WotC Salvage: 101 Warlock Patrons

flametitan

Explorer
No love for the Pact of the Undying? Here's one I made for my own world:

Adinamtar, the Ageless: Thousands of years ago, Adinamtar was a nameless mortal, just like any other. However, when his brother was falsely accused of assassinating one of Vor Rukoth's nobility and executed, he made his plans to eventually overthrow lady Vajala. Devoting himself to the now dead god of disease and pestilence, Namtar, he formed a small cult that would help him carry out his goals.

Of course, when Vajala ascended to lichdom, it was natural for Adinamtar to follow that path as well. Now, Adinamtar's agents are numerous, working to collect magical artifacts and vassalize rival undead lords.

Chaosmancer

Legend
[MENTION=6801228]Chaosmancer[/MENTION]
Thank you for this list. There is a ton here to use for inspiration. XP for you!

Not a problem, I'd actually forgotten I'd saved this thread when the WoTC forums went under

Since we've got Hexblades, why not something my party just recently found

Oseija the Obsession: The massive Greatsword was forged by Helja Bladeringer, Firstborn of the Dwarves who went mad with the desire to forge a weapon more powerful than the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords. In her jealousy and frustration over repeated failures, she forged her own left arm into a blade. When that too failed to pass the test, she was broken. Leaving the sword, Helja vanished, but the Sword came to be possessed by her rage, despair, and obsession with perfection, and with a fragment of a demi-gods soul, it is a terrible fource.

And, to even out the new arrivals, why not a Celestial Patron

Larishala: There are many compromises that were made at the beginning of the world. Pelor, the God of Healing, desires the removal of all diseases and injuries from the world, but he cannot simply provide aid for no cost. So, at the peak of the Mountain of Ja-Ril lies a simple shrine attended to by a divine being known as Larishala, Light of the Sun. Those who climb or are carried up the mountain may be cured of any illness or injury, excepting death itself. In exchange Larishala tasks the healed to give up their place in the world and serve Pelor and his causes for 10 years. After which they may give up their powers and return to the world or continue to serve as a Lightbringer.

I figure the slaad lords are good for GOO patrons, so how about:

Ssendam: the lord of insanity gives out its patronage in a random fashion, and those that approach it for power might end up a warlock, a wild magic sorcerer, infested with a slaad, lunch, or some combination of the above.

I have long thought that the modron lord Primus would be a good GOO patron:

Contracts are defined by laws, so on occasion, Primus will make a contract with a mortal in order to demonstrate the power of law. Primus' warlocks don't have to be lawful, but they are required to tell anyone who asks that they got their power from a contract (Primus tends to inflict a geas on its warlocks to make sure this is followed through).

Neth the Plane that Lives (Great Old One), from the Planescape Campaign Setting. It's quite curious about the multiverse, and occasionally consumes living beings to absorb their knowledge. It also has sends out parts of itself in the form of Nethlings, who are shapeshifting beings of not well-formed flesh and were a PC race. A Warlock of Neth could be a Nethling themselves, and might have been someone who was consumed by the living plane.

Apomps the Three-sided One (Fiend), is the lord of the Gehreleths/Demodands from Carceri, Apomps was once a Baernaloth that was exiled, and now seeks to destroy the other Baernaloths and their Yugoloth creations.

Supreme General Absalom (Celestial), the supreme general of the Grand Celestial Host of the Asuras, an army of wrathful and fiery Angels from the Chaotic upper planes. He or many of the other lesser Asuras would probably be quite in imbuing mortals with the ability to scourge their enemies as the Asuras as very much the rivals of the Devas and don't tend to serve any Gods.

The Silver Flame (Celestial), while there certainly are Clerics and Paladins of the Silver Flame in Eberron, it's more of an energy source. I remember there being some class or prestige class for someone who channeled the Silver Flame. In 5e that's very much a Celestial Pact Warlock.

Ravana (Fiendish) from Hindu mythology Ravana is the King of the Rakshasas, he has Ten heads and seeks to dominate the Gods.

The various Celestial Lords which include:
The Archon rulers Barachiel, Domiel, Erathaol the Seer, Pistis Sophia, Raziel, Sealtiel the Defende and Zaphkiel of the Celestial Hebdomad.
The Guardinals champions: Talisid the Celestail Lion, Bharrai the Great Bear, Kharash the Stalker, Manath the Horned Duke, Sathia the Sky Duchess and Vhara Duchess of the Field.
The Eladrin Rulers who could be either Fey Pact or Celestial Pact: Morwel the Queen of Stars, Faerinaal the Queen's Consort and Gwynharwyf the Whirling Fury.

Remove ads