Breaking the Mold

ZenBear

Explorer
What are some of your favorite, effective builds that don't really fit the usual mold for the class? I personally love my heavily armored, lawful good Rogue.

VHuman Inquisitive Rogue
STR: 17 DEX: 10 CON: 14 INT: 12 WIS: 14 CHA: 8
Moderately Armored @ level 1. With scale mail and a shield your AC at level 1 is 16, higher than most Rogues with 16 DEX in leather. Pick up Heavily Armored at 4 and your AC jumps even higher, plus your STR hits 18. Take Expertise in Athletics and Shield Master at 8, now you can regularly knock your enemies prone to gain Advantage for Sneak Attack any time you don't land Insightful Fighting. Grab Sentinel at 10 and you can Sneak Attack on your Reaction. City Watch background gives you Watcher's Eye, so you can easily spot criminal dens and Thieves' Cant from Rogue lets you pick up on their coded messages. Pick up Observant and Keen Mind at higher levels to bump your INT to 14 and get all sorts of fun roleplay goodies, and either bump your STR to 20 or take Alert.

der_kluge

Adventurer
In 3e, I made a gnome cloistered cleric/bard/rogue for a PbP game. GM let me stack the cloistered cleric knowledge ability with bardic knowledge (since they are essentially the same), and I managed to work into it all the prerequisites for all the various synergy bonuses for skills. He was a complete and total skill monkey, and could essentially do anything (thought not necessarily great at any one thing) - he had a roll for every kind of situation .

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Oops thought this would be a thread about defeating Zuggtmoy :)

But on the topic, I’ve always wanted to try a bard based grappler as a luchador.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm itching to remake my 4E warlord as a Valor Bard!
Ironic. One 3.0 build I never got to use was a "backseat adventurer" - a sage, he just kibitzed from the back ranks, but it gave you bonuses. In 4e he'd've been a Tactical Warlord, in 5e I guess he's back to being a Lore Bard.

Of course, the stipulation /effective/ removes him from consideration, since he was a 3.0 bard...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases