These Are DDB's Most Viewed D&D Adventures

D&D Beyond has published some stats on which Dungeons & Dragons adventures are the most viewed since the launch of the platform. These aren't sales, just how often adventures are viewed on D&D Beyond. Time is a factor - the longer something has been out, the higher its view count is likely to be. Dragon Heist ties with Curse of Strahd, leading the pack, with Rise of Tiamat bringing up the rear.

Out of curiosity, I also added my own column showing their rating on EN World.

Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.29.31.png

They also looked at the most viewed individual adventure chapters.

Screenshot 2019-01-26 at 10.32.19.png

Parmandur

Book-Friend
On a related note, has Ravnica killed Eberron and Planescape and stolen their stuff?

The guilds look like a mix between factions and dragonmarked houses, huge metropolis with planar gateways, magi-tech, etc.

What is there left to make Eberron and Planescape special?

There is no planar elements in Guildmasters Guide to Ravnica. The hyper-pulp action movie tropes of Eberron are totally different: you can do Eberron without any Dragon marked elements, but the Guilds *are* Ravnica, literally.

flametitan

Explorer
On a related note, has Ravnica killed Eberron and Planescape and stolen their stuff?

The guilds look like a mix between factions and dragonmarked houses, huge metropolis with planar gateways, magi-tech, etc.

What is there left to make Eberron and Planescape special?

To add on to what [MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION] said, Ravnica as a setting has no planar elements; what happens is that Ravnica seems to be a popular meeting place for planeswalkers, the primary cast of Magic's storyline. Planeswalkers cannot take anyone else with them, and there's currently no other way to hop planes without a planeswalker (with the exception of one device the antagonist stole in a whole other world).

Planescape, by contrast, is all about the planes. Now, theoretically, most of what planescape has to offer can be covered in a Manual of the Planes type book; however, such a generic manual of the planes would lack the "character" of the setting. This character is primarily based on the foundational principle that belief can cause actual change, and the resulting conflicts that it brews. The Blood war continues because both sides believe that their outlook on reality is correct, and because the those who haven't taken a side believe it better for the war to continue than for either side to win. The gods are in a neverending game of chess to convert others, as their ability to influence the world around them is tied to the amount of followers they have.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
To add on to what [MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION] said, Ravnica as a setting has no planar elements; what happens is that Ravnica seems to be a popular meeting place for planeswalkers, the primary cast of Magic's storyline. Planeswalkers cannot take anyone else with them, and there's currently no other way to hop planes without a planeswalker (with the exception of one device the antagonist stole in a whole other world).

Planescape, by contrast, is all about the planes. Now, theoretically, most of what planescape has to offer can be covered in a Manual of the Planes type book; however, such a generic manual of the planes would lack the "character" of the setting. This character is primarily based on the foundational principle that belief can cause actual change, and the resulting conflicts that it brews. The Blood war continues because both sides believe that their outlook on reality is correct, and because the those who haven't taken a side believe it better for the war to continue than for either side to win. The gods are in a neverending game of chess to convert others, as their ability to influence the world around them is tied to the amount of followers they have.

Due to the planes coverage in the Core books, I would think that a Planescape book would focus on Sigil as a hub for interdimensional hijinks: less "here's a data dump on the Plane of Fire" and more "Here's a series of tables for different potential conspiracies going on in Sigil."

Honestly, I don't see such a book having any serious overlap with Ravnica?

flametitan

Explorer
Due to the planes coverage in the Core books, I would think that a Planescape book would focus on Sigil as a hub for interdimensional hijinks: less "here's a data dump on the Plane of Fire" and more "Here's a series of tables for different potential conspiracies going on in Sigil."

Honestly, I don't see such a book having any serious overlap with Ravnica?

Oh a hypothetical Planescape book will definitely focus more on Sigil. I was talking terms more of Planescape as a campaign setting, and how that differs from Ravnica and even just a "Manual of the Planes," rather than what'd most likely see being published.

But yeah, in terms of what we'd realistically see published, it'll most likely be about Sigil and how it's a door between worlds, whereas Ravnica was about the major Guilds. (Though I'm hoping either way they work to develop the "character," of Planescape in a hypothetical Sigil book, as I kinda felt that was the main lacking element in Guildmaster's Guide)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
I wonder to what extent Curse of Strahd's success is related to its being an update of the original I6 Ravenloft for AD&D First Edition, a famous adventure with updates and conversions for almost every edition of D&D since it was published?

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that it's done so well simply due to fame (though that might be a factor) but because, despite the mechanical changes between the editions, the overall structure and format of the adventure has gotten a lot more mileage throughout the years, essentially "stress-testing" the foundation of the adventure.

Hopefully, the next few published campaigns continue in the Shadow Realm....

Cthulad

Explorer
I have the Ravnica book, but have not really gone through it. I am still looking for more SpellJammer. I loved Planescape in 2nd, and 3rd, but the lack of space fairing, and portal jumping so far in 5th is a little disappointing.
I run with what I can, and since I am home brewing, I can work it altogether.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases