Please remove Demiplane of Dread Story Award next season

Nagol

Unimportant
You are either griping about 1 of 3 things.
1. They said everything must be portable. THIS MEANS ALL MY PCS. Not one pc can be hurted by any season flair. My PC can not be hurted at all.
2. You are griping just to gripe the portability issue...
3. My PC is wanting to farm items from select modules.

unless my maths is wrong. You be in Tier 3 before you get to 150 days. Unless you getting min xp.

Assuming, of course, you can find an AL DM to run more CoS adventures after you accepted going on the first one. Cos award kept me out of AL for that season because my public table time is inconsistent and I didn't expect I would get in enough adventures to manage to leave the demiplane. I could bother to develop a larger stable of characters but my table time is limited and inconsistent. If I'm not advancing the PC I want to or have another overriding reason to play (like a friend wants to ) then I'll find something else to do. I'm not going to start a CoS game if I think my PC will end up abandoned because I miss the next 3 adventures and I am unsure if I will find someone to run them when I can make it. Similarly, I'm not going to run a ToH game with a character who's died because I don't know when or if I'll ever be in a position to relieve the death curse.

jasper

Rotten DM
Nagol, you are griping about your public table being irregular. That is a table and work problem not a season problem. My current game store does the following.
Friday. Tier 1 ran by head dm the season will vary. If the tier 1 does not make, head dm has a backup tier 2. I run the hardcover. If additional table is needed a player will drop out and dm. That table you don't know what you going to get.
Saturday. Best call this a pick up day. Tier and season varies with the dm which shows up. Most of the time the dm will announce what he plans on running. However Saturday is a bad day for the group as work schedules, and social schedules change quickly. Most of the dms will post that they been called in to work.
Sunday At least a tier 1 table for the new people, established players will have tier 1 pc to round out a table. Second table depends on the dm, they generally announce what they planning.

Nagol

Unimportant
It's more "I can only devote so many hours to gaming and am running at least one of my own campaigns" problem.

How may of those tables are CoS adventures as opposed to the current season or older seasons? If you're not running one regularly, then how do you expect people to move out of Ravenloft if they do play an adventure from that season? If you have one consistently and plan to continue that pattern for a year or two after the most recent time a tier 1 adventure in Ravenloft is run (competing with all the new seasons and the current choices) then there is a chance people with PCs trapped might be able to get out if they can only game every 4-6 weeks.

jasper

Rotten DM
Oh noe. One pc in 9,000 is trapped in Ravenloft. Simple solution. Pick up paper. Tear up pc. Toss in can. Be happy that you played d&d for those hours.
Wait a minute you running you own campaign? Dm xp is the solution.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
[MENTION=277]jasper[/MENTION]

Your condescending tone doesn’t help any, nor do half your responses. Who cares what you gaming store schedule is? It's not even relevant.

Do you know anyone who even still runs S4 content? No one. There's a reason for that. It's because no one wants to lose their character to a stupid story reward. I had 2 characters get locked in because I can't make it every week. It isn't just a portabolity issue. It's also a frequency of play issue. AL needs to be not just portable, but also drop on/drop out. Demiplane of Dread works against both of these core tenets of Organized Play. Story rewards shouldn't undermine the basic core of your program. Reward players who can make it, but don't punish those who can't.

Luckily I was abke to buy my bard out of Barovia, but my druid wasn’t so lucky. I had to rely on DM mercy letting me go into DTD debt to play her at a con. Ad now I can't play her and get dinosaur forms because of the damn death curse, another poorly thought out story "reward".

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

[MENTION=277]jasper[/MENTION]

Your condescending tone doesn’t help any, nor do half your responses. Who cares what you gaming store schedule is? It's not even relevant.

Do you know anyone who even still runs S4 content? No one. There's a reason for that. It's because no one wants to lose their character to a stupid story reward. I had 2 characters get locked in because I can't make it every week. It isn't just a portabolity issue. It's also a frequency of play issue. AL needs to be not just portable, but also drop on/drop out. Demiplane of Dread works against both of these core tenets of Organized Play. Story rewards shouldn't undermine the basic core of your program. Reward players who can make it, but don't punish those who can't.

Luckily I was abke to buy my bard out of Barovia, but my druid wasn’t so lucky. I had to rely on DM mercy letting me go into DTD debt to play her at a con. Ad now I can't play her and get dinosaur forms because of the damn death curse, another poorly thought out story "reward".

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

We shouldn't say that being trapped in Barovia isn't a problem. It can be. But there are ways out and no one forces a PC to have to go there.

As I've said, I think character portability is important in AL but I was also swayed by the Admins' assertion that one thing they want to do is shake up AL in different ways each season to keep it fresh. Some ideas would work and others, well, not so well. Having had a couple of characters survive Barovia I think that the Mists should be respected and that anyone going there should have to earn their way back out.

jasper

Rotten DM
And your work drop in and drop out schedule is not relevant. If you knew before hand you were going to locked in. And you knew your work schedule would not allow you to complete the season, Why did you play in the first place? So you options are
No not going play in that season. I going to play a one shot pc. Or I going to play and gripe about it.

Nagol

Unimportant
Oh noe. One pc in 9,000 is trapped in Ravenloft. Simple solution. Pick up paper. Tear up pc. Toss in can. Be happy that you played d&d for those hours.
Wait a minute you running you own campaign? Dm xp is the solution.

I don't have 9,000 PCs. The more correct ratio for me would be 1 in 1 characters is lost; chuck it and start over. Or you know, don't bother.

Simpler solution: never play those adventures. Even simpler solution: never play AL since it keeps introducing such excellent well-thought out and inclusive additional rules and requirements.

My campaign is a home game -- not AL (not even D&D right now). I prefer to run using my own rulings and with people I want to run with; running public play hasn't been my thing since the '80s.

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
And your work drop in and drop out schedule is not relevant.

It is entirely relevant. It's kind of why there are complaints about the DT cost for leaving barovia.

No not going play in that season.

Season 4 ended years ago. No one is playing in that season. Just mods here and here as they are offered. That's kind of the problem.

I going to play a one shot pc.

Not if they are only running Tier 2 from Barovia (which is what is happening at my local game day this Sunday). So this is not a solution.

Or I going to play and gripe about it.

Or not play and still gripe about it. Because this is America.

Or ask the Admins if they can remove a DT penalty that is no longer relevant for a set of mods that were barely enjoyable even when it WAS season 4 and it made sense to have characters trapped there.

So far the answer to that is "No", but it doesn't hurt to ask. Well, it seems to hurt some people because they sound really upset about the question even being asked, but you know. Most people.

Remove ads