A discussion of metagame concepts in game design

Emerikol

Adventurer
If PF2 doesn't have feats as a baked-in (i.e. non-optional) part of the game I'll be very surprised, as that would be a major course change from its 3e-3.5e-PF1 lineage.
Well I wouldn't ban feats. I would ban select feats that violated my game design goals. I doubt most of them will do so. In fact I can imagine none will but that might be a little bit of a stretch.

Sometimes that's what it comes to - find a system* that kinda vaguely leans toward what you're after and just mash the hell out of it until you end up with something more or less resembling what you want.

* - given your tastes, as far as I can interpret them, you're probably looking at something like 1e D&D (or maybe early-era 2e) or an OSR retroclone as a jumping-off point.

And yes, the advantage of designing and writing for an audience of one table makes it way easier! :)

Lanefan

I like a simple system but I like lots of options. That appears to be a rare combination. I do think WOIN is great but it's not high fantasy enough to suit my fantasy gaming needs. I am thinking my next campaign could be a sci-fi N.E.W. game.

G

Guest 6801328

The overwhelming majority of the playerbase has no strong opinions on this issue, if they are even aware that such an issue exists. They'd be happy to play at his table, or your table, as long as they're having fun.

I don't think our claims are mutually exclusive.

I don't think our claims are mutually exclusive.
Maybe not. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood your point. I thought you were saying that he would find himself short on players, since so few people would want to play in that type of game. I'm just saying that, as long as he's running a game and the players are having fun, it doesn't really matter what constraints they're playing under. (Also, as long as the DM is having fun, the players mostly won't notice whether they're staying in one stance or shifting back and forth. Most players don't notice stances at all.)

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
they over think it to avoid the basic questions I've asked. All of this ridiculous navel gazing is all to avoid the questions I have asked. It's pathetic really.
Seriously? I gave XP to your OP and replied to it.

I believe that most games in the 70's and 80's were entirely actor stance.
Nonsense. Most classic D&D play is in either author or pawn stance - the player makes a decision for the PC because it will help beat the dungeon, and then there may be retroactive attribution of the relevant desire or motivation to the PC.

Actually read, or reread, pp 107-109 of Gygax's PHB. All the advice there, which is aimed at AD&D players c 1978, is about making choices that will help survive and beat the dungeon. There is absolutely nothing there about attributing a personality to the PC and then extrapolating actions and decisions from that personality (which is what actor stance involves).

Likwise with his comments about alignment, on p 35 of the PHB:

It is probable that your campaign referee will keep a graph of the drift of your character on the alignment chart. This is affected by the actions (and desires) of your character during the course of each adventure, and will be reflected on the graph. You may find that these actions are such as to cause the declared alignment to be shifted towards, or actually to, some other.​

In other words, the reason a player is given for caring about PC alignment is not because that is what is involved in being true to the PC, but because breaking alignment can bring consequences from the referee who tracks it on the graph! That is pure author stance.

If I am driving into a large city, and I start looking for a McDonalds because my knowledge of civilization is that there are McDonald's everywhere, I am absolutely in character stance. Most cities have taverns and inns in the worlds I create. Yours may vary.
I don't know what "character stance" means.

But director stance means a player establishing an element of the gameworld that is outside the influence of his/her PC. A player who says (in character) "I pick up a rock" without asking the GM "Is there a rock?" is declaring an action in director stance. That's the whole point: there is no correlation between stance and mechanics. If there was - eg if "director stance" just meant "metagame mechanics" than the terminology would be redundant and wouldn't have been invented.

My players do tend to say "Is there a tavern?" If though they said "We are going to go to the tavern" there would be an implied "if one exists". If one doesn't I will quickly tell them that they can't find one. I would never allow the to invent it with their words which would be director stance.
I already discussed this upthread.

If the GM vetoes, then the GM vetoes. But if the GM lets it pass, then the player declared an action in director stance.

Now maybe, in your game, that never happens in relation to taverns because you have every tavern in the gameworld specified ahead of time. But I would find that hard to believe for rocks.

Or if the PCs are on a wilderness expedition and a player declares "We catch a rabbit for our dinner." If the GM replies "OK, what's your hunting skill? 16, you say? OK, no worries, you catch a rabbit" - well, again, that player declared an action in director stance which brought it about that the fiction includes a rabbit being caught by the player.

I understand, in principle, your desire to avoid metagame mechanics, although I find your actual categorisation pretty weird (to me, as a long time RM player, hit points are a thousand times more metagame than second wind or action surge, which remind me quite a bit of RM adrenal moves). But your stuff about stance just implies that you don't actually get what Ron Edwards and others who coined the terminology of stance were talking about. It's not helping you explain your preference.

pemerton

Legend
Except that Gravity does not work that way! Otherwise how can Elephants walk around in Earth Gravity without having their legs crushed?
Elephants aren't bipeds, and don't have legs with the proportions of giants' legs in most fantasy.

I could give you two possible reasons why Giant Arthropods would be possible in normal Earth conditions.

Infact if you look at the fossil records then you can see that Giant Arthropods actually did exist and, if you look at Australia, continue to exist.
I live in Australi. If there are land arthropods in Australia the size of D&D giant scorpions, I've never heard of them.

Biology is not my strongest suit, but this webpage reads to me like it's pretty sensible, and it suggests that 4 kg is towards the upper size limit for a land arthropod.

G

Guest 6801328

Maybe not. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood your point. I thought you were saying that he would find himself short on players, since so few people would want to play in that type of game. I'm just saying that, as long as he's running a game and the players are having fun, it doesn't really matter what constraints they're playing under. (Also, as long as the DM is having fun, the players mostly won't notice whether they're staying in one stance or shifting back and forth. Most players don't notice stances at all.)

It's your last parenthetical point that is what I was getting at. It's not that players would refuse to play with him once they know his philosophy; most of them probably just say "Whatever, man...". I would be surprised if very many of them care whether or not they stay in actor stance, or worry if they are metagaming, etc. I know I've had loads of fun with DMs with whom I strongly disagree on philosophy. The differences very rarely have an impact on what happens at the table.

On the other hand, if he actually tried to impose his playstyle, and made players defend their decisions as character-knowledge-driven, I suspect his tables wouldn't stay full.

Likewise, if he house-ruled away all the mechanics he dislikes, he might have trouble recruiting players. Not necessarily because they disagree with him philosophically, but because they just want to play the game they know. (Well, and because if you want martial powers to be at-will, you have to either trivialize them, or massively buff everybody else. I don't think most people would enjoy the result as much as they enjoy more mainstream RPGs.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
@pemerton, [MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION]

The gravity conversation interests me if only for the two points that immediately come to mind.

1. Gravitational forces assuming 1G constant will not prevent really large things from flying given enough lift and thrust. Similarly it will not prevent large bone and muscle mass creatures from evolving given the right circumstances.

2. Whether or not something is magical or not really depends on whether or not your sensibilities allow for something to exist in a conventional physics sense or not. (e.g. This huge dragon isn't airflow optimized and his wings aren't large enough to provide lift or gliding control so it has to be magic.. )

Note that where physics ends and magic begins in any person's world is a personal thing and may actually vary depending on the subject. The huge dragon may require magic to fly (and may have learned enough to do so) whereas the smaller one may not require it to fly (and as such may have developed its own tricks instead.)

Regardless, the physics/magic answer can be determined outside of the physical examples, much like modern science finds things that are outside the realm of newtonian basics. The sky isn't blue because someone colors it in with crayons every morning..

2c
KB

Last edited:

Emerikol

Adventurer
Seriously? I gave XP to your OP and replied to it.
There are several possibilities. You aren't the target of my comment. You are but it only progressed to that point and it started out okay. When I make a general comment about the thread, I am saying something about the conversation in general. I do believe in general this thread has degenerated due to way too much hair splitting and way to much ignoring of the original question.

Nonsense. Most classic D&D play is in either author or pawn stance - the player makes a decision for the PC because it will help beat the dungeon, and then there may be retroactive attribution of the relevant desire or motivation to the PC.
Is beating the dungeon not a character motive?? In old school D&D, the most common motive was exploration and ultimately treasure seeking. My players fit that mold especially at lower levels. I always considered those motives to be entirely actor stance. They are greed adventurers seeking fame and fortune.

Actually read, or reread, pp 107-109 of Gygax's PHB. All the advice there, which is aimed at AD&D players c 1978, is about making choices that will help survive and beat the dungeon. There is absolutely nothing there about attributing a personality to the PC and then extrapolating actions and decisions from that personality (which is what actor stance involves).
Ahhh I think i see where you are going astray in all of this. I do not try to read my players minds or establish some character identity that is separate from the player. My players tended to play a braver more heroic version of themselves. Advice on surviving the dungeon though is just the sort of in game knowledge any character would want to have so I don't see that as non-actor. Ultimately it may again be the failure of existing terms and theories to fully describe my own groups style of play. That is why I gave the list of objectionable mechanics so that you could just focus on those and not worry about the underlying theory.

Likwise with his comments about alignment, on p 35 of the PHB:

It is probable that your campaign referee will keep a graph of the drift of your character on the alignment chart. This is affected by the actions (and desires) of your character during the course of each adventure, and will be reflected on the graph. You may find that these actions are such as to cause the declared alignment to be shifted towards, or actually to, some other.​

In other words, the reason a player is given for caring about PC alignment is not because that is what is involved in being true to the PC, but because breaking alignment can bring consequences from the referee who tracks it on the graph! That is pure author stance.
People care about their "changing alignment" in real life and many believe there are no consequences. Surely it is not unheard of to have a world where people are worried about the favor of the Gods and where they stand morally. Again alignment is just an abstract word for an in-world concept.

I don't know what "character stance" means.

But director stance means a player establishing an element of the gameworld that is outside the influence of his/her PC. A player who says (in character) "I pick up a rock" without asking the GM "Is there a rock?" is declaring an action in director stance. That's the whole point: there is no correlation between stance and mechanics. If there was - eg if "director stance" just meant "metagame mechanics" than the terminology would be redundant and wouldn't have been invented.

I already discussed this upthread.
I think we all don't have much debate about director stance. I don't like it and have never seen it actually played in a game so it's not a worry of mine. The DM is the only world creator in my games.

If the GM vetoes, then the GM vetoes. But if the GM lets it pass, then the player declared an action in director stance.
No. The DM checks to see if what the character said is possible. If there is no tavern then the DM says, you don't find a tavern. The DM just accepts a statement like "I go to the tavern" as "if possible or one exists then I go to the tavern" because in many instances the probability is high that one exists. Even so, my players are pretty careful and don't make any assumptions.

Now maybe, in your game, that never happens in relation to taverns because you have every tavern in the gameworld specified ahead of time. But I would find that hard to believe for rocks.
Well for rocks, I would roll based on the probability a rock exists. My players would say "can I find a rock" by the way. In a situation where I was certain rocks exists thus the chance is 100% then I'd say okay you see and pick up a rock.

Or if the PCs are on a wilderness expedition and a player declares "We catch a rabbit for our dinner." If the GM replies "OK, what's your hunting skill? 16, you say? OK, no worries, you catch a rabbit" - well, again, that player declared an action in director stance which brought it about that the fiction includes a rabbit being caught by the player.
My players would say "We will hunt for our dinner, do we get anything?" The only time it truly is director is if the GM allows a rabbit when otherwise he would not have.

I understand, in principle, your desire to avoid metagame mechanics, although I find your actual categorisation pretty weird (to me, as a long time RM player, hit points are a thousand times more metagame than second wind or action surge, which remind me quite a bit of RM adrenal moves). But your stuff about stance just implies that you don't actually get what Ron Edwards and others who coined the terminology of stance were talking about. It's not helping you explain your preference.
I think to be honest we are talking about entirely different things. Whenever I try to use a particular word, I chose metagame mainly to avoid offending, someone takes it in a different direction. The question is, do you at least know what I am talking about? The particular mechanics I listed have a commonality whatever you want to call it. Just make up a new name I don't care about terms. I only care about avoiding these types of mechanics. I don't care either to be pummeled because you think I'm inconsistent in what I like. I believe I am consistent but if you don't that is okay. I really only seek ideas for handling these sorts of mechanics. Even if I do decide 5e isn't for me I'm sure the techniques suggested could be used for another other D&D style game I might pick or even for one I might write/hack.

Emerikol

Adventurer
It's your last parenthetical point that is what I was getting at. It's not that players would refuse to play with him once they know his philosophy; most of them probably just say "Whatever, man...". I would be surprised if very many of them care whether or not they stay in actor stance, or worry if they are metagaming, etc. I know I've had loads of fun with DMs with whom I strongly disagree on philosophy. The differences very rarely have an impact on what happens at the table.

On the other hand, if he actually tried to impose his playstyle, and made players defend their decisions as character-knowledge-driven, I suspect his tables wouldn't stay full.
As a DM, I don't give the players any information that is unknown to their characters. I keep everything very tight to the chest information wise. The only conduit of information is through their characters senses and that ultimately is from the DM providing that input.

Likewise, if he house-ruled away all the mechanics he dislikes, he might have trouble recruiting players. Not necessarily because they disagree with him philosophically, but because they just want to play the game they know. (Well, and because if you want martial powers to be at-will, you have to either trivialize them, or massively buff everybody else. I don't think most people would enjoy the result as much as they enjoy more mainstream RPGs.)

Perhaps, if I were an unknown DM, I might suffer. I am not. I really put in the effort to create a deep and immersive world that is a sandbox with tons of plot lines. The world is a living world practically. So people I know have come to appreciate that effort and enjoy really well done campaigns. As a result, they would accept a D&Desq game without question. I mean I could just say 1e, 2e, or 3e (though if 1e/2e I'd choose a more updated retroclone of course). Those games at their core (not all the splat books) are satisfactory.

I've found once players start playing in a really deep and immersive world that other campaigns start feeling kind of artificial. DMs that wing it all the time are unacceptable. Now that is just my experience but it's a long time I've been playing. I'm sure across the world there are people satisfied with entirely different styles of play. Perhaps those in my area just can't do the other style as well as experts in that style can do it. I'd definitely say the same thing about my style. I hear a lot of complaints and most of the time it's inexperience and amateurism at being a good DM.

And no, I am not perfect, and no, I wasn't an "expert" at my style of play my whole life. I've learned.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases