Missing Battle Master Manuevers

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
What basic Maneuvers would you like to see the Battle Master capable of performing that he is not currently able to. Don't worry about stepping on other classes or subclasses toes.

1. Attack an enemy that attacks an ally as a reaction.
2. Impose disadvantage on an enemy when they make an attack not targeting you (like cavalier marking)
3. Boost AC or cause disadvantage on attacks against you
4. Allow a grapple attempt as a bonus action if you hit with your attack
5. Prevent enemy from using OA on you after hitting

Is there anything else you can think of that's missing? I really think the battlemaster could have had more maneuvers that enable more different styles of fighters. There should be ones for protector fighters, defender fighters, grappling fighters, mobile fighters etc. Currently it feels like there are some major gaps in the kinds of styles you can accomplish with the maneuvers in the PHB.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What basic Maneuvers would you like to see the Battle Master capable of performing that he is not currently able to. Don't worry about stepping on other classes or subclasses toes.

1. Attack an enemy that attacks an ally as a reaction.

Sentinel feat. My fighter has this. Particularly effective feat with Polearm Master.

2. Impose disadvantage on an enemy when they make an attack not targeting you (like cavalier marking)

Goading Attack already does this.

3. Boost AC or cause disadvantage on attacks against you

This is a bard ability.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Is there anything else you can think of that's missing?
While I think maneuvers are great improvement in some areas... Ok, one area... OK, it's just the name, "exploit" was pretty lame, and cynical jargon-squating... like Tier and Core were, also, and Inspiration, in 5e.

But, less cynically:

I really think the battlemaster could have had more maneuvers that enable more different styles of fighters.
The Battlemaster essentially presents itself as a replacement for the Warlord, every 4e/E fighter but the Slayer (that's the Champion) & EK (it was a Dragon build of the Essentials Knight), and the non-casting Ranger. You're talking close to 1000 "exploits" that could be mined for maneuvers....

If... if the game could implement them as simply... if the combat sub-system left room for them to be meaningful... if they could be powered up profoundly enough to balance with casting...

... so, not really.

There should be ones for protector fighters, defender fighters, grappling fighters, mobile fighters etc. Currently it feels like there are some major gaps in the kinds of styles you can accomplish with the maneuvers in the PHB.
Its not just the maneuvers, it's the system, it bleached nuance, tactics, variation, and engagement out of all aspects of combat -except casting, of course, though, I dare say even that lost some nuance...

Yeah, I know, I prefaced that with "less cynically," sorry.

I could imagine scrapping the existing martial classes, and coming up with something more manuever-based, less tanky/DPR-grinding, with more potential ...
...But it'd have to be more over-the-top than anything 4e attempted to exist alongside 5e neo-Vancian casters...
...and it's probably mean retooling the combat sub-systems, too.

Lotta work to get a martial character I might find worth playing, when I can just play a Druid if I'm ever stuck at a 5e table on the wrong side of the DM screen.

Last edited:

I think there is room for adding new battlemaster manouvers, but probably not ones that dupicate the effects of feets or abilities of other classes.

Number 5 on the list looks like a viable suggestion.

dregntael

Explorer
Here's a list of some new maneuvers that found online and/or thought up myself some time ago. I haven't really tested any of them in play since I haven't had any battlemasters, so there may be some balance issues.

• Disorientating Attack. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to unbalance the target. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll and the creature cannot take reactions until the start of your next turn.
  • Eager advance: At the beginning of any combat in which you are not surprised you may expend a superiority die and add the rolled result to your initiative.
  • Guard: When an ally within 5 feet of you is hit by an attack, you may spend your reaction and a superiority die to deflect the blow. Your ally can add the superiority die to their AC against the attack, potentially causing it to miss.
  • Tactical repositioning: When an ally you can see hits an enemy with a weapon attack, you can spend a superiority die to move up to half your speed as a reaction. If you end your movement with the opponent within your reach, your ally can add your superiority die to the damage of his attack.
  • Shake It Off. When an ally succumbs to an affliction, your words can inspire them to fight the effect. When a friendly creature that can see and hear you has to make a saving throw, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die, allowing them to add the superiority die to their save. You can use this maneuver before or after rolling the saving throw but before any effects are applied.
  • Sprint: You can spend one superiority dice on your turn to increase your movement speed for that turn by the result of the superiority die multiplied by 5 feet.
  • Stand Tough: When you take the Dodge action, you can spend one superiority die to gain temporary hit points equal to the number you roll.
  • Backswing Attack. When you miss with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to make another attack as a bonus action. If the attack hits, you add your superiority die to the damage roll.
  • Redirect: When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can spend a superiority die to redirect the attack to another creature within 5 feet of you. You add the superiority die to the original attack roll. If the result is equal or greater than the new target’s AC, it is hit by the attack instead of you.
  • Mirror move: When you make a melee attack against a creature, you may spend a superiority die. If the attack hits, add the superiority die to the attack’s damage. Regardless of whether the attack hits, if the creature moves during its next turn you may spend your reaction to follow its movement. You may move up to your speed in this way.
  • Pinning strike: When you hit an enemy with a melee attack, you can spend one superiority die to pin the target’s position. Until the start of your next turn, the target provokes opportunity attacks from you even if it takes the disengage action, and you can add the superiority die to the damage of any opportunity attack you make against the target.
  • Warning Cry. When a friendly creature that you can see is attacked by another creature, you can expend one superiority die and use your reaction to shout a warning telling them to block or dodge. The creature must be able to see or hear you and reduces the damage by the number you rolled on your superiority die + your Intelligence modifier.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Why is it that virtually everyone ignores the part of my OP where i said don’t worry about stepping on other classes toes?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases