D&D 5E D&D's Monk Way of the Sun Soul in 'Xanathar's Guide To Everything'

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Summary: Monk Way of the Sun Soul. Monk who can hurl energy bolts. Short ranged attacks which can be augmented by Ki. A radiant version of fireball at higher levels. Adds an element of versatility to monks. Sort of has a Street Fighter (video game) element to it. Fits in well with a monk tied to a specific deity, like a monastic monk, though not required.

[video=youtube;jZ8x9-TMoNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ8x9-TMoNU[/video]

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I really liked this in the Sword Coast's guide. Still not entirely behind all the repeats into Xanathar's, but it is what it is.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I don't get it. Why would they re-release the sun soul monk? If the version presented in the SCAG is problematic, I would prefer they address that reasoning and proposed changes in a UA. Doing this makes me wonder if they are just trying to pad their page count.

Also, I second [MENTION=6788732]cbwjm[/MENTION]. What flaws are there in the Sun Soul Monk? Seems like a mechanically sound archetype to me.

Frankly, the Sun Soul Monk in Xanathar's isn't very good. It starts off pretty okay with giving monks a badly-needed ranged attack feature that can hit for (unarmed strike damage + dexterity mod), getting extras by spending 1 ki point or getting Extra attack -- of course, since it's a ranged spell attack, it doesn't stack with Sharpshooter. And it's only 30 feet, anyway. But Searing Arc Strike becomes an increasing waste of ki points (you will not care about spending a ki point as a bonus action for 3d6 damage, dex half, nor about dumping more ki points to increase the damage die by 1d6) as you level. And Searing Sunburst is just curiously bad. It's 150 feet and an action, and it is a 20-foot radiant burst, but it's on a Constitution save (ugh) and does 2d6 damage (UGH). You can spend more ki points, up to 3, for an additional 2d6 per ki point. It's like having a cut-rate fireball, only it targets a much worse save and it eats up from a 4th to a 6th of your resources. Sun Shield is just plain bad as a capstone. Shed light as a bonus action and if you get hit with a melee attack, use your reaction to deal 5 radiant damage plus wisdom modifier.

It's an awful subclass. None of its features meaningfully stack with what a monk typically does in combat and except for Radiant Sun Bolt it doesn't provide options worth the opportunity cost. Don't take it unless you feel that monks are too powerful and you need to nerf yourself.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
It's an awful subclass. None of its features meaningfully stack with what a monk typically does in combat and except for Radiant Sun Bolt it doesn't provide options worth the opportunity cost. Don't take it unless you feel that monks are too powerful and you need to nerf yourself.

I wouldn't go that far. I played one in a one-shot and I thought it was a pretty fun class.

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't know how it was presented in SCAG but it doesn't sound very FR-specific to me, nor does it sound deity-bound at all. The flavor I get is "Monk full with the power of light", which isn't actually bad at all, at least if you don't bring up references to manga or videogames.

Originally I hated the inclusion of this subclass in XGE, but I am now ok with it, only sorry that it took the place of the Undying Warlock which IMHO would have been much more cool.

CapnZapp

Legend
Frankly, the Sun Soul Monk in Xanathar's isn't very good. It starts off pretty okay with giving monks a badly-needed ranged attack feature that can hit for (unarmed strike damage + dexterity mod), getting extras by spending 1 ki point or getting Extra attack -- of course, since it's a ranged spell attack, it doesn't stack with Sharpshooter. And it's only 30 feet, anyway. But Searing Arc Strike becomes an increasing waste of ki points (you will not care about spending a ki point as a bonus action for 3d6 damage, dex half, nor about dumping more ki points to increase the damage die by 1d6) as you level. And Searing Sunburst is just curiously bad. It's 150 feet and an action, and it is a 20-foot radiant burst, but it's on a Constitution save (ugh) and does 2d6 damage (UGH). You can spend more ki points, up to 3, for an additional 2d6 per ki point. It's like having a cut-rate fireball, only it targets a much worse save and it eats up from a 4th to a 6th of your resources. Sun Shield is just plain bad as a capstone. Shed light as a bonus action and if you get hit with a melee attack, use your reaction to deal 5 radiant damage plus wisdom modifier.

All of which was known a long time ago, when the subclass hit UA.

Sigh.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads