D&D 5E Counterspell check ?

It is somewhat strange?

Yes. That's why I said "technically." It is strange and I would strongly consider house-ruling it somehow. For instance, I might say that you can cast any bonus action spell using your regular action, if you choose, which would avoid the issue. So far this hasn't come up as a problem though.

Jack99

Adventurer
Sorry. But I think you got it wrong. Spellcasting ability = Int. To set DC of spells you add your prof bonus to said spellcasting ability modifier. The same with regards to your spell attack modifier. You add your prof bonus to your spellcasting ability modifier. So when dispel magic and counterspell calls for an spellcasting ability check, it's without the prof. bonus.

keterys

First Post
That could be. It's possible you don't have proficiency in spellcasting, but just add the proficiency bonus in every stated use of it. You're probably right. Maybe? It's atypical to how they're handling the system to work that way, and fits the rest of the system better to get the proficiency bonus.

Interesting.

Maybe there's something official about which way it goes somewhere. In the meantime, the proficiency bonus is small enough you can get away with whatever way you want.

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
Using Wizard as example but it is the same with all the classes, just replace Int with the appropriate ability score.

SPELLCASTING ABILITY
Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your wizard spells, since you learn your spells through dedicated study and memorization.
You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability.

In addition, you use your Intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a wizard spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

Pretty clear that your spellcasting ability is just your ability modifier, and you only add your proficiency bonus to it in the case of setting your spell save DC's and when you make a spell attack. Counterspelling and Dispel checks only use the modifier and not your proficiency bonus.

That is a 10-30% extra chance to counter the spells so seems like a big deal to me.

DaveDash

Explorer
Only Bards and Abjurers get to add their 1/2 or full proficiency bonus to counter spell. All other casters AFAIK just use their spell casting ability. Abjurers can be exceptionally powerful against casters because of this.

You *can* counterspell a counterspell with a reaction. I've had a battle in which a group of casters did a chain of about 4 counterspells in one fight (trying to prevent one Hold Person spell).

Remove ads