saves at two (slow and even slower) being completely outpaced by scaling save DCs (a profound change), PC hp gains peaked yet were outpaced by monster hp gains (monsters were calibrated as an individual threat to the party, they needed scads of hps), and skills... well, skills existed right in the core game and used a basically functional DC mechanic, which was a great leap forward for D&D, which had stubbornly resisted workable skill systems for 25 years, but they progressed at three wildly different rates - in-class, 1:1 & higher, out-of-class 1:2, and untrained: nada. The result, as with 'bad' saving throws, was stunning gulfs between 'best' and 'worst' in a party, making high-level challenges more problematic than ever (which is saying something).

At the start of the campaign, the PCs will be confronting kobolds, goblins and the like; at the end of the campaign they will be confronting ancient dragons, demon princes and the like.
Nod. And in the classic game, it'd be prettymuch up to how the DM ran things, but, in general, 1st level vs the kobolds and goblins it'd be a long slow grind of fighting, healing, fighting, resting, healing, resting, and fighting again, while at high levels it'd be a demented sort of rock/paper/scissors/wish. While in 3e it degenerated differently, with skills and conventional attacks rapidly going out of phase so that challenging one character left another non-contributing, layered self-buffing obviating that, and untouchable optimized save DCs obviating everything with a sort of rocket tag. But, in both case, in-between those level extremes there'd be a 'sweet spot,' where everyone was kinda on the same page as far as dealing with challenges (albeit in distinct ways, mainly by class) and the numbers more or less held together, with neither success nor failure seeming assured to the point of eliminating drama.

The point (and not the one I think I started out on) being, in both those broad cases and their many variations, the game played /differently/ at low level, in the sweet spot, and at high. Mind you, brutal at low level, workable through the sweet spot, and broken at high, but /different/.

In 4e, the most basic underlying mechanics - say, whether a given natural d20 result was a hit or miss, and how many hits it took to bring down the enemy - didn't vary wildly by class over levels vs same-level standard monsters. Some classes would hit a little better (like /1/ better, say, due to a martial class feature, or two or three better due to system mastery), some defenses would get neglected and you'd be hit a lot more by some attacks, but generally, pretty consistent way down at the engine of the resolution system. (Like how a engine going a certain RPM might be moving a car at 12 mph or 60, depending on which gear it's in - if all you have is a tachometer, it's the same.) So, yes, it stayed in that 'sweet spot' the whole time, but the differentiation of the phases of that "D&D story" is pushed out from those core mechanics.

Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is (obviously) an open question - eg a lot of people praise bounded accuracy because it keeps kobolds and goblins "relevant" at mid and upper levels. But I think it's clearly a thing.
The desire to keep lower level monsters relevant lies, IMHO, in the genre convention of the mighty hero or wizard laying waste to many foes. In 1e, there was a special rule that let a fighter attack 1/level/round vs less-than-1-HD monsters (so not the Orcs Gimli & Legolas were mowing through, at 1HD even). Similarly, a Wizard could fireball By the time that really became mowing, the goblins & kobolds and whatnot had ceased to be much of a threat, and rolling all those attacks or saves just seemed tedious (once the fireball did double the monsters hps, though, you didn't need to roll the saves, it was auto-death, so /that/ at least was often still done, if very quickly), so what should have been moments of awesome would be pointless, hand-waved and unsatisfying.

If you could keep the lower-level hordes meaningful, so that it'd be worth it to play through the mowing - and more exciting than literally mowing your lawn - you'd capture a genre trope and a moment of awesome that would really add to the game.

So every edition tried to do it.

And every edition failed.

But, hey, at least they failed in a variety of interesting ways, that each had their own system-mastery rewards, amusing system artifacts, moments unintended humor, and opportunities for the DM to miraculously pull a fun session out of it in spite of everything. ;)

5e BA fails (more of a partial success, really) by keeping the low-level monsters a little /too/ relevant, requiring rapid hp/dam scaling to model progression, and reverting to the save:1/2 mechanic for most AEs. So, when you have a high level party vs a horde of low-level monsters, the monsters are an overwhelming collective threat, because enough of them will be able to hit (or whatever) to pin-prick the party to death - if too many of them are left alive to act. While a top-level fighter can Action Surge and, probably hit & kill as many as 8 of the horde that first round, if that's, like, 10% of the horde, he's simply not doing the job fast enough. And, thanks to BA, he's not quite guaranteed hits. Conversely, if you can catch most/all that horde in a high-level (thus high damage) save:1/2 AE, it doesn't matter if BA lets some of them make that save, they're all dead. So the trope is finally enabled for the Gandalfs out there, but still not for the Gimlis and Legolases. (How's that different from the TRS & 3.x version, when the wizard could also just erase whole armies? Because the army is an actual threat to the wizard if he doesn't do so, post haste. That was the point.)

4e, of course, failed due to the illusion of the Treadmill, and TSR & 3.x due to lack of threat from the low-level hordes, as above.

(y'know, I think I may have slipped into a tangent or two there...)

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
@GreyLord and @CleverNickName,

You guys mean using the D&D 5e SRD to make 4e-style options and 3e-style options for D&D 5e?

I originally meant the OGL which came out with 3e/3.5 but I could look at using 5e's instead. With 5e I'm unsure if we could manipulate it to work with 4e's XP tables.

Working on a 4e OSR would mean I would want it to be able to be seamless with 4e, which would also include the XP tables for 4e. If not the XP tables, at least something that can be somewhat similar to how 4e did XP (Pathfinder seems to have a closer XP table than 3e did, and closer at lower levels than 5e does...though if the 5e SRD allows us to change the XP tables I could change the numbers to be more in accordance with 4e XP advancement).

I think I'll get a start on it and repost in a week or two with ideas and go from there. The obstacles I see before me right now would be making it so that it is a 4e clone, but not so close as to be exactly 4e because 4e never had the OGL or SRD with it (and what it did have doesn't leave a lot of area for being exactly the same, so a clone would be a clone in numbers, but not with naming conventions or anything else and have an OGL [or SRD] base).

Second obstacle is, as it will be done for free (and hopefully offered for free), I have no art budget...

And third would be how to publish it. I've published things on DMs guild before and other places, but never something like this so no idea where to get it put up and published. I don't think this would fall under the purview or rules of DMs guild and RPGnow might not be the place for it either. That means, I'm not sure where to put it or get it made available for everyone that might want it...but I'm absolutely open to suggestions.

Other than that, I think I can get a good start on it. My main objectives would be...

#1 - Make it as seamless as 4e as possible...aka...basically as close to a direct 4e clone as possible

#2 - Make it easy to use and switch between pure 4e and the 4e clone rules...ala...something like the clones are now between what they clone and the edition they cloned.

#3 - Make it easy to understand...

I figure I'll start work on it this weekend.

Yaarel

He Mage
I originally meant the OGL which came out with 3e/3.5 but I could look at using 5e's instead. With 5e I'm unsure if we could manipulate it to work with 4e's XP tables.

Working on a 4e OSR would mean I would want it to be able to be seamless with 4e, which would also include the XP tables for 4e. If not the XP tables, at least something that can be somewhat similar to how 4e did XP (Pathfinder seems to have a closer XP table than 3e did, and closer at lower levels than 5e does...though if the 5e SRD allows us to change the XP tables I could change the numbers to be more in accordance with 4e XP advancement).

Heh, personally, I dont use xp anyway. So I would ignore any xp table anyway.

On average, players level up after 8 encounters. But an encounter that turns out to be heavy might count as two or three encounters. Oppositely, an encounter that turns out to be trivial only counts as half an encounter.

Level up after the session when everybody agrees it feels right to level up.

My system is sorta like milestones. But it is even simpler. And it is more accurate because I can judge the worth of an encounter in hindsight, and dont need to depend on how much they were ‘supposed’ to get from an encounter.

In sum. Dont sweat the xp tables.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases