Skills using different ability scores

Coroc

Hero
I m totally fine with a dwarf warrior intimidating with his tough constitution aka hard to kill, Str for intimidate I allow anytime also dex for a dex based fighter who could do some blade twirling to intimidate.

Over all I like this houserule, because 5e is not designed for MAD builds.

I m totally fine with a dwarf warrior intimidating with his tough constitution aka hard to kill, Str for intimidate I allow anytime also dex for a dex based fighter who could do some blade twirling to intimidate.

Over all I like this houserule, because 5e is not designed for MAD builds.

Doesn't that encourage builds to be even more SAD and dump stats to be even more prevalent?

I

Immortal Sun

I kinda wish they'd separate ability scores from skills and just allow DMs to make the call on what ability applies (or IF one applies at all).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Just thought of another ability/skill combo. I could see a Strength (animal handling) check to bring a horse which is running wild under control.

5ekyu

Hero
Doesn't that encourage builds to be even more SAD and dump stats to be even more prevalent?
Con intimidate - state at him while slowly stabbing point of dagger into my leg, drawing blood, saying nothing... yup.

DeX intimidate - put three darts in bullseye then work fourth dart between fingers as we chat. Yep

As for SAD - nope. Remember it cuts both ways, the ability score used depends on the task and so if a climbing check is of the type that needs dex not strength they dont get to choose strength. Just as the characters can choose at times an approach that drives toward their strengths by the nature of the beast, so can the nature of the beast drive to the other stats.

In my experience its locking ability score to skill (instead of a mix/match by approach and need) that makes SAD more viable not less. Having played many games with "ability and skill" with many that married them in pairs and many that let them be independent - you get a ton more SAD and dump stats in the "paired" because they are more predictable as to what you need.

If 5e had divorced ability scores and skills in a sort of ability-verb & skill-noun (or maybe adverb and verb is more accurate) style presentation, you would see a lot less SAD imo.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I've used INT (Insight) for tactics and strategy checks. You are trying to get into the head of the enemy and figure out what they are planning so you can counter.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I just had a random thought while putting together a barbarian for a game I will be playing in. A barbarian making a strength (intimidation) check can rage and gain advantage on the roll possibly causing the target of the intimidation check to make a mess in their pants. The rage would wear off fairly quickly since they aren't in a combat situation, but if they really needed that intimidation roll to succeed then that would be a good way to improve those odds.

Li Shenron

Legend
I think it helps to generally think first in terms of Ability and only then in terms of which proficiency might help the character.

So for example anything that requires a prolonged effort (physical or mental) could be a constitution check, and anything that is about influencing other people is a charisma check. Then consider which skill proficiency is most relevant to the situation and can be applied.

But in all games I've played, the players and DMs seem to have an easier time just thinking straight at the skill, so it kind of takes a conscious choice to switch playing to use the other approach.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases