• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Planning a D&D editions tour

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sunless Citadel is the classic 3e adventure.

I don't know for sure if there is a 4e adventure that meets the same level of "iconicness" but wasn't there something in the core books; a mini adventure, at least, that probably most people would have tried out?

Agreed. Sunless Citadel or the follow-up Forge of Fury are the best 3e adventures in my opinion.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Madness at Gardmore Abbey is probably the best adventure for 4e, and though it's a larger adventure the way it's structured with patrons giving out quests it easily adapts to shorter form and highlights the best of 4e without being a railroad in my opinion. It has a good mix of combat, roleplaying, and skill challenges and unlike many 4e adventures is not a combat slog.
It's also pretty big, though; maybe too big for what the OP has in mind.

To the OP: are you planning to run the same characters through this series, or start fresh with each edition? I ask because if you're running the same group through them all then by the time they get to 4e they'll be way too high-level for something like Keep on the Shadowfell.

If it's the same group all the way along, slowly levelling up as they go, and if I wanted official content each time, I'd look at a sequence something like:

BX - B1 Keep on the Borderlands
1e - L1 Bone Hill
2e - ??? (the only 2e modules I'm familiar with are way too high-level for this)
3e - Forge of Fury
4e - Marauders of the Dune Sea? Or a very-stripped-down Gardmore Abbey?
5e - ??? (not sure what's out there for WotC-official standalone 5e modules that aren't a reprint of something earlier)

Jolly Ruby

Privateer
I was thinking that the OP was planning to have a night of gaming where the PCs started off at 1st level playing BX and then after a couple hours gain 2nd level and swap to 1e. Play a few hours of 1e- gain a level and now play 2e .....

That would be hard to pull off but be awesome. Maybe several nights of 3-4 blocks.
That would be hard indeed, but it's also a good idea. Maybe it could work in a "gaming weekend" in the holidays, but the whole group would have to be familiarised with every ruleset beforehand to make the switches more seamless.

JEB

Legend
OD&D: honestly, I'm skipping this one since it's really hard to run it without a retroclone, and I think using a retroclone that makes the rules coherent would defeat the purpose of playing OD&D. If someone have another idea I would be glad to know.
I just did this last weekend - it did take a lot of work to decipher and prep, but it worked out in the end. You're welcome to use my cheat sheets if you change your mind! (Though be warned I had to fill in some gaps myself.) AFAIK the only true OD&D adventure is Temple of the Frog in the Blackmoor supplement, though...

JEB

Legend
I was thinking that the OP was planning to have a night of gaming where the PCs started off at 1st level playing BX and then after a couple hours gain 2nd level and swap to 1e. Play a few hours of 1e- gain a level and now play 2e .....

That would be hard to pull off but be awesome. Maybe several nights of 3-4 blocks.
That would be cool. I briefly considered doing something like that, a dungeon with multiple editions represented, before I settled on running just OD&D (which was plenty). Besides the challenge on the DM side, you'd also be asking the players to learn slightly different rulesets every time they level...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads