What is *worldbuilding* for?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Have you looked at the Personality Trait proficiency rules in the DMG? If so what do you think of them in contrast to FATE 's Aspect rules? Again I don't see it as exactly the same but it feels pretty close to me (from the player side, I'll readily admit 5e isn't built for something like aspects to define things outside of characters)... thought I wonder if keywords are similar in function...

EDIT: I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts on the actual play video I linked too...

Yes. They are much weaker. It's not close on the player side, although it is closer. I'm not much interested in watching others play on youtube. I am familiar with how FATE operates, and I have no serious beef with your description of the video -- you can play FATE that way very easily. However, the difference in systems becomes readily apparent in the resolution mechanics of the scenes -- in 5e, you have to color in the blank spaces of the system to get something that hacks closer to FATE but can't really get there, and if you start a combat, it skews heavily away as 5e drops in tactical, non-skill based resolutions and so immediately moves far away from even a Trait based proficiency. FATE never does.

I had originally thought your aim was to point out how 5e is a broad but shallow system -- it can, indeed, ape a number of aesthetics, but in a limited fashion. Now, however, it really seems like you're trying to make a strong case that 5e can do the same things FATE does regarding FATE's core, much narrower focus (FATE is narrow(er) but deep(er)). I cannot agree in the slightest. Other systems are designed to hit other notes, and 5e's broad range but lackluster voice doesn't it as well. Not really even close. I could, for an example I'm much more familiar with, run a heist game with 5e, but it's clunky and I'll have to work around the system quite often. 5e just doesn't offer the toolset necessary to do heists well outside of the extensive planning and (nearly) perfect execution runs. Blades in the Dark, however, does heists like is built for it (which it is) and has a very deep 'out of heist' mechanical drive to increase buy-in and story that 5e just doesn't have. Blades puts the heist front and center and builds an extensive set of interlocking and reinforcing mechanics to keep it there. 5e completely lacks these kinds of interlocking and reinforcing mechanics.

I'll agree that this particular use of personality traits is limited in depth insofar as it's effects mechanically on the game go (and I think this would be a positive in the situation I presented where it is a single player in a group who enjoys this type of experience vs. the entire group)... but 5e gives other options that tie a character's personality traits as well as their ideal/flaw and bonds into the game with more mechanical heft. If a player and DM are looking for more heft then I would point them to the Personality Trait Proficiency optional rules which ties there proficiency bonus to their personality traits & their ideals, bonds and flaws. This would be more in line with a group whose main focus is on this type of game.

But if you wanted more why didn't you engage with it more? Did you need the game to force you to engage with something you were looking for? OAN I would suggest you try out the optional rules above, they may give you more focus and mechanical heft when it comes to these.

Well I actually think it's possible to get a close and similar experience with just the rules in the DMG... but I'm also getting the feel that if something is optional in 5e (though we are discussing numerous FATE options) it's auto-discarded by some of the posters in this discussion... irregardless of it's actual merits because... well... optional...:confused:

I think, for me at least, when I play a game I want a game that puts the elements I'm interested in front-and-center. 5e has a subsystem that lets you do a sort of narrativist 'coupon' and its tied weakly to character traits. I think if I had a 1-10 scale, I'd put it at 3. The fact that it is optional isn't important to me in the sense that I 'forget about' optional things, it is important in the sense that it tells me the game was designed without that in mind and it is thus not central to how the game plays. FATE, on the same scale is a 9, and Aspects/FATE points are TOTALLY at the center of the game. You will engage this mechanic, all the time, in play. It creates a very different overall dynamic.

Obviously it is true that for some sensibilities there's likely something that is 'too much' and something else that is 'just enough', and 5e's PIBFs/Inspiration undoubtedly falls in that range for some set of people. I'm not really criticizing 5e at all, or minimizing this feature. It is what it is and that's fine. Tastes just vary, obviously. As long as its understood that FATE and 5e are on different parts of a continuum and serve somewhat different needs, that's cool.

But I posted a game run by the co creator of the game... I wouldn't say this is an apt description of how that game went. Do you believe he was running FATE incorrectly? Me personally I'm not so sure. I ran FATE Kerberos club and it was pretty similar to how his game played out. Yes we used Aspects but we used our skills, stunts and superpowers more.

Well the video I posted was run using just FATE core...

So we have an actual play... run by one of the designers which leans heavily on skills and less often on aspects... My takeaway from that is it shows that Aspects don't have to be as integral (though I do agree they are important) to the play of the game as they might seem to some...

My other takeaway is that a particular group can choose to make Aspects the focal point of play in the same way that a group playing 5e could make personality traits, ideals/flaws/bonds the focus of play.
I don't know what to say. I'd have to study it and figure out exactly what they're doing and which rules it engages. My experience/reading of FATE is that stunts which allow spending FATE points are very rare (there are none actually shown as examples in FATE Core itself) though it is stated this is a possibility. Failing that, then Aspects must be being engaged in order to spend FATE points. So, is it possible everyone could simply ignore the FATE point mechanics and just play FUDGE? Yeah, I guess.... I don't understand what the point of that would be!

IME the whole dynamic of FATE is the players are constantly looking for Aspects to Tag so they can get free invokes, which is a major incentive to pull in aspects. The GM is pushing you constantly into conflicts, which means leveraging your aspects, and almost certainly compelling them, which forces the players to spend FATE points, and then drives them to accept their own compels in order to acquire more. When things really get critical they will absolutely pull out all the stops and toss their points in to create new aspects to use for advantage (often by tagging them) and/or invoking aspects themselves.

One interesting variation we created was one where the FATE points are a closed system. Each time the GM or a player spends one, it goes into the pool of whomever the compel/invoke was aimed at (or to the GM in some cases, there's possible edge cases to deal with). That creates an even more dynamic type of setup and makes it so points can't really 'run down', which could happen in the classic version (though usually that just means the PCs suddenly get in hot water and then they're stocked up again!).

I'm still failing to see how FATE doesn't provide you with a complete game. Yes you have to make decisions around the rules and game setting...the same way a GM has to decide if Feats are available, multiclassing is allowed and if you're playing in the Forgotten Realms or somewhere else in D&D.
It depends on if you count core, or also the attached System Toolkit, Adversary Toolkit, and the games Atomic Robo, Frontier Spirit, Gods and Monsters, Sails Full of Stars, Three Rocketeers, Venture City, and War of Ashes. These are all now attached to the FATE Core SRD.

Have you looked at the Personality Trait proficiency rules in the DMG? If so what do you think of them in contrast to FATE 's Aspect rules? Again I don't see it as exactly the same but it feels pretty close to me (from the player side, I'll readily admit 5e isn't built for something like aspects to define things outside of characters)... thought I wonder if keywords are similar in function...
I tried to find this, but I wasn't able to come up with anything in the DMG such as you were asking about, do you have a page number reference?

I think keywords are usually considered to be suited for categorizing things. As such there is usually a fairly limited and bounded set of keywords. They certainly DO define things, and it isn't impossible those definitions could have significance in terms of role play. In 4e it is common to use them to key off of when trying out improvisations and such. I would think, however, that aspects should be more various than keywords, and more specific. A keyword might be something like 'enchantment' or 'fey', which is pretty general. An Aspect might be 'magical fey charm'. I think in this example case its close, but how about 'stylishly designed' or 'written in the style of Lambauge the Ugly'?

I think both are useful, in their own ways.

Remove ads