2E Returning to 2nd Edition - Page 16
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920 LastLast
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
    Kobolds. Point of racial pride, really.
    Ahh, but then a Kobold lair is one of those places where PCs might reasonably expect to find a trap.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Quote Originally Posted by Giltonio_Santos View Post
    As presented in the core books, the rules for XP and advancement have the same authority as the rules that prescribe the damage of an attack with a long sword or the range of a fireball spell. DMs who choose to adapt the pace of leveling to the specific needs of their groups, in this sense, are using a house rule.
    ALL rules are house rules. The ones that are printed in books are just the ones that everybody starts with and have no greater "authority" than what the DM and players agree to give them. Whether a particular edition has ever said it in so many words or not, the printed rules are subject to change, sometimes even at the mere whim of the DM. However, just because you can doesn't mean you should, and if the players and DM disagree strongly enough on the changes a compromise needs to be found, but that still doesn't mean the printed rules have the final authority.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Zardnaar View Post
    I have but had a page of houserules and I used BAB over THACO. Dumped level limits, buffed humans kept racial and alignment restrictions.

It's better balanced than 3E and you can use it as s 2.5 or hard core OSR. And you can play the settings bas intended.

2E is the best toolbox D&D as well.
    What buffs did you give humans?

Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Man in the Funny Hat View Post
    ALL rules are house rules. The ones that are printed in books are just the ones that everybody starts with and have no greater "authority" than what the DM and players agree to give them.
    I agree with you that, in the context of a given group, the RAW have no more authority than any house rule they choose to apply to their games. Saying that all rules are house rules, though, is the strangest relativization of the concept of house rule that I've ever seen. One rule is written in the manual for general use, other is adopted by a specific group, in a specific situation, to suit their specific needs. Those are very different categories, as far as the nature of game rules matters for any discussion.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

I love the way that Dave zeb cook wrote PHB 2E. Almost everything was listed as an optional rule. You will not find an official rule for initiative. Just several different optional rules.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Just a notion, but while they might all be optional, that doesn't mean there aren't elements of internal balance. Changing random rules without some foresight and planning is like managing an acne problem with a chainsaw. Unintended consequences could be rife.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Quote Originally Posted by Salamandyr View Post
    What buffs did you give humans?
    Bonus wp, nwp plus one to ability score if their choice.
    XP Yardiff, The Old Crow gave XP for this post

Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Zardnaar View Post
    Bonus wp, nwp plus one to ability score if their choice.
    Thanks...looks like a good replacement for level limits.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris-77 View Post
    Just a notion, but while they might all be optional, that doesn't mean there aren't elements of internal balance. Changing random rules without some foresight and planning is like managing an acne problem with a chainsaw. Unintended consequences could be rife.
    Yes. 2E was an edition where it was the DMs job to bring balance to the game. Some optional rules changes the balance. 2E may not be for some people. I have no problem balancing a 2E game on the fly. But Ive been doing it for over 30 years. This was just kind of expected by my generation imho. You were supposed to customize for the type of setting or game you wanted to play.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

I've been tempted for the last couple of years to go back and completely re-read my 2E PHB and DMG. I've skimmed through them several times in the last few years, but I've considered reading through enough to play a module or two, but I haven't yet.