D&D General Variant HP per HD

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
A system I haven't used, but like the sound of, would be to re-roll ALL your Hit Dice every level. If the new total is higher than the old, keep the new one. Otherwise, add 1 + your Con bonus to the old one, and take that.

That is an interesting idea. I'll have to look at some of the math behind it this weekend.

Celebrim

Legend
Good concept. What I don't like about your solution is how the variance increases as the size of the hit die increases. If you make it vary by the same 1-3 range that the d6 classes have, you'll be more fair to the classes with larger HD.

Variance increases only because larger dice already allow for higher variance. In fact, depending on how my measure it, by decreasing the variance I'm benefiting the larger die more than the smaller die that already don't have large variance. This is most easily seen in the averages.

Normal Average for d4: 2.5. Variant Average for d4: 3.5. Net +1 hit point per level.
Normal Average for d12: 6.5 Variant Average for d12: 9.5 Net +3 hit points per level.

Remove ads