D&D 5E Any news on the Eberron Hardcover books' release date?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If the WGTE “was a playtest”, wotc did something extremely dishonest with its release. You know people payed for it, right?

Certainly, but WotC was always upfront on what they were doing. Mearls even laid out their exact plans for this hardcover on Twitter as a conditional possibility. They released a portion of the book on UA the day of release, and proceeded to release the relevant playtest material for the rest of the year. They've also stated they will finalize the WGtE and enable PoD, and I see no reason to doubt they will, since the parts they are likely to repeat are all free online for everyone.

The value for the WGtE was never the material that they were making free, it's the other ~150 pages of setting and RP info from Keith Baker.

CapnZapp

Legend
I hope that it doesn’t have everything from Wayfinder’s Guide, because I’ll be very ticked off if they essentially make it so that I have to pay twice for the same stuff in order to get what’s new in this new product.
I thought this was *exactly* what will be happening..?

And you don't *have* to pay for anything. If you put up money for the Wayfarer's Guide, you did so because you wanted Early Access in unrefined form. But you could have just waited for the finalized product if you didn't like "paying twice"...

Cheers

And you don't *have* to pay for anything. If you put up money for the Wayfarer's Guide, you did so because you wanted Early Access in unrefined form. But you could have just waited for the finalized product if you didn't like "paying twice"...

Cheers

Actually, no it isn't. What was said was that the Wayfarers Guide would be updated with finalised versions of the rules, and it would supplement, rather than duplicate any potential hardback book (which wouldn't have been made had people not bought the Wayfinder's Guide).

There is no reason to suppose that plan has changed. In particular, Chapter 6, on Sharn, I would see no reason to duplicate, and at least some of the content of Chapter 2. The stuff which would be duplicated - races, dragonmarks - is available for free anyway.

As for Artificer, I suspect the reason they where trying four subclasses (more than are really needed) is so they can have at least one unique to each book.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

Cheers

It was sold as a product in itself, not as an “early access” for another product.

If all of the mechanical content is duplicated, they’re going back on that, and turning a 25$ product that was worth its price into a glorified Dragonmark article about Sharn.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It was sold as a product in itself, not as an “early access” for another product.

If all of the mechanical content is duplicated, they’re going back on that, and turning a 25$ product that was worth its price into a glorified Dragonmark article about Sharn.

They were very clear that WGtE was always intended to be a playtest for another product down the line: the material in question was made available for free as fast as possible. The remaining 150 pages may or may not be worth the money, but it is what they were selling (and they had to compensate Baker and the others involved).

I admit, I didn't buy the book because they said it was a playtest for a future book: because they were transparent about their plans.

If it makes you feel better about the new book, it will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-230 new pages, probably including a ton of monsters, using Ravnica as the basis for comparison.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Cheers

I did the latter myself: buy, yes, the product was described as a playtest, and Mearls was saying on Twitter that they were hoping to do a separate hardcover that repeated the (rather small amount of) crunch, with a different focus for the setting information. It was clear what they were doing.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
They were very clear about what they were doing. There was even discussions here about whether people would buy or wait.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
They were very clear that WGtE was always intended to be a playtest for another product down the line: the material in question was made available for free as fast as possible. The remaining 150 pages may or may not be worth the money, but it is what they were selling (and they had to compensate Baker and the others involved).

I admit, I didn't buy the book because they said it was a playtest for a future book: because they were transparent about their plans.

If it makes you feel better about the new book, it will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-230 new pages, probably including a ton of monsters, using Ravnica as the basis for comparison.

Heh, the exact reason I bought the book was to help show support for the product in the long run. I figured if they got money for the playtest material, the real deal was sure to follow, and have a much more broad-sweeping budget than they may have initially planned. Did the investment pay off individually, that is an overwhelming no - I barely used it. The 3.5 books, of which I owned everything Eberron, were just too easy to translate to 5e myself. Hopefully it will pay off overall, however.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Yeah, same. If you don’t think the product is worth the money due to its crunch content being playtest material destined for a future book, I don’t blame you. But it’s unfair to claim they were being dishonest. They were very clear about what the product was.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases