How to make a capable druid?

Halivar

First Post
Does anybody know of any good sources where I can find suitable templates of an la +4 and lower?
IMHO the best you can find are right in the Monster Manual I, and one of the dragon magazines that presented a bunch of +4 LA half-racial templates. Take a look at the half-* templates and see what stirs your imagination. Maybe what you should do is step back from the mechanics, and come up with a metagame character concept that really draws you in.

For instance, once I made a half-fiend paladin. His story is that he was the last descendant of a paladin bastion in the Nine Hells, guarding the gate to the Prime Material Plane. Overtime, the later generations of the human paladins began to reflect the available local gene pool.. With the fall of the gate, he had to flee into the prime material plane to warn the powers there of the coming danger. But would anyone trust a man with black skin, horns, and fiery red eyes?

Another was a half-dryad mystic theurge. She was born in the winter season, and thus had white hair, porcelain skin, and cold-themed magic.

So anyhow, don't think too hard about the mechanics quite yet. First decide who you want your character to be in a roleplay sense; you're going to have to live with it for a whole campaign.

Marflarius

First Post
That's well said Halivar, I actually was doing some searches earlier and happened across a site that had templates and what their LA's were and I found a template called elder serpent that can be added to any snake like animal or magical beast, so my next step is finding a race of maybe la 1 or lower that it can be applied to, and I don't think kobold would qualify for this. So my next question is where will I find some races that I can apply this template to? I like the aspect of it and I think a serpent style druid would be a really creative and unique character among the current party!

As always feedback would be great!

Wulfgar76

First Post

Pick Druid from the PHB, gain a few levels, and watch the world cower in awe at your incredible, game-wrecking power.

:cool:

Halivar

First Post
So my next question is where will I find some races that I can apply this template to? I like the aspect of it and I think a serpent style druid would be a really creative and unique character among the current party!
Check out yuan-ti pureblood. No level adjust, and might qualify if you ask your DM. Purebloods look the most human, but are the lowest caste. They would strive to be more snake-like, and this could make for interesting roleplay.

Pick Druid from the PHB, gain a few levels, and watch the world cower in awe at your incredible, game-wrecking power.
This man speaks with words of great truthiness.

Pixie will definitely make for some interesting possibilities, particularly because Wild Shape works like Alternate Form, which means you'll still be able to use Greater Invisibility even while Wild Shaped. The bonus to mental stats is also quite significant.

Marflarius

First Post
So we had to retire our characters because, of course, the erinyes' player forced us into an unfavorable battle, which ended poorly. So now we're starting fresh from level 1, still have access to LA 4s but nothing with RHD so no pixie :/

I'm thinking about doing a VDK and need to find a suitable template that can be added to dragon and still want to make a druid so I guess now I'm just looking for a good template to add to it, since he would be a dragon type, any good suggestions? Sadly we can't use dragon magazine so I'll have to peruse around and see what I can figure out.

TrueJordan

First Post
So we had to retire our characters because, of course, the erinyes' player forced us into an unfavorable battle, which ended poorly. So now we're starting fresh from level 1, still have access to LA 4s but nothing with RHD so no pixie :/

I'm thinking about doing a VDK and need to find a suitable template that can be added to dragon and still want to make a druid so I guess now I'm just looking for a good template to add to it, since he would be a dragon type, any good suggestions? Sadly we can't use dragon magazine so I'll have to peruse around and see what I can figure out.

You can't really go wrong with human, but if you can get a +4 point buy off, I'd say do a Saint anthropomorphic Eagle (Plus so many things that are good for you, even fly a bit, I think) and that should satisfy your DM since it's 'only' a +3.
If you're looking for maximum power, go Druid 5/Planar 10/Druid 2/ Commoner 3
Choose Plane of Dreams as your chosen plane.
At level 8 (Druid 5/PS 3), you're able to turn into any monster in the game that's large and has 8HD or fewer, as long as you apply any template to turn it into a magical beast (like Shadow creature). At level 14 you can turn get all the creature's supernatural qualities/abilities by applying any template to turn them into an outsider (like half-celestial or pseudocreature for fun). At 15you can become any Huge creature with 15 HD or fewer. This isn't even taking into account the Planar Bubble which allows you to slow time down for everyone who isn't in it by 10x, as well as making any spell you cast not come off your prepared spells (as long as you don't use more than you have prepared while in the bubble.)
Equipment? Sure, if you want.
Enjoy :)

Remove ads