What is *worldbuilding* for?

pemerton

Legend
There's also dealing with divination spells like, well, divination and augury. Much easier to adjudicate those if there's something there.
This is where system matters. Fiat abilities are different from dice roll abilities: they oblige the GM to narrate something, without establshing whether it is a success or failure for the player.

Thus, they're definitely a good fit for puzzle-solving type play.

For a more character-and-theme focused game, I much prefer rolls.

She could, for example, have had the PCs at some point find a very cryptic map showing (somewhat ironically) where in the castle the map they're looking for is hidden - cryptic enough that when the sought map is found the PCs will look at this other one and say "Ahhh, that's what it was trying to show us!".

<snip>

The map certainly could be in the study - that's why we're looking for it there. But we've turned the place upside down and given it the most thorough search we can and lo and behold: no map. So we'll move on to the library and search there; then the drawing room, then the bedrooms...and if those come up dry we'll move on to less likely locations such as the wine cellar or the kitchen. Long story short, we know it's here somewhere - we just have to find it.

And who knows, on the way to finding the map we might find all kinds of other neat interesting stuff!
If there are clear win-conditions established by the game - eg collect loot, earn XP, gain levels - and if the players have clear moves that give them access to that stuff, then what you are describing is Gygaxian RPGing.

But once we have GM-seded cryptic maps that only make sense in retrospect; GM-supplied "plot hooks" like maps and the like; a setting to which the players have very limited access relative to its totality, and where the way they access it is so heavily mediated by the GM's decisions about what is or isn't important to narrate; then I'm really surprised that you can see why I regard this as very GM-driven RPGing: the goal of the players is to walk around the "board" and trigger the GM's obligation to tell them stuff.

That may be fun or not - I'm not expressing any judgement on that. I'm just trying to get the analysis clear.

pemerton

Legend
If the map is crucial to continuing the plot of the game, then give the party the dang map already. And likewise, if I'm the GM, the LAST thing I want to do is lead the players around by the nose for a session or two just because they can't seem to figure out where the next "rail" of my plot is supposed to be.
Well, personally the second thing here gives me a reason not to have the first thing - ie a "plot" to which the map (or whatever) is crucial.

If a GM's plot is so set in stone that he or she can't find reasonable options to give this information out, introduce interesting new hooks that relate to the PCs dramatic needs in play, and still keep a reasonably coherent sense for how these pieces fit together, then that's not a group I'm interested in playing in. And yeah, I'm willing to admit that that's a pretty high barrier to entry for a GM.

But the alternative is to waste my time in "GM setting tourist" campaign play
Where I would disagree with this is about barrier to entry. I actually don't think it's that hard to run a non-preauthored setting game if that's what the players want. Provided the players actually buy in (not just in abstract principle, but in the concrete details of their build and play of their PCs) then knowledge of a few trops from comics, TV shows or movies will get even a new GM a long way.

There are some "traps for new players" in at least some RPG systems - eg how do fiat spells fit into a "say 'yes' or roll the dice" game? But these abilities are notorious for causing headaches in other styles too, so it's not like the new "indie" GM is at any special disadvantage!

Of course I agree that if the GM is running "setting tourism" then it's incumbent on him/her to make sure it's a fun tour! (ie if you're going to go omnipotent GM, then go all in!) - two sessions hunting for the next map, or whatever, to get to the next interesting bit, is pretty hard to take.

pemerton

Legend
consistently referencing "Gygaxian play" as if it's something to be avoided at all costs
I've never said that. One way of reading the OP is as a hymn to Gygaxian play!

I have asked about the utility of carrying assumptions and approachs to play that make sense in Gygaxian play (eg the emphasis on maps) into other styles pf play, but that's not a criticism of Gygaxian play. It's a criticism of needless aping of it in other contexts.

I've said that I don't particularly enjoy Gygaxian play, and also that I'm bad at it both as GM and playerr (and obviously my badness at it and my lack of enjoyment of it may not be unconnected). But I haven't voiced any criticism of it. (Not enjoying something isn't criticising it. I enjoy running. My partner doesn't really care for running. That doesn't mean she thinks I'm a bad, foolish or misguided person for enjoying running.)

How can you play contemporary DnD in the spirit of classic DnD when the rules have been specifically changed to counter classic DnD play?
I'm not sure if the question is meant rhetorically or not?

I think it's very hard to play classic D&D with 4e (though I know some tried, and some of them seem to have succeeded). 3E and 5e are probably a bit more friendly towards it (eg with their action resolution mechanics), although some aspects (Perception and Diplomacy/Persuasion skills) don't help.

And you'd need to reintroduce many of the methods of classic play that these editions tend not to emphasises or even incorporate - obviously in dungeon design (which is about prep/setting design) but also in play procedures (mapping; keeping track of dungeon turns; wandering monsters as an element of generating time-based and noise/activity-based pressure; etc).

Am I talking about the right things in response to your question?

pemerton

Legend
I think it's part of presenting a more realistic and immersive situation in which not everything is handed to the PCs and in which sometimes they're flat-out going to fail - just like real life.
Again, this is a red herring. You don't need pre-authored setting for the PCs to fail.

In my 4e game, the PCs found themselves committed to sparing the cleric of Torog that they all wanted to see dead. That was a fail.

They brought ruin upon the duergar stronghold at the hands of Orcus and Pazuzu. That was a fail.

They failed to save all the prisoners of goblins that they were pledged to save - because of their cowardice, one ended up being sacrificed, before their eyes, by a cultist of Yeenoghu. That was a fail.

At least one of them is committed to ensuring that the Raven Queen does not become ruler of the cosmos. Yet nearly every action he takes helps her along that path, and he knows it. That could be a fail too.

In my Cortex+ game, the PCs first attempt to learn the source and nature of the blight falling on the land was a spectacular failure: one of them became rich by looting the drow caverns while leaving the others behind, but they learned nothing about the fate of the land. Some time later, when the two fragments of the party crossed paths again in a village under attack by raiders heralding the coming Ragnarok, they failed to save the village and ended up being left for dead by said raiders, who took all the villagers captive. That was a fail.

In my BW game, the mage PC failed to save his brother from possession by a balrog - instead his brother was assassinated before his eyes. And he then ended up in prison, where he currently still is, without any clear plan for attaining his freedom. That was a series of failures.

if the game world is inconsistent or unrealistic the players IME start to treat it as a joke.
Luckily for me, that's not a problem in my games! - either as GM, or in the ones where I'm a player. (With one exception, back in 1990, when we sacked the GM after a couple of sessions.)

with a half-decent DM the players shouldn't be able to tell the difference between prepped content and on-the-fly content. (though my questions then become 1. why are they looking for the difference, and 2. why do they care)
And why do you care?

And why does it matter if the players can tell? Which obviously they can all the time - if the game's not on rails, and if the outcomes aren't predetermined, then every time some significant thing happens, it's obvious that the GM has to generate new content.

Just thinking of a few examples from my own experience: a player has his/her PC pray for help; the prayer is answered - it seems - by a duergar peering down through a cleft in the cavern sealing, giving the signal for aid - and the PC signals back "the dues will be paid". After the immediate crisis is resolved, the PCs are now heading off in the company of the duergar to the duergar land. New content is needed.

A player decdies that his PC -having been part of a successful defeat of an Orcus cultist infiltration - is going to look for where they came from. The ranger PC helps find and follow tracks and trails, and they find the entrance to a secret lair. Which they go on to explore. New content is needed.

A player (playing his PC) persuades the group to lay-over in orbit about a world, so that his PC can look for signs of alien influence. He decides to do this by examining trinkets for sale in a market. New content is needed.

Etc, etc. New content is needed all the time. Players don't need to be very bright to work out that the new content is coming from somewhere! Maybe the GM pulls out something s/he prepared earlier and slots it in - this is where module maps, module vignettes, monster manuals, etc come in handy - or maybe the GM makes stuff up from scratch - this is where a familiarity with basic genre tropes and devices is useful.

This also reiterates the difference between prep, and (pre-)establishing a setting.

If you don't trust the DM, what's the point?
Trust the GM to do what?

I trust my BW GM to run an interesting game. What's that got to do with the point of worldbuilding? I'm sure if I wanted to play what [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION] has called a "setting tourism" game, he could do a good job of that too. But that's not what I play RPGs for.

when I sit down at a D&D table I trust that the DM is going to present an entertaining game with a consistent (or maybe a better term is reliable?) setting and that - despite occasional moments of unfairness that may be generated from either side of the screen - the game will be fair in an overall sense. I trust her to have come up with an interesting story or plot or reason for us to go adventuring.
OK - when I sit down at the BW table I trust that the GM is going to present an entertaining game with a consistent and reliable setting and that the game will be fair in an overall sense. I trust him to come up with interesting framing that will push me (as my PC) in difficult and surprising directions. Occasionally he might falter - we're all human - but most of the time he delivers.

Our contrasting preferences for RPGing don't really bear on the issue of how much either of us trusts our GMs.

pemerton

Legend
I run for a group that enjoys the tactical aspects of D&D combat.

<snip>

This puts hard limitations on the ability to 'wing it'. In playing D&D, as you've noted, stats are important. So is encounter design, lest you have boring combats or combats that are unfair to the players

<snip>

Then you have encounter maps, which are hard to do well on the fly, and the preference that encounter maps encourage dynamic fights, so they have elements that can be utilized by either side: cover, obscurement, environmental hazards, z-axis elements, etc. This is all very hard to do and provide in response to player declared actions, on the fly and without prep. So, I prep a bit.
I agree that different systems call for different amounts of prep. 4e is very prep-heavy, for instance, and so I don't run it without my Monster Manuals and other tools handy.

But this sort of prep is (or, at least, can be) distinguished from pre-authoring the setting. Intricate maps create more pressure in that respect, I agree - but (speaking just from my own experience) this is where tried-and-true methods like prepping between sessions come in handy! (Eg the players have their PCs enter the Underdark - now you draw up your Underdark encounter map.)

As to whether encounter maps are secret backstory - more on that below (in this post).

One of my DMs essentially ran this style of game behind the curtains as presented it as a secret backstory game. Essentially, he crafted a great illusion that we, as players, were finding out things he's written down, but this wasn't the truth, he adapted to player action descriptions and responded much more like a story now game than anything more traditional. He made it up on the fly, for the most part.
OK. As per my reply just upthread to [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION], I can see that this is a thing but I'm not clear why it's a good thing? (Which is not to say it's a bad thing.)

My current group has at least 2 players that would very much dislike the style of game pemerton (and others) enjoys -- they would very much dislike having to author fiction as part of their action declarations, and would feel that the world was too subject to whim to be enjoyable.
I don't know your players. I'm sure you know their tastes.

It's the description that I'm interested in.

How is "I search the study for the map - is it there?" authoring fiction as part of an action declaration?

Even if one looks at a mechanic like Circles in Burning Wheel, it can work in different ways, eg:

(1) "The head of my sorcerous cabal is Jabal the Red. I reach out to hin to see what he has to say." - fiction is authored in the action declaration.

(2) "Are there any knights of my order in these parts? I'm looking for signs of them as we travel." - no fiction is authored in the action declaration.​

This is why I take the view that the issue of player authorship of content, and the issue of "secret backstory" as a factor in resolution, are (in general) orthogonal.

A case that illustrates the contrast (and I'm basing this claim in experience) is the use of divination, knowledge skils etc. Consider "I cast object reading: what do I see?" This is a fairly common action declaration in my 4e game. It requires me to make stuff up to tell the players. (To relate this to the idea of prep - the idea that the GM has object reading notes for every item that comes up in the course of play seems absurd to me, and any player who doesn't work out that the GM is making this stuff up must be kidding him-/herself!)

In BW, that's not really a permissible action declaration, or at least is on the borderline - the player really needs at least to signal something about why s/he (as the PC) cares, or what s/he might be hoping to learn. But that's a feature of BW that depends upon its approach to backstory, but goes beyond what is merely part of that approach.

you (pemerton) keep casting the use of secret backstory in the worst light -- as a tool bluntly wielded by the DM in defiance of his players. And, you're right, it can be that. I think that's enough for you to dislike it, but it remains that the vast majority of DMs don't use it that way. They use it to build a world to be explored, which is what their players are looking for

<snip>

Further, it's not very helpful that you ignore that your chosen method does some fiat negating of actions as well -- you just hand wave that away under the guise of good play. The ray gun example is on topic, here. Declaring that you look for a ray gun in the study of a game that has the setting of Greyhawk and the genre conventions of low fantasy sword and sorcery would be negated, and also an example of play that violated the agreed social contract for the game. Well, using secret backstory in inappropriate ways to confound players is also generally viewed as poor play. Not finding the map in the study is fine, because it's in the library, and the scene that's framed isn't just the study, but the whole mansion, so the map is to be found in the scene, when the fictional positioning is good for map finding.
Obviuosly the map example is an example that serves as a simple illustration and a place holder. In real life the context of actual play is everything.

I agree with you that the scope of the scene is important - one way of trying to characterise Gygaxian play would be that the whole dungeon is the scene. (I don't know that that sheds much light, but if one is determined to analyse Gygaxian play in scene-framing terms, that would be one way to do it.) Upthread I posted the following thoughts about secret backstory and resulting "fiat" failure as an aspect of scene scope:

all action declaration in a RPG depends upon the fictional positioning of the PC - you can't say "I pick up a rock" and hope to have that action declaration succeed if your PC is not in the vicinity of some rocks; you can't say "I buy a shovel" and hope to have that action declaration succeed if your PC is not in the vicinity of some friendly purveyors of shovels; etc.

In a game run on the basis of GM pre-authorship with secret elements of the gameworld, it is possible for a player to think that the fictional positioning is appropriate for declaring some action, but in fact it is not. So the player declares the action, and perhaps the GM even allows the dice to be rolled (or rolls them behind the screen), but the check will always fail (and thus the fiction not develop in the way that the player wants) because in fact the fictional positioning was not apposite.

Now, there are borderline cases here, because "secrecy" is a matter of degree. To give a simple example, a combat encounter that starts with an invisible opponent among the visible ones will produce a moment in which the fictional positioniong turns out to be different from what a player understood it to be - eg (in some editions of D&D) s/he will declare some movement and then suffer an opportunity attack that s/he wasn't expecting. The 4e DMG's skill challenge example has a comparable non-combat example: anyone who tries to bully the duke automatically incurs a failure in the attempt to persuade him.

My own view is that if the secret is (i) within the ascertainable scope of the situation as presented to the players, and (ii) is salient within the context of gameplay, and (iii) is not overwhelming in its impact on the situation, then it's fair game. The two examples I've given satisfy (i) - you can find the invisible foe through various means including Perception checks; you can learn the duke's personality through an Insight check.

My reason for caring about (ii) - salience - is because, in practical gameplay terms, this is a major consideration for knowability. The players need to have at least some general sense of what they are expected to be looking for. I think the combat example satisfies (ii) for a default D&D game - we all know that invisible foes go with the territory. The skill challenge example is, in my view, more contentious in respect of (ii) and would depend upon how the campaign, as actually played, has presented personalities and has treated bullying as a method of persuading them.

My reason for caring about (iiI) is that, if the secret is overwhelming and the players don't learn it, then the game has a feel of "rocks fall, everybody dies". I think that is fair game in classic dungeoneering - ToH is full of it - but I personally don't care for classic dungeoneering as a playstyle, and hence include (iii) as a desideratum. Both the examples I gave satisfy (iii) - a skill challenge isn't lost with a single failure; and one invisilbe foe (who is otherwise part of a fairly designed encounter) isn't going to lead, in iteslf, to a TPK.

I think when the whole mansion is the scene, and the map is hidden in the bread-bin in the kitchen, there may well be a real risk of (ii) failing - both because the breadbins may have no inherent salience to the players as potential map repositories, and because the players are very dependent on the GM presenting the mansion to them by way of narration, and that narration may fail to engender the right sort of salience of breadbins in the kitchen (especially if the GM is worried that drawing attention to the bread bins may give away what s/he is hoping will be a puzzle).

I think there are also risks around (iii) - assuming that this map matters for whatever purpose, then failing to find it may be a "rocks fall"-type roadblock. (As [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION] alluded to in his most recent post.)

One way of thinking about the Gumshoe system is that it's really an attempt to circumvent (iii), by making sure that at least the basic clues are handed out automatically once the fictional positioining is more-or-less adequate. Which then removes a lot of the burden of (ii); but obviously also gives the game very much the flavour of "following the GM's story", I think.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
So I dug up pemerton's penchant for The Big Lie perpetrated by the Forge and his desire for continuing their historical revisionism of RPGs into a "storytelling" hobby.

These three elements of D&D - it's potential for story, the need for the GM to improvise, the importance of the fiction as an ingredient of play which is not simply algorithmic in its workings - have been there from the beginning. They didn't just spring into existence when White Wolf started publishing in the late 1980s.

As I understand it, the original post in that thread feeds nicely into his current polemics within this thread. Those three quoted elements of his are not just mind-boggling wrong falsehoods, but the continuing censorship and active deletion of the hobby of RPGs. It is simply and in every way false to consider RPGs as originally about improvisational story making or expressing fictional personalities --> two things that have absolutely nothing to do with gaming, role playing, or Dungeons & Dragons.

pemerton

Legend
So I dug up pemerton's penchant for The Big Lie perpetrated by the Forge and his desire for continuing their historical revisionism of RPGs into a "storytelling" hobby.
Putting to one side the melodramatics - I'm not censoring anyone with a "big lie" - neither I nor The Forge has ever asserted that RPGs are a "storytelling" hobby.

I do assert that RPGing always involves a shared fiction. "I walk down the corridor and brush away the cobwebs" isn't just a move on a gameboard, because the cobwebs aren't on the gameboard. The "exist" only in the imaginations of the participants.

The fact that RPGs involve shared fictions of this sort is what explains (i) why there is no limit on the possible range of player moves, and (ii) why they're different from boardgames.

I know from past discussions that you seem not to grasp the difference between a fiction - an imagined thing - and a story. But that's on you. The difference isn't very complicated.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Putting to one side the melodramatics - I'm not censoring anyone with a "big lie" - neither I nor The Forge has ever asserted that RPGs are a "storytelling" hobby.

I do assert that RPGing always involves a shared fiction. "I walk down the corridor and brush away the cobwebs" isn't just a move on a gameboard, because the cobwebs aren't on the gameboard. The "exist" only in the imaginations of the participants.

The fact that RPGs involve shared fictions of this sort is what explains (i) why there is no limit on the possible range of player moves, and (ii) why they're different from boardgames.

I know from past discussions that you seem not to grasp the difference between a fiction - an imagined thing - and a story. But that's on you. The difference isn't very complicated.
Obvious to any game designer who has read the Big Model, it is an intentional falsehood meant to subvert all gaming by treating gaming as the act of improvisational expression, which it is not. Read any actual game design theory for hundreds of years. Gaming is the act of goal seeking in a structural design, whether made by a person or not.

Narrative concepts and terminology are part of a fundamentally different culture which does not coincide with game culture. Yet you continue to perpetrate the lies of The Big Model when you continue to call elements of gaming "fictions" (a narrative term). There is no such thing as an actual fiction, I assume you know this. The theory of narratives is meant to be used pragmatically just as any other. Game elements are structures, mechanical designs which operate together in a single apparatus for the players to game (seek pre-existing goals within).

Yes, this means the cobwebs have to "be there", at least in the hidden game design the DM has behind the screen, if the players are going to be able to interact with them in any way. Players can believe whatever they choose about the actual hidden design. But it is up to the DM to objectively relate the current configuration when the players' pieces have the ability to discover such things.

To be clear, gaming is a repetitive act where the players can game a design, learn their scores, adjust their play, and improve their ability at the game over time. This is the opposite act of creative improv. It is also at the heart of roleplaying in D&D: mastering the game, demonstrating this by scoring points, going up in level, and being balanced against more difficult game designs.

What appalls me is your attempt to vilify the seminal moment of RPGs as "badwrongfun", when Arneson and Gygax took the massive and nuanced game designs from wargame tables and hid them behind screens. Thus enabling them to track highly detailed and vast game designs which players could game over 100s of hours as they advanced in their personal mastery of the game. By my understanding RPGS and D&D in particular are the first Hidden Design Games in history, and the type of game design almost all computer games follow as well. That Gary recognized that multiple manners of play and mastery were possible in games is something he's still ahead on when it comes to computer game design.

The Forge & the current vein of narrative theory they use (not just a theory at all to them, I propose) is nothing less than Anti-Game Theory. And and it is Anti-D&D. Regardless of whatever the latest brand name owners purvey.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Firstly, I'm now assuming that my summation of your position at the start of my post is agreed to. You didn't respond to that, but chose to selectively respond to portions of the rest of my post that assumes that to be true, so I'm given to assuming you have no issues with my summation -- ie, that your issue is DM fiat in ruling player action declarations are invalid due to information only known to the DM.

I agree that different systems call for different amounts of prep. 4e is very prep-heavy, for instance, and so I don't run it without my Monster Manuals and other tools handy.

But this sort of prep is (or, at least, can be) distinguished from pre-authoring the setting. Intricate maps create more pressure in that respect, I agree - but (speaking just from my own experience) this is where tried-and-true methods like prepping between sessions come in handy! (Eg the players have their PCs enter the Underdark - now you draw up your Underdark encounter map.)
How can it be distiinguished? You make this statement that there's a difference between creating an encounter map and pre-authoring setting details but don't actually provide an argument for the difference. To me, the only difference would be degree, not kind. For instance, if my pre-authored setting is Washington, DC, then play may occur anywhere within DC, including, possibly, the Monument. Play won't occur in, say, Timbuktu. If I build an encounter map of the Monument, though, then I'm saying play will occur in and around the Monument to the extent of my map and not, say, on Peachtree Avenue in Atlanta, GA. Both are acts of constraining the play and limiting fictional positioning prior to play. They only really differ in degree.

Or, are you referencing something else and trying to say that making an encounter map of the study, which concretely places walls, floors, furniture, etc., but not okay to place or not place a map in that study prior to play? In which case I must again ask, what's the difference? If I have an encounter map that has no couch, and my player wants to interact with a couch... is this not the same kind of pre-authoring a lack of a couch prior to play as the existence of a map in the study? If not, what's the difference, in your eyes?

OK. As per my reply just upthread to [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION], I can see that this is a thing but I'm not clear why it's a good thing? (Which is not to say it's a bad thing.)
Actually, that phrasing is akin to saying that if I cannot show it to be a good thing, then I'm left with only it being a thing or a bad thing. This is the kind of phrasing that makes people assume a negative outlook on your behalf.

If you accept that this is a thing, and a thing that people enjoy, what's the purpose of your question? Either you do not accept that this is a thing people enjoy, or you think this thing must be further justified to be a good thing. I reject that further justification is necessary.

Now, if you want me to prove to you that you should think it's a good thing, prepare to be disappointed.

How is "I search the study for the map - is it there?" authoring fiction as part of an action declaration?

Even if one looks at a mechanic like Circles in Burning Wheel, it can work in different ways, eg:

(1) "The head of my sorcerous cabal is Jabal the Red. I reach out to hin to see what he has to say." - fiction is authored in the action declaration.

(2) "Are there any knights of my order in these parts? I'm looking for signs of them as we travel." - no fiction is authored in the action declaration.​

This is why I take the view that the issue of player authorship of content, and the issue of "secret backstory" as a factor in resolution, are (in general) orthogonal.

Well, that depends, and forces us to expand the question. This really boils down into two cases: the existence of a map has not been previously introduced in play and the existence of a map has been previously introduced in play.

1) hasn't been introduced: in this case, this is creation of content. It's postulating anew that a map may exist. In this case, under secret backstory, the DM would reference notes and either validate that, yes, a map exists here or no, a map doesn't exist here based on those notes and any successful checks required. but, no fiction is authored by the player.

Under no secret backstory conditions, the player has now signaled that they wish to introduce a map, and the DM has to engage this hook and say yes or roll the dice. If the dice are rolled and successful, then the player has now introduced fiction. If the dice are unsuccessful, depending on how the DM chooses to use that failure, the map may still be introduced but with a complication, or it may not exist, or even it may exist but be destroyed by the looking. In most of those cases, the player will author fiction by asking for the map.

2) If the map has been previously introduced, then the only check is if it's in the study. In the secret backstory version, the GM checks notes and calls for checks almost exactly like before, with the answer determined exactly like before. But no fiction is authored by the player.

Under no secret backstory conditions, the DM either says yes or rolls the dice. Again, if yes or successful roll, the player has introduced that the map is, in fact, in the study. With a failure, it's up to the DM's choice whether the map exists in the study or not, so the player may still introduce fiction.

Unless I badly misunderstand your style of play, players are expected to include an outcome in their action declaration -- in effect, they provide the fiction to be added in case of a successful action declaration. This is, as I understand and have experienced, what you're playing to find out.

Given all of that, I find your question to be very confusing.

How can you say their orthogonal while arguing that secret backstory effectively precludes player authorship of content? You've said multiple times that secret backstory is used to cause player declarations to fail by fiat. That's very much impactful to player authorship of fiction, not orthogonal.

Not all player authorship, perhaps, but the introduction of content in play is not orthogonal to the existence of secret backstory, by your own arguments, much less mine.

A case that illustrates the contrast (and I'm basing this claim in experience) is the use of divination, knowledge skils etc. Consider "I cast object reading: what do I see?" This is a fairly common action declaration in my 4e game. It requires me to make stuff up to tell the players. (To relate this to the idea of prep - the idea that the GM has object reading notes for every item that comes up in the course of play seems absurd to me, and any player who doesn't work out that the GM is making this stuff up must be kidding him-/herself!)

In BW, that's not really a permissible action declaration, or at least is on the borderline - the player really needs at least to signal something about why s/he (as the PC) cares, or what s/he might be hoping to learn. But that's a feature of BW that depends upon its approach to backstory, but goes beyond what is merely part of that approach.
I don't see the contrast you're claiming. Neither of your examples seem to use secret backstory. This seems an example of content you, as DM, generate in play in response to player declarations and not anything you're checking your notes for.

Obviuosly the map example is an example that serves as a simple illustration and a place holder. In real life the context of actual play is everything.

I agree with you that the scope of the scene is important - one way of trying to characterise Gygaxian play would be that the whole dungeon is the scene. (I don't know that that sheds much light, but if one is determined to analyse Gygaxian play in scene-framing terms, that would be one way to do it.) Upthread I posted the following thoughts about secret backstory and resulting "fiat" failure as an aspect of scene scope:

I think when the whole mansion is the scene, and the map is hidden in the bread-bin in the kitchen, there may well be a real risk of (ii) failing - both because the breadbins may have no inherent salience to the players as potential map repositories, and because the players are very dependent on the GM presenting the mansion to them by way of narration, and that narration may fail to engender the right sort of salience of breadbins in the kitchen (especially if the GM is worried that drawing attention to the bread bins may give away what s/he is hoping will be a puzzle).

I think there are also risks around (iii) - assuming that this map matters for whatever purpose, then failing to find it may be a "rocks fall"-type roadblock. (As [MENTION=85870]innerdude[/MENTION] alluded to in his most recent post.)

One way of thinking about the Gumshoe system is that it's really an attempt to circumvent (iii), by making sure that at least the basic clues are handed out automatically once the fictional positioining is more-or-less adequate. Which then removes a lot of the burden of (ii); but obviously also gives the game very much the flavour of "following the GM's story", I think.

You establish that fictional positioning for some things, like an invisible opponent, is okay to have not meet the player's perception but other things, like the presence of a map, aren't not. This seems like special pleading, because those two things are actually very analogous. They only seem different because you're presenting them in opposite ways -- that the player is looking for a map that isn't there vs the player not looking for an invisible opponent that is. If we reverse the framing there, then we can have a case were a player is surprised by an map that they weren't looking for and be looking for an invisible opponent that isn't there. Certainly, if we frame a scene where there's a map on the wall, then there's no issue with the player looking at it. On the other hand, what do you do with the player that intentionally searches for an invisible opponent that isn't part of your encounter prep? Do you ask for a check and then provide another opponent?

I'm now actually very interested in how you would deal with a player declaring they're looking for an invisible opponent that you didn't prep for your 4e game. This seems directly relatable to the issue of the map in the study, and I'm curious if the answer is the same.

On a personal note, much of this is based on the fact that I do use secret backstory, but not in the way you present. For instance, I'd never put a map in a breadbox and not make that clear to the players. What the map shows is what is secret to me, it being in the breadbox and the players guessing where I put it is not something I'd do. I'd use the map to drive the play, as the players find out there's a map that will help them on whatever their current objective is, but they'll also find out it's in a breadbox, in the study, which belongs to the Dread Invisible Wizard Bob and guarded by DIW Bob's henchthugs. To me, guessing where to search for a map isn't fun -- it's pixelbitching at the table -- and something I avoid at all costs. When I build a scenario, I build it with challenging elements and a goal, but not a path to success. If something is important to move forward, then it's obvious but might be very hard to get to. Guessing what to do next sucks, but knowing you need to get to that breadbox in DIW Bob's study is cool; it's a challenge you can plan for and engage. Or, like my players most often do, stock up on healing potions and kick in the door and see what happens.

Remove ads